Author Topic: Earfuze Earplugs  (Read 2029 times)

Offline crashdb

• 2010 C14
Earfuze Earplugs
« on: June 19, 2011, 04:21:11 PM »
I made a post on this (sort of) not that long ago.  I know it got moved.  Now I can't find it.  I'm not even sure it's in the right place this time (sorry, Jim).  I did search and apparently, it floated off into the nether.  On the other hand, I'm sure someone will find it and throw some egg in my face.

Anyway.  I bought a set of these earplugs.  Basically, they send you a kit that includes earphones to make your very own custom earplugs.  I was hesitant at first to get them.  All I could think of was me screwing them up and basically having thrown the money into the garbage.  But $45 sure beats the hundreds that other folks are charging so I decided to give it a shot.  And they DO include a practice mold.

First off, my worry was baseless.  I figured that out after I did the practice plug.  Read the directions, watch the online video, and just do it already.  I couldn't believe how easy it was and how good it turned out.  And I had a repeat when I got down to the real ones.  I now have custom-molded earplugs. 

The earphones were my other worry.  They're not bad at all.  I actually was somewhat impressed with the sound quality.  They'll work great on the bike and I have a trip to NY in August to make.  I'm ready to go.

If you've always wanted custom earplugs, but balked at the price I say give this a shot.  I really feel they could charge twice what they are and still do a good business.  I'm plenty pleased.
I feel like a new person!

Offline bbroj

• To be determined...
Re: Earfuze Earplugs
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011, 08:04:24 PM »
I'm glad you are pleased with them. I also bought a set of these some time ago and did not have a positive experience with them. The custom portion of the earplug tended to pull the earphone portion out of my ear canal and I did not get the sound isolation I was looking for. I may have been partially at fault, even after reading the instructions and watching the video, I may not have inserted the earphones into my ears far enough before forming the custom portion around them. The molds came out fine and did not fall out, but the phones did not stay seated in my ear canals. I contacted Ear Fuze trying to see if there was a solution, even suggesting I purchase new mold kits, but they were not accomodating. I eventually peeled the custom portion away from the earphone and use them around the house for lawn mowing etc. with my MP3 player. They seem to isolate sound (for me, at least) better without the custom fitted portion. My long term solution for noise cancelation and music/communications on the bike is foam earplugs and Sena SMH-10 bluetooth communications.
'12 C-14, Vance and Hines CS One muffler, lowered pegs, tank bra, bar risers, Phil's Farkles rack with Givi V46 top box, fender extender, Bucks tail brights, Canyon Cages and much more to come!
COG 9331
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?action=dlattach;attach=1302;type=avatar&time=1422479190

Offline riverbound51

• It's all about the ride.
Re: Earfuze Earplugs
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2011, 08:37:54 PM »
I also tried these.  The molded earpiece was comfortable enough and sort of gave me some noise reduction from wind noise, etc.  The worst part was the headphones themselves that they supply and that you include into the mold.  The headphones, gave poor sound quality.  Increasing the volume so that I could hear my music, while only using my treadmill, resulted in distortion so badly that I could only use them at a lower volume.

I don't know if I got a bad pair of headphones in the kit I purchased, but if I was to do it again, I would supply my own headphones.  The mold was comfortable and I wish they would have worked out better.

I use the Etymotic 6i that others have recommended, and could not be happier.
2008 Concours 14
Always looking for the road less traveled
www.odysseymotorcycletouring.com