Author Topic: 2011 Smoking when cold..........not outside temp, bike temp....  (Read 11974 times)

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
Re: 2011 Smoking when cold..........not outside temp, bike temp....
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2011, 06:54:27 AM »
It is condensation and perfectly normal. As the exhaust system cools, it draws water into it and that water condenses against the cooling metal. When the vehicle is started again, the head drives the water into steam and you see the vapor exiting the muffler.

Nothing to worry about. If you are really concerned, note the crankcase oil level and see if it is going down.

All internal combustion vehicles do this although it is more obvious in the winter when the water vapor cannot be easily absorbed by the atmosphere and leaves plumes behind.

Brian

+1

flying luggage or exploding drive shaft thread next please
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2011, 07:09:54 AM »
+1

flying luggage or exploding drive shaft thread next please

Steve, just because it hasn't happened to you doesn't mean it doesn't exist for another rider...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2011, 07:12:01 AM »
Steve, just because it hasn't happened to you doesn't mean it doesn't exist for another rider...

I can't disagree, just stirring the pot

and honestly I've been expecting something lately
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2011, 09:11:11 AM »
No way that is condensation...........did you also pull the air filter, and or take a look in the airbox?
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline Pynikal

• From power cruiser to power tourer.
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2011, 09:27:51 AM »
No way that is condensation...........did you also pull the air filter, and or take a look in the airbox?

nope, i guess i could do that tonight.  after i wipe all the rain off it when i get home.....its gonna be a wet ride home.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2011, 10:03:02 AM »

if it was oil you'd more than likely see it all the time. i should submit a vid of all my bikes on a nice humid FL day after they haven't been started for a while  :P

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2011, 10:03:52 AM »
ok, bookmarked this thread. Looking forward to seeing what this is (and may even check my panniers for looseness)

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2011, 10:42:32 AM »
if it was oil you'd more than likely see it all the time.

Not necessarily. Some BMWs long had a problem where if the bike was left on the sidestand for an extended period of time, oil would pool and then be sucked into the cylinder and burned on start up. I don't remember the years or models, but it was a known problem. BMW eventually fixed whatever needed fixing to prevent it. Sounds similar to this situation.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2011, 01:59:19 PM »
True but only the first generation K bikes, or 'bricks' from BMW had that problem and only then because the cylinders were horizontal and pointed 'down' when the bike was on the sidestand. It was a unique situation like the lower two cylinders on an aircraft radial engine and not the norm on virtually anything else.

It is possible that the original poster really has an internal engine problem but my experience says it is nothing but condensation. Of course he could have a cracked piston, cracked rings, missing valve guides and on and on but before I would even consider anything internal, I would check to see how much internal fluid is being used. My advice would be to NOT take anything apart 'inspecting' for this problem until there was some evidence that it was oil, or anti- freeze in the exhaust vapor.

Brian

Not necessarily. Some BMWs long had a problem where if the bike was left on the sidestand for an extended period of time, oil would pool and then be sucked into the cylinder and burned on start up. I don't remember the years or models, but it was a known problem. BMW eventually fixed whatever needed fixing to prevent it. Sounds similar to this situation.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Wild_Bill

« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2011, 02:41:05 PM »
try holding a piece of paper at the exhaust and let the exhuast gas condensate.
you should be able to tell what type of fluid is left on the paper.
anti-freeze smell's like maple syrup

Of course you could just use a garbage bag to collect the exhaust....

Bill
Formerly known as Badnews_Bill

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2011, 02:53:09 PM »
And then go to every single person you know, have them smell inside your bag, and guess what it smells like. Great idea Bill!

;D

Brian

<snip>

Of course you could just use a garbage bag to collect the exhaust....

Bill
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Pynikal

• From power cruiser to power tourer.
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2011, 04:36:25 PM »
well i left work today and nothing.....temp was about 65 degrees and humid.

i must have had the oil level just enough over full to cause this.......weird.
ill keep an eye on it to see it the problem is totally gone.  thanks for all your input guys!

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2011, 05:57:58 PM »

ill keep an eye on it to see it the problem is totally gone.  thanks for all your input guys!

Seems that one Brian was right, and one Brian was wrong!!!!!! ;)
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2011, 06:45:36 PM »

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2011, 06:48:56 PM »
I hope that works out for you but I really did suspect nothing major was wrong. The oil level would have to be tremendously high to cause enough oil in the exhaust and even then that probably would not happen.

Usually there are quite a few symptoms and more than a couple of problems before oil consumption becomes apparent in the color of the exhaust.

Brian