Author Topic: Mid -size sport-tourer ?  (Read 12468 times)

Offline kdm

• Arena
  • Lakeland , Florida
Mid -size sport-tourer ?
« on: January 03, 2012, 05:59:19 PM »
Just throwing this out there--lots of experienc on this forum!

Got my son a Ninja 650r for a first bike ,and its a nice little ride.  Thing is , it is kind of small ,and while it has pretty good wind protection ,all day comfort it don't .  Caught him sitting on my C14 a couple times ,making vroom vroom noises (just kidding-he's not THAT much like his dad ) and think he may be thinking of trading up.

Heres my question- what would make a good mid-sized sport touring bike -you know ,full fairing , smooth ,good power,a liitle more weight and mass than the Ninja to soak up the bumps, provide a little better ride ?

Just thinkin...
2001 C10  - sold
2008 C14

Offline George R. Young

• Concours 2001 Farkles
Re: Mid -size sport-tourer ?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 06:13:18 PM »
Honda Silverwing 500 or 650 (older), Honda Deauville 700 (expensive), SV650 except it has no shaft drive or stock bags.
65 CB160 (67-69), 69 350GTR (69-72), 72 R5, 73 RD350 (73-84), 82 XZ550 Vision (84-03), 01 Concours C10 (03-19), 89 EX250 (11-14), 00 SV650S (14-16), 03 SV650S (19-)

Son of Pappy

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2012, 06:16:02 PM »
Honestly? A Honda ST1300.  I can't believe I just said that.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012, 06:18:18 PM »
A VFR would be a great next step up for him. That's what I used for sport touring right before I got my Connie, a great bike for single one up sport touring, not so much IMO for 2up sport touring though... A little too soft in the suspension for having bags loaded up with stuff and mama on the back.

Offline BlkBird

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, 06:39:40 PM »
A VFR would be a great next step up for him. That's what I used for sport touring right before I got my Connie, a great bike for single one up sport touring, not so much IMO for 2up sport touring though... A little too soft in the suspension for having bags loaded up with stuff and mama on the back.

+1.... get one with bags and it will fit the bill nicely.  Also the Triumph sprint ST is a very nice sporty ride that comes with bags.. the only thing is I don't know about it's long range comfort. 

Offline rcannon409

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2012, 09:11:42 PM »
I agree with the vfr.  I have an sv 650 and it is an incredible bike.  But its no sport tourer unless touring is 50 miles, or less.  Now, people have gone across the usa, and back, on them, but its doign it the hard way. 

Offline kdm

• Arena
  • Lakeland , Florida
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2012, 04:36:29 PM »
Yeah , I really kind of like the ST1300 ,rode one for a few days-that would have been my second choice if I hadn't found the C14 ! Might be a little heavy for him,though at 700+ pounds . He's 5'10 ,160. It does have that cool adjustable seat.

Forgot all about the VFR! That might be the one. I like the way you set yours up.Is that a Givi screen? How does it
do on the highway as far as wind buffeting ? And what would you look for in a used one ? Any known problems to watch out for??
2001 C10  - sold
2008 C14

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2012, 05:52:33 PM »
Forgot all about the VFR! That might be the one. I like the way you set yours up.Is that a Givi screen? How does it
do on the highway as far as wind buffeting ? And what would you look for in a used one ? Any known problems to watch out for??

Well I don't have the VFR anymore, sold it when I bought my Connie. The shield if I remember right was from Puig, I'm not 100% sure though, it's been a couple years, maybe it was Givi now that I try to find that brain cell...  :-\

The 02+ VFR800's are pretty solid and reliable bikes, mine was an 06 that I bought with 600 miles on it, had it for a couple years and never had any mechanical problems. I think there was some small mechanical change/improvement Honda did in 04 but I don't remember now. You should check out http://vfrworld.com/forums/content.php there's ton of great info and folks on there, I was active on it while I had mine.

Happy hunting, I think he'd like it and I see nice clean examples go for $5k often.

Offline Gsun

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2012, 06:26:38 PM »
+1.... get one with bags and it will fit the bill nicely.  Also the Triumph sprint ST is a very nice sporty ride that comes with bags.. the only thing is I don't know about it's long range comfort.

My buddy has a Sprint and goes everywhere. He did 18K kilometers last summer two up. He is English though.....
About 200 lbs. less than the Connie.

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2012, 09:42:39 AM »
It seems to me that when you define "mid-size sport tourer" clearly in your mind, you should be able to pick out a bike pretty easily, or will decide that you have to build/farkle one of your own.

Is mid-size a displacement, weight, length, horsepower or other spec?  What combination means mid-sized to you?

What is a full fairing?  Is it defined by the amount and cost of plastic or by the amount and placement of wind protection?

What is smooth?  What is power?

How much are you willing to spend?  How old or new is acceptable?

Are you looking for a "class" of bike, or to you have a purpose or plan in mind of what you want to accomplish and are looking for a bike that fits?

An last but not least, is your son looking for a new bike, or are you trying to fit him into what you want for him? 

It just sounds to me that "something different" is what you want.  In my mind, the Ninja 650 is a mid-size ST.  Add some hard or soft luggage, or both.  Windshield, seat and bars to suit, and off you go.  Same with SV650/S.  If a 650 is a "small, beginner bike" to you, and a C14 is full-size, then I guess the C10 is a mid-size ST.

Without knowing any more of the facts, my guess is that a few adjustments to the Ninja (seat, bars, windshield, and better tires), and some more rider training would be worth considering as an alternative to swapping bikes.
Eyes, Brain, Hands.  Repeat.

Offline roger dodger

• Keep it between the ditches
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2012, 10:17:49 AM »
If you don't need to be shopping for NEW bikes, than most of the UJM bikes work well for kids going farther and faster than 'starter' bikes.

Maybe the older Bandit 1200, KZ1000, or CB1000 type of go anywhere, do anything (not dirt) bikes for cheap.  JMHO
'03 FJR
'02 C10 (mia)
'81 KZ1000

Offline booger

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2012, 06:39:45 PM »
I thought my C-14 was a good, mid size tourer

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2012, 07:05:32 PM »
How old is your son?
A VFR sounds like a good answer to me. Plus he (being younger) will like the sportiness...

Ride safe, Ted

Offline DonB

• Let's Ride
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2012, 09:08:18 PM »
Honda makes a 700 something that has bags. seems that would be worth looking into
2012 Candy Arabian Red C14 but it's not Red to me
2012 Blue ABS Wing
2011 White Vstrom                               = o&o>

Offline Shadowofshoe

• Arena
  • Mastiff pup/human pup
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2012, 07:10:58 PM »

I worry about the lightning fast transition into high HP/torque bike that are now commonplace today...not knocking but are you "really" comfortable with his skill-set as it is now. I know I would have had issues had I not gone thru the transitions from enduro to  1st power bike -with many in ....between.
  Many of the suggested are movers.

Mike
  A RT beemer may be a great teacher for a big bike though.
Sooooo....we are about to be a Nation that makes you prove you have insurance-but it's not necessary to prove that you are indeed a Citizen of that Nation?

Offline kdm

• Arena
  • Lakeland , Florida
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2012, 06:29:35 PM »
Mike-

Never ridden the previous generation RT -interesting idea . Current gen would be way too costly .

What years would recommend ?  Also , any reliabilty issues to look for ? Also ,how do they carry their weight ? Do they have a lower center of gravity due to the boxer design ?
 Thanks for the tip.

Keith
2001 C10  - sold
2008 C14

Offline CB Schmaltz

• FLY RIDE SKI SAIL
    • www.BuyNWProperty.com
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2012, 07:17:23 PM »
heres an idea
drop the foot pegs
get the tallest windshield  you can find add one of those foils or what ever they are called
1 inch up and 1 inch back bar risers, maybe new bars
get a set of nelson rigs bags
add 1/2 inch of foam to the seat
add 1 tooth on the front
$500 bucks  or less , shop ebay and craigs list, and there ya go
and then you can all ways go back
was it cycle worls that took a big  ninja and made it a sport tour bike
I cannt remember I'm getting too old
good luck
CB Schmaltz, Hood River, Or
503 806 1525
Connie 14, &  KLR best 2 bikes in the world.
Others in the stalls, VROD, WR250r,  Shadow Spirt, Versys 650, CRF250l, Vsrtom , 75 Z1B

Offline MiloMorai

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2012, 09:13:13 PM »
I've had my rf900 for 10 years now and it was my main source of transportation for awhile.  It  is a mid sized sport tourer.  While I don't often ride with a passenger when I did on the rf they found it comfortable(after I switched to the Corbin seat :)).  Didn't come with and bags but I got some softbags that work well enough for the weekend to week long trips I took.  Got a taller screen and was all set.

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2012, 09:53:15 PM »
The RF9 is an underappreciated gem.  I'm in the process of reworking the stock seat, but the Corbin is alternate plan B if my mods don't work out.  Have you found any even semi-active forums for the RF?
Eyes, Brain, Hands.  Repeat.

Offline MiloMorai

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2012, 08:45:35 AM »
The RF9 is an underappreciated gem.  I'm in the process of reworking the stock seat, but the Corbin is alternate plan B if my mods don't work out.  Have you found any even semi-active forums for the RF?

The only group I've found was a Yahoo group.  And it's not too active but has a wealth of info.