Author Topic: Tire Pressure sensor replacement?  (Read 19735 times)

Offline Snakepilot

Tire Pressure sensor replacement?
« on: August 20, 2012, 10:14:07 AM »
I left my bike (08) at the dealer this morning to have the front tire pressure sensor battery replaced. The service writer called back and said that the battery could not be replaced by itself, that the entire sensor had to be replaced and that there were 3 different parts and that they would have to break the tire down and get the sensor to see which one they needed. After that they could order the proper part. I think he is being straight with me, because he agrees with me that this is a bunch of bull****.   I checked the service manual (thanks to this site for posting the pdf so I could check) The manual escentially agrees with the dealer (page 10-15).

I have been reading that the battery IS replaceable on this sensor. So, my question is which is correct.  The service writer told me that even if we could find the battery number, he, as a dealer could not install it for me. I actually  don't think this young man is trying to jerk me around. I just hope that the tech reps at Kawasaki are telling him to do a quick but more expensive fix.

Thoughts? :P

Offline Conrad

Re: Tire Pressure sensor replacement?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 10:34:09 AM »
The sensors are not designed to have the batteries replaced. That's not to say that the sensors can't be opened up to replace the batteries, they can be. No dealer is going to do it that way though. They'll want to replace the entire sensor, the way Kawi designed it.

As for there being three different parts? I'm pretty sure that the last part number has superceded the others. No one seems to know what the differences are between the three though.

If your bike is still under warranty, this will be covered by Kawi.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Snakepilot

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 12:23:44 PM »
thanks, Conrad. I'll replace the sensor and keep from spending $3 for every $1 I save.

Offline jayke

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 12:33:19 PM »
Have the dealer save the bag the sensor comes in.  It has a serial number on it.  You can't just replace the sensor, you need to register the new sensor with the bike's ECU using the serial number on the bag.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2012, 12:51:12 PM »
That same number needed to code the bike is also printed on the outside of the sensor itself so one does not need the bag it came in (gee, that sounds bad) er, I mean the original bag that contained the sensor. The number is also on the circuit board inside the sensor so that even if an old, dirty sensor is used, the cover can be taken off and the good parts looked at (hmmm, sounded bad again) I mean you can read the other number from underneath the cover.

Brian

Have the dealer save the bag the sensor comes in.  It has a serial number on it.  You can't just replace the sensor, you need to register the new sensor with the bike's ECU using the serial number on the bag.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline jayke

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2012, 02:06:56 PM »
Thanks for the clarification...I was half right  :)

Offline jjsC6

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2012, 02:10:32 PM »
That same number needed to code the bike is also printed on the outside of the sensor itself so one does not need the bag it came in (gee, that sounds bad) er, I mean the original bag that contained the sensor. The number is also on the circuit board inside the sensor so that even if an old, dirty sensor is used, the cover can be taken off and the good parts looked at (hmmm, sounded bad again) I mean you can read the other number from underneath the cover.

Brian

I think we should start a new feature on the forum titled "Monday's advice column from Brian".   You're going to have a hard time topping this one, but I think you are the right person for the job.
Jim
2010 Concours - Sold Feb 2013
Current bikes....
2011 Ninja 1000, 2013 BMW 1600 GT, 2012 Ducati Panigale

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2012, 02:52:02 PM »
As do most of us here.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2012, 02:56:31 PM »
Pull the darn things out.....I am! >:(
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2012, 02:59:35 PM »
You're incorigable incorriggible incorigable, just irate.  I love my sensors.  ;D
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2012, 03:35:21 PM »
You're incorigable incorriggible incorigable, just irate.  I love my sensors.  ;D

+1
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline dammit

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2012, 04:23:03 PM »
Hopefully they can  get the parts in short order.
I just got my 09 back on Saturday after a three week wait for parts....

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2012, 04:43:41 PM »
Are they being replaced under warranty?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2012, 04:44:25 PM »
They have been in the past.

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2012, 04:54:56 PM »
This deals with TPMS and the warranty run around.

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=8112.msg98077#msg98077

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2012, 05:45:58 PM »

Yeah when they work, lets see how much you like them when they dick up out of warranty. ;)
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline RBX QB

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2012, 06:36:20 PM »
Pull the darn things out.....I am! >:(

How do you intend to eliminate the sensors? I imagine it wouldn't be too difficult to get stems back in there, but I'm wondering if you can fool the ECU to think the sensors are fine.
2011 Concours 14 ABS
2̶0̶0̶6̶ ̶D̶u̶c̶a̶t̶i̶ ̶M̶o̶n̶s̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶S̶2̶R̶D̶  SOLD

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2012, 07:28:59 PM »

Yeah when they work, lets see how much you like them when they dick up out of warranty. ;)

What are yours doing that is bad?  Perhaps I missed another post somewhere...
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2012, 07:57:41 PM »
Mark at Kawasaki customer "care" will handle it for you
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2012, 08:06:54 PM »
Wow, easy there Brian or we're going to have to start calling you Cap'n Pokey.

;D

Brian

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com