Author Topic: Is this just my battery?  (Read 959 times)

Offline wtaylorc14

Is this just my battery?
« on: April 25, 2020, 01:52:13 PM »
Hi all-
Hope all of you are hanging in there right now.  I needed to get some clarification from some of you if I could.  I had to leave my bike with a friend on the Gulf and fly to near Salt Lake in early Feb because my wife is dealing with some serious health issues.  Was gonna fly back and get the bike when possible and my buddy has been cranking it regularly for me in the meantime.

He sent me this video a few days ago... bike stopped cranking.  The batter is new and was put in just before Christmas.  Posted the video he sent.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7tj6w7

Is that simply the battery?  I ask, because in the past, it was never this noisy when it was the battery... at least not how I recall.  Now, his garage has a VERY low ceiling... like 6 ft, so that may be why it's this noisy.  Needed to ask some of you. 

I'd have him check, but he is really not familiar with anything on this bike and just not something I can get him to do, unfortunately.  If I know it's just the battery, then I don't mind flying in when I can and riding it back here.  Just don't wanna fly back and it be more than that and stuck with other issues.

Thanks in advance!
WT
« Last Edit: April 25, 2020, 03:16:51 PM by wtaylorc14 »
2008 ABS C14

Offline MtnRider

Re: Is this just my battery?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2020, 01:57:49 PM »
WT, the link doesn't work. Vimeo site says page not found.

1st question is; has the battery been on a tender? 2nd; how long was it run each time he started it?

Offline wtaylorc14

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2020, 03:18:01 PM »
Sorry, fixed it.  It's not on a tender.  He says he's been cranking it 2-3 times a week and letting it idle a few minutes at least.
2008 ABS C14

Offline zrx mitch

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2020, 05:31:42 PM »
Sounds more like a loose connection. Where on the Gulf coast?
IBA #18591

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2020, 08:46:57 PM »
He should have changed the display to the voltage reading and told us what is says after he tried to start it.  That will tell us pretty quickly if the battery is too low.  So yes, it could be the battery is weak and needs charging.  Could also be a poor battery or ground connection.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2020, 05:51:41 AM »
Idle rpms are not conducive to sufficient charging voltage.

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2020, 06:23:16 AM »
Flat battery.
Starter solenoid is oscillating which is what that buzzing is.
Battery needs to be charged, and possibly even replaced.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2020, 07:50:28 AM »
What Mr. Pink and Boomer said..
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2020, 09:46:08 AM »
Idle rpms are not conducive to sufficient charging voltage.

And certainly not if it just for a few minutes.  I only drive my car to work when it is rainy (otherwise I bicycle).  So my car will sit for several days unused, then maybe driven to work or the store a few times.  Both trips are very short.  It never can recover from being started and eventually the battery will die if I don't either take a 30 min trip, or put a charger on the battery.

The bike at idle pulls considerable power- the fuel injection, the ignition, the ECUs, dash/tail lights, and the headlights.  I am not sure the alternator, in such a case, is at a net negative, but I would guess it is probably not much above what is being used.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2020, 10:01:39 AM »
What Mr. Pink and Boomer said..    I have had that same sound happen to me a few times.. its the battery
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline wtaylorc14

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2020, 06:46:07 PM »
Thanks everybody- I had hoped that was all it was.  I would try to walk my buddy though more but I know he can't.  At best, I could get him to toggle through the menu to pull up the voltage.  Best scenario is to fly in when possible in a few weeks and just check the battery connections, jump it off and try to charge it back up.  If not, replace and ride back here.  We were hesitant to just fly back in case it was more and the bike was gonna need to go to the shop.  I appreciate it and hope everyone stays well, and sane, right now!
2008 ABS C14