Author Topic: Tire pressure sensor question  (Read 4945 times)

Offline SkylineNZ

Tire pressure sensor question
« on: May 13, 2011, 08:27:55 AM »
Probably pretty silly, but I can't find a good answer anywhere.  I'm swapping the OEM tires out before a long trip.  I'd like to make the tire change happen at a local honda dealership (it's much closer to me and I hate the local Kawasaki shop). 

Anybody know if they need to reset the TPMS sensor with a new tire install?  I'm planning on reusing the existing TPMS sensors, it's a 2010.

Bob

Re: Tire pressure sensor question
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 08:51:45 AM »
No. Just make them aware that they are inside the wheels on the valve stems. As long as they do not hit and damage them, nothing else will be required. They should work find one your new tires are aired up and on the bike. Of course you may have to ride a short distance down the street to get the sensors to wake up and send info again to display on the dash panel.

Offline SkylineNZ

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 08:56:50 AM »
Awesome - thanks for the quick reply.  Time to take a trip to the shop.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2011, 11:45:20 PM »
No. Just make them aware that they are inside the wheels on the valve stems. As long as they do not hit and damage them, nothing else will be required. They should work find one your new tires are aired up and on the bike. Of course you may have to ride a short distance down the street to get the sensors to wake up and send info again to display on the dash panel.

+1...

I had my PR3's put on at a non-Kawi dealer because the $ was right, no problem as long as they're aware of the TPS and careful...

Offline jamiemac

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2011, 12:11:27 AM »
They should be used to doing tires with tps units inside, since many Goldwings have that option also.
2008 C14, Area-P carbon fiber, PCV, Rostra Cruise, LAAM leather seat, Optilux 1500 & MondoMoto MM10 lights, Cee Bailey windshield, BMC air filter, Warm & Safe dual dash mounted heat troller.

Offline galaxieman

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2011, 05:16:27 PM »
Definitely tell them you have sensors... I was not specific about it this morning and the local Honda shop broke one.  Which means, if I'm reading the other threads correctly, that I'll have to take the bike over to the Kawa shop after I get the tires reinstalled (brought in the wheels, I'll be damned if I let a shop touch my bike for anything other than warranty work) to have them link up the new TPMS sensor with the ECU.  Yay.
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparat bellum.

Offline SkylineNZ

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2011, 07:24:28 PM »
No issues to report with the tire change - the Honda shop swapped the tires, TPMS worked just fine afterwards.

As an aside, I went to program a 2010 spare (credit card/wallet) fob this afternoon at a Kawasaki shop.  The tech was nice enough to let me watch/help navigate through the KDS 3 software.  The tire pressure sensor programming is definitely on the main screen.