Author Topic: Ducati Diavel Strada  (Read 11831 times)

Offline Smokeyzx

Ducati Diavel Strada
« on: August 05, 2013, 01:31:20 PM »
I am really loving this bike. It's a Diavel set up for touring. It has a decent windshield, taller bars, more comfortable seat, and heated grips. The bike is beautiful and goes 0-60 in 2.6 seconds stock! I still haven't ridden one yet but that will happen this week.

There isn't much for after market parts but the little that they offer is hugely expensive. Like the after market pipe, PCV, air filter and install will run $4k. There's a bracket for top case that you can throw on for longer trips.

What do you guys think of this bike? Do you know anybody that has a Diavel? Have you ridden one?
Colorado
2013 Blue

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
Re: Ducati Diavel Strada
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2013, 02:44:52 PM »
Very interesting looking bike. I'll stick around for the ride report.  :popcorn:

Offline Smokeyzx

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2013, 03:01:42 PM »
I did sit on it. It's way different than the Concours. The seat is about three inches lower. The bars are how I want the Concours to be. The Strada is 100 lbs lighter but feels 300 lbs lighter. You can stand up and flip the thing back and forth between your legs with no hands. I wouldn't even consider that on the Concours.
Colorado
2013 Blue

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2013, 06:40:45 PM »
I prefer the Multistrada or the Hypermotard's riding position better.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline Smokeyzx

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2013, 02:54:48 PM »
I rode the Diavel Strada today...

Size
It looked like a huge bike in the showroom but I didn't get out of the parking lot before wondering what the heck happened to that big bike. I felt like a monkey effing a football. The salesman didn't think so but then he's a salesman. I made him take some pics. What do you guys think? By the way, my stomach is not as big as it looks in the third picture. Just saying. I'm 6'-3", 245 lbs with a 35" inseam. Maybe it felt that way because my setup on the Concours gives me tons of room. Bottom line is that I think I could do 500 mile days no sweat but 1,000 or more might be a problem. Since I've only ridden 1,200 miles in a day once since I've had the Concours, I'm not considering that a problem. It’s much lower to the ground than mine. I liked that. It’s also considered a cruiser.

Power
That thing is FAST. It is definitely quicker than my bike for sure. Ducati claims that it's faster 0-60 than any production bike made. I believe them. I only rolled on it because I was too intimidated to crack it. Like the front wheel might touch the sky if I did it in a lower gear. Salesman guy said it was the second easiest bike Ducati makes to wheelie. I rode in touring mode through half the test ride and sport mode on the way back. Touring mode gives you all the power but it is not as abrupt. It seemed smoother but still fast. I think it adds more traction control but I didn't check that out. Sport mode was fun. It was more punchy and is where I felt I could launch the front end at will. The salesman said it decreases the traction control enough to slide the rear wheel in a turn but it will not let you lose it. He also said it was a very smooth transition when it kicks in. Maybe my skill level is not top notch but I felt like this bike is fast enough to bite me if I wasn't careful. I kind of like that. lol Now you can go into each mode and increase or decrease the TC settings 1-9 and save it as a rider preference. So that's kind of cool. There's also an Urban mode that decreases the hp to 100 at the crank and maxes out TC and ABS. No, this mode will not give you better gas mileage. It's kind of a nice mode to have around. The sound of the engine was pretty good but would be awesome with a full pipe.

Suspension and handling
Top notch without a doubt. Way better than my bike. It took bumps really well. By far the best suspension on a bike that I have ever ridden. Those were stock settings from the factory, so it could be better with a professional set up. The handling is better than my ability. It feels like it weighs 200 lbs lighter than my bike. Extremely easy to maneuver. I was dodging pot hole patches that were really close together just because I could. The brakes were outstanding, second to none.

Touring
The windshield was fine, I only had it up to 75. They make bigger shields if needed. It comes with heated grips. The bags are small and not water proof (they give you dry bags for the inside). WTH? There will be aftermarket options soon, I’m not worried. The bike has only been out for like three months. There is a bracket you can buy for a top trunk to throw on for trips. I would not ride with that on daily like I do my bike.

Overall
It does everything better than my bike except for luggage and comfort. It’s miles ahead in technology, looks, performance, fit and finish. It also costs more but I think that is offset because it holds its value better.

Unless most people think I look like a monkey effing a football, I will buy one as soon as I sell mine.

I also rode the Multistrada today but it sits up too high for me.
Colorado
2013 Blue

Offline Conrad

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2013, 03:25:30 PM »
I think that the bike looks good on you.    :)

Ok, ok. You look good ok on the bike too. Not as good as I would but who could?   ;)

What's that monkey doing under your shirt anyways?
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 04:00:48 PM by Conrad »
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2013, 04:32:50 PM »
That bike does look kind of small. Post a pic of you on your Connie next to the first picture you posted. That would be a good comparison.

Good write-up, makes me want to go test ride that bike.

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2013, 04:52:41 PM »
Your 6'3" and the Multistrada was too tall for you?  I'm confused.  It fit me very well and I am 5'11"  The diavel looks small for you IMO.  I am hoping to rent a Multistrada for my CA, OR, WA ride sometime in the future.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2013, 04:59:22 PM »
Unless most people think I look like a monkey effing a football, I will buy one as soon as I sell mine.

Really? This is going to be your deciding factor or are you just kidding?

Offline Smokeyzx

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2013, 05:03:54 PM »
Pretty much. If everybody said it looked too small I would pass. I'm a big guy and there are cars and motorcycles I don't fit in or on. The concours is one of the biggest bikes I've been on.
Colorado
2013 Blue

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2013, 06:56:49 PM »
Good thing you set your beer, smokes, and billfold down before you posed for those pictures.  :rotflmao:

Who cares what anybody else thinks, if you like the bike buy it. I think you should buy it just for the fact that you can go stop light to stop light in <3 seconds.  :thumbs:

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2013, 07:50:49 PM »
Good thing you set your beer, smokes, and billfold down before you posed for those pictures.  :rotflmao:

I noticed that too. ;D   :chugbeer:

Offline Gsun

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2013, 09:56:55 PM »
How much?

Offline Smokeyzx

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2013, 06:15:34 AM »
2014 Ducati Diavel Strada MSRP $19,495
I got them down to $18,000 trade or cash without trying. I would expect a better deal at time of sale.

The beer, smokes, and purse are not mine.
Colorado
2013 Blue

Offline Smokeyzx

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2013, 06:20:18 AM »
Your 6'3" and the Multistrada was too tall for you?  I'm confused.  It fit me very well and I am 5'11"  The diavel looks small for you IMO.  I am hoping to rent a Multistrada for my CA, OR, WA ride sometime in the future.

It wasn't what I expected. The pegs are up higher (for the extra ground clearance?) so I felt like my legs were bent more than on the Diavel. The Multistrada is a great bike it's just totally different and not for me.
Colorado
2013 Blue

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2013, 10:11:11 AM »
Now go ride a Vmax....  ;D
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline Smokeyzx

« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2013, 11:05:11 AM »
Now go ride a Vmax....  ;D

I looked at the Vmax but it's not set up for touring in the slightest way and it doesn't have traction control...
Colorado
2013 Blue

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2013, 11:13:35 AM »
It can be had w/ a touring shield and hard bags, if desired. 

I don't think the fuel range of the VMAX would make it ideal for touring... I think the Duc's ~150 mile range would also be on the low side too (give or take depending on your wrist restraint).  :)
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2013, 11:19:03 AM »
What is a Ducati's maintainence cost and schedule compared to a Concours? Is this something to think about?
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline Smokeyzx

« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2013, 12:14:19 PM »
What is a Ducati's maintainence cost and schedule compared to a Concours? Is this something to think about?

It worried me. The salesman and I went right down the list of scheduled maintenance and priced it all out. It was all on par with the Concours.
Colorado
2013 Blue