Author Topic: Mountain City Tenn  (Read 4541 times)

Offline ddavid

Mountain City Tenn
« on: July 30, 2011, 08:06:39 AM »
Going on a trip to Mountain City for 4 days. Blue ridge is close. Riding in Cherokee Natl forest also. Anyone know of other good roads we should look for?

Offline gpzrocker

Re: Mountain City Tenn
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2011, 01:29:14 PM »
Honestly? Pick a road.  http://shadyvalleycountrystore.com/ is nice.

My way to the Blue Ridge would be down 421, through Boone to 221 around Blowing Rock, a right after the outlet stores. Follow 221 to 105, there is a left right after Grandfather Mt. Left on 181. 181 is a local favorite, but the good stuff is after the BRP exit.

Look at www.diamondbacknc.com for going across to 226A. Also the NC 80 route there is very tasty: I would recommend going up 80 for more entertainment. I can go as quick up or down 226A, but NC80 down is hard on me.

The BRP between of Asheville and Boone is my favorite parts.

But seriously, when you google Mountain City TN just look at the eye candy that you have all around. All roads are fun, but you can get Tshirts/stickers and even pictures from www.blindkenny.com on 226A and 80. Too bad the store on 181 closed or you could get "rattler" stickers too.

Just because some people like that!

Fill up often and carry alot of water. Its gonna be hot.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2011, 08:36:16 PM »
Honestly? Pick a road.  http://shadyvalleycountrystore.com/ is nice.

My way to the Blue Ridge would be down 421, through Boone to 221 around Blowing Rock, a right after the outlet stores. Follow 221 to 105, there is a left right after Grandfather Mt. Left on 181. 181 is a local favorite, but the good stuff is after the BRP exit.
Look at www.diamondbacknc.com for going across to 226A. Also the NC 80 route there is very tasty: I would recommend going up 80 for more entertainment. I can go as quick up or down 226A, but NC80 down is hard on me.

The BRP between of Asheville and Boone is my favorite parts.

But seriously, when you google Mountain City TN just look at the eye candy that you have all around. All roads are fun, but you can get Tshirts/stickers and even pictures from www.blindkenny.com on 226A and 80. Too bad the store on 181 closed or you could get "rattler" stickers too.

Just because some people like that!

Fill up often and carry alot of water. Its gonna be hot.

+1, but the BRP on a Saturday or Sunday will be the slowest most boring ride of your life behind the elderly and tourist cagers.
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline gpzrocker

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 03:56:55 AM »
Not so bad lately: the tourists are not coming around with the gas prices up, and the locals (even elderly) know to move over, usually. Shoot Steve, any road is a crap shoot, I saw my first RV this year when I came hellbentforleather up 226 a couple of weeks ago.....

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2011, 04:52:19 PM »
Not so bad lately: the tourists are not coming around with the gas prices up, and the locals (even elderly) know to move over, usually. Shoot Steve, any road is a crap shoot, I saw my first RV this year when I came hellbentforleather up 226 a couple of weeks ago.....

Yes sir, I agree!
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline ddavid

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2011, 07:59:57 AM »
Thanks for the tips guys!

Offline gpzrocker

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2011, 03:32:40 PM »
LMK when you are around, maybe I can show you a road or two.

Offline justbob

• crashin' sucks
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2011, 04:25:17 PM »
Hwy 58 from Damascus to Volney
Hwy 16 from Marion Va to Tazewell
2010 C-14
2012 Yamaha Super Tenere

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2011, 06:25:36 AM »
Hwy 58 from Damascus to Volney
Hwy 16 from Marion Va to Tazewell

+1!

Offline cheapbastard

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2011, 06:27:43 AM »
all great suggestions, listen to wiseman Louie, he knows some good stuff!  :chugbeer:

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2011, 06:49:39 AM »
If you visit marion say hi to my friend Heather. She's friendly (like most folks in that little town). We ride not only the Tazwell Road 16 but most all the roads mentioned in this thread including 421 Snake mentioned.  You can't miss her in that little town, she rocks a HONDA.

And on a side note, she's the only lady thats ever taken my C14 out solo (instead of riding pillion).

Here is the type fun to be had on the road mentioned outside of Boone, NC.