Author Topic: Oil Consumption  (Read 6761 times)

Offline Sea Level

Oil Consumption
« on: May 13, 2011, 09:50:05 AM »
I ride a 2011 with about 2000 miles on it. At 800 miles it was changed over to Mobil 1 synthetic. My question is, what are you guys seeing for miles before needing to add oil? Also, are you seeing any drop in clutch or brake fluid over time?

Offline Conrad

Re: Oil Consumption
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 09:53:55 AM »
Not for me, no fluid loss at all.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline jayke

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 09:56:16 AM »
On my 2008 and at almost 30K I've never added oil between oil changes.  I run good old dino.  I check it maybe every couple of months.

As the brake pads wear the level will drop.  It will come back up when you replace the pads.  I've never added clutch or brake fluid in four years either.

Enjoy your new bike and stop worrying ;D

Offline CrashKLRtoConnie

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2011, 10:10:08 AM »
My Thoughts Regarding Fluid Level Drops:

You should see a drop in clutch and brake levels over time as the pads / rotors and clutch plates wear down (get thinner).

For many cars the engine oil consumption was deemed by the mfg as excessive was if you burned more than 1 qtr per 1,000 miles.

Any members of this forum see oil burning during long freeway touring trips?

I would not expect any front fork, rear drive oil loss or coolant loss unless you have a leak.

If you have a sealed battery, you should also not need to worry about battery fluid. (unless if goes flat and you let it freeze - crack)

I have never seem any bike I have owned burn any significant amount of oil, but I change the oil often and have never seen any blue oil smoke.

I have seen older HD and British Bikes burn significant levels of oil.
2008 C14 GTR1400 AKA "Connie"

Offline Sea Level

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 10:12:12 AM »
Enjoy your new bike and stop worrying ;D

:)

Just prepping for my trip in a few weeks from Boston to The Dragon and Beyond!

Offline JoeR

• COG 9284 / AMA 668669
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2011, 10:32:28 AM »
I ride a 2011 with about 2000 miles on it. At 800 miles it was changed over to Mobil 1 synthetic. My question is, what are you guys seeing for miles before needing to add oil? Also, are you seeing any drop in clutch or brake fluid over time?

Never had to add oil between changes.  Brake fluid goes down according to how much pads wear.  If it's leaking, you'll see it on the wheel rims.  I've never had to add brake fluid between brake fluid changes.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2011, 10:40:20 AM »
There usually is no need to add any oil between oil changes on most modern engines, the C-14 included.

The brake reservoir level will go down as the pads wear and the pistons have to extend to make up for that. You still should not have to add any fluid to either brake system even as the pads reach end- of- life. Remember that when you squeeze the pistons back into the calipers, that fluid will be driven back into the reservoir so don't overfill the brake reservoirs, especially when the pads are considerably worn.

The clutch hydraulics should not change level. The clutch actuation does not change as the clutch plates wear; the clutch always has the same amount of travel regardless of how far the pressure plate actually moves.

You should not need to carry any kind of extra fluid, and you should not have to worry or think about it on your trip. I look very occasionally to see that the oil level is somewhere in the sight glass, just to make sure the crankcase has sufficient oil in it. After that, no need to worry about any fluids other than air in the tires and even then you will be helped along by the on- board TPS sensors.

Brian

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Restless

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2011, 03:43:17 PM »
There usually is no need to add any oil between oil changes on most modern engines, the C-14 included.

The brake reservoir level will go down as the pads wear and the pistons have to extend to make up for that. You still should not have to add any fluid to either brake system even as the pads reach end- of- life. Remember that when you squeeze the pistons back into the calipers, that fluid will be driven back into the reservoir so don't overfill the brake reservoirs, especially when the pads are considerably worn.

The clutch hydraulics should not change level. The clutch actuation does not change as the clutch plates wear; the clutch always has the same amount of travel regardless of how far the pressure plate actually moves.

You should not need to carry any kind of extra fluid, and you should not have to worry or think about it on your trip. I look very occasionally to see that the oil level is somewhere in the sight glass, just to make sure the crankcase has sufficient oil in it. After that, no need to worry about any fluids other than air in the tires and even then you will be helped along by the on- board TPS sensors.

Brian

+1 'Nuff said   ;)
2010 Connie w/ABS

"Why is there never enough time to do the job right the first time but always enough time to do it over?"

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2011, 07:27:20 AM »
My 08 has used a little oil from day one.  I need to add about 8 oz per 6000 miles to keep the oil level visible in the sight glass.  I use Shell Rotella 5w40 synthetic. I tried some Motul 10w40 MC oil to see if it would reduce consumption but the improvement was minimal.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline Y0ssarian

• Arena
  • 97% chance of being hit by a piano
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2011, 08:13:25 AM »
:)

Just prepping for my trip in a few weeks from Boston to The Dragon and Beyond!

The words of the prophets are written on the cylinder walls.

Offline Sea Level

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2011, 09:21:49 AM »

It's a beautiful thing! I'm still soliciting for people to ride with on this trip!

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2011, 09:28:03 AM »
Zero reduction of engine oil between changes on my bike.

Offline koval68

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2011, 10:19:35 AM »
Same here!
Tom"Killer"Kowalski   COG#9263  Newmarket,Ontario
"Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's need,  but not every man's greed."
- Mahatma Gandhi

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2011, 10:32:15 AM »
Wow, sorry to hear that Conrad. How long has it been?

;D

Brian

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Conrad

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2011, 10:34:12 AM »
Wow, sorry to hear that Conrad. How long has it been?

;D

Brian

*checks his watch*     8)

Funny guy you.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline S.Ga.Rider

« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2011, 12:07:42 PM »
Mine hasnt used any in the 9k miles I have owned it.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2011, 02:52:13 PM »
*checks his watch*     8)

Funny guy you.

Both of you fit that description....
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.