Author Topic: Low Fuel indicater disables other computer functions?  (Read 11916 times)

Offline Peter2011C14

Low Fuel indicater disables other computer functions?
« on: May 13, 2011, 03:37:33 PM »
For the first time, the "LOW FUEL" warning came on when just a bit before that, "RANGE" indicated 40 -60 miles?

Once Low Fuel was blinking, the display could not be changed?  Is this normal?

When I put fuel in, it took 4.837 gallons which meant I had nearly a gallon left, if the spec of 5.8 gallons is correct.

Peter
1993 Honda CBR1000F
1998 Triumph Adventurer
2011 C14 ABS Atomic silver
COG Member #769

Offline Conrad

Re: Low Fuel indicater disables other computer functions?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 03:39:34 PM »
Hold the top button in and then press and release the bottom button, then release the top button. The display will go back to normal and the red warning LED will light.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline RBX QB

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 03:45:21 PM »
Hold the top button in and then press and release the bottom button, then release the top button. The display will go back to normal and the red warning LED will light.

You know, I tried that the other day, red light came on, but "LOW FUEL" still kept going. I think it was a conspiracy.
2011 Concours 14 ABS
2̶0̶0̶6̶ ̶D̶u̶c̶a̶t̶i̶ ̶M̶o̶n̶s̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶S̶2̶R̶D̶  SOLD

Offline Peter2011C14

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2011, 03:50:19 PM »
Thanks Conrad.  I will give that a try next time.  Actually, I was only trying the button on the left handlebar behind the other controls.

Peter
1993 Honda CBR1000F
1998 Triumph Adventurer
2011 C14 ABS Atomic silver
COG Member #769

Bob

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 04:02:16 PM »
That's a real good design, now isn't it!  :o

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2011, 04:45:14 PM »
Yes 'Bob', it is.  We loves it we does.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2011, 05:38:15 PM »
ROFLMAO.... slowly but surely Cap'n Bob reverts to his original form. It is like watching a dog pretend he does not want to run over to that fire hydrant.... Bob is putting his very best foot forward but nature will have its way.

ROFLMAO two more times. Welcome back Bob. And a little chuckle.

Brian

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2011, 05:41:03 PM »
The "Low Fuel" warning screen that flashes should have gone away. In fact, I do not believe you can have the flashing LCD and the red warning LED on at the same time- it is one or the other. You may still get a low fuel message if you are on the range screen but it should not be the large, flashing warning display. Also, when the warning display is on nothing else can be done with the display- no other pages changed or anything. Once that warning is cleared and the red LED is on you can again control the LCD, set the tripmeters, etc.

Brian

You know, I tried that the other day, red light came on, but "LOW FUEL" still kept going. I think it was a conspiracy.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Bourne2Ride

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2011, 06:20:58 PM »
After you reset the warning via the buttons on the dash the only thing that wont work is the "Range" feature. It will always display "Low Fuel". You can cycle through the other options without issue.
Save the Connie and Save the world!
- Heroes

Offline jjsC6

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2011, 07:33:05 PM »

I'm with Bob.  Why on God's green earth would you design a system that requires you to push and hold one button, then while still holding that button push another button all while riding a motorcycle?  What would be the possible downside to just pushing the one button that scrolls through the readouts?

Every manufacturer does goofy stuff, but I must say that Kawasaki seems especially prone to getting really obvious stuff wrong.
Jim
2010 Concours - Sold Feb 2013
Current bikes....
2011 Ninja 1000, 2013 BMW 1600 GT, 2012 Ducati Panigale

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2011, 08:26:00 PM »
The owners manual is quite handy for little tid bits of info like this...................just sayin.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2011, 08:31:26 PM »
I'm with Bob.  Why on God's green earth would you design a system that requires you to push and hold one button, then while still holding that button push another button all while riding a motorcycle?  What would be the possible downside to just pushing the one button that scrolls through the readouts?

I agree also.  Clearing it is far too difficult and should be something the rider can do from the handlebar button.  Leaving off the remaining range AT A TIME YOU NEED IT MOST is just icing on the cake.  My advice:  zero the A trip when you fill the tank.  Zero the B trip when you get the low fuel message (and clear the damn blinky)... so at least you will know how many miles it has been SINCE you went on virtual "reserve".
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Pynikal

• From power cruiser to power tourer.
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2011, 08:40:20 PM »
good to know as tis is kind of annoying to me.

Offline Viking

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2011, 05:24:38 AM »
The owners manual is quite handy for little tid bits of info like this...................just sayin.

What's an "owners manual"?   ;)

To be fair, I found this to be annoying also.
Doesn't make me want to sell my bike though.
Cheers

Offline Conrad

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2011, 05:51:16 AM »
I think that the owner's manual says to pull the bike over and clear the codes. CYA donchaknow?

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2011, 07:27:36 AM »
I think that the owner's manual says to pull the bike over and clear the codes. CYA donchaknow?

It probably says:  "Remove to the bike on the side.  Depress indicator to happiness whilst move remaining hand to indicator on different location.  Undepress simultaneously until feel of process is complete.  Clear of the code in display will resulting"

:)  LOL!  I just re-read what I wrote- it is golden!  I crack me up!!
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 07:58:54 AM by maxtog »
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Conrad

« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2011, 07:48:03 AM »
It probably says:  "Remove to the bike on the side.  Depress indicator to happiness whilst move remaining hand to indicator on different location.  Undepress simultaneously until feel of process is complete.  Clear of the code in display will result"

You cracked me up too! I really was laughing out loud.    ;D

That manual is some good reading.

Offline Viking

« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2011, 11:10:14 AM »
Max, you should take that show on the road.

I work for a Japanese machine tool company.
It's a real challenge trying to figure out the Jinglish some days.

Cheers

Bob

« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2011, 05:09:30 PM »
The really funny part is that in a lot of parts of the manual, this is pretty close to the truth!  ;D

It probably says:  "Remove to the bike on the side.  Depress indicator to happiness whilst move remaining hand to indicator on different location.  Undepress simultaneously until feel of process is complete.  Clear of the code in display will resulting"

Offline pb

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2011, 11:41:59 PM »
the same fellow that came up with the 2 button method to clear the message.
Must have  brother that  wrote the code and decided we did not know we are:

OUTSIDE....    this always tickles me. 

really? naaw....
fellow must have had to have something there and was filling silly.

I  would have never guessed. :-)   
hows about something useful there, like a heat index. 

Feels Like 102   or 112... :-)   

But yes I agree. I have thought this was silly from day one. The message alone is darned silly. The red light would be more than enough.

Maybe the fellow that re-flash's the ECU could do the display next.   :-)