Author Topic: Rounders  (Read 5185 times)

Offline Two Skies

• Arena
  • Road? What road?!?
Re: Rounders
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2011, 12:34:52 PM »
Up until January of this year, I was most certainly a year rounder, and have ridden in single digit (F) temps.  I had multiple layers on, of course.

When I hit that patch of black ice under a freeway overpass and lost it, however, that changed my attitude.  Since then, freezing has been my threshold, as you never know when a little water dripping from the bridge above will turn into a bad day.

Live and learn, IF you live of course.
2006 w/50,000+ miles and a few bruises.

MCL Fork Brace & Handlebar Risers.  Bergmen Quick Release Tank Kit, Pilot GT Front/Avon Venom Rear tire.  Trunk w/spoiler.  NGK DR8EIX plugs.  Piece of foam in airbox.  Beads on seat.  Bafflectomized.  Murphs Kneesavers & Fuse Block.  Cee Bailey Winscreen w/vent.  Heated grips.  'Custom' mirrors.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2011, 10:03:27 AM »
As long as it's dry I'll ride, last winter many days going into work in the teens and 20's, heated seat and grips are a God send!

I'm not a big fan of riding in the rain though, even in the summer months...

Offline Ron Dawg

• Arena
  • a/k/a ron203
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2011, 10:40:10 AM »
35 degrees and falling, the bike stays home. Around here, bridges will freeze well before the road and a little frozen dew will ruin your day. 95 and above, timing is the key. I'll ride to work in the cool and work late to miss stop & go traffic so I don't sit and saute myself in traffic. Much easier in Ga. I  don't see how you guys stand it where it snows a lot. I used to live in PA and OH. Nice places for three seasons.
2014 C-14 Red

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2011, 11:53:02 AM »
Year rounder. I tough out these extreme Flowriduh winters. ;)
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline mjrfd99

• Arena
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2011, 07:05:25 AM »
35 degrees and falling, the bike stays home. Around here, bridges will freeze well before the road and a little frozen dew will ruin your day. 95 and above, timing is the key. I'll ride to work in the cool and work late to miss stop & go traffic so I don't sit and saute myself in traffic. Much easier in Ga. I  don't see how you guys stand it where it snows a lot. I used to live in PA and OH. Nice places for three seasons.
Black ice put me down HARD 20 yrs ago. Heat no problem, potiental ice big problem so I park the bike at 36 deg

Offline Conrad

« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2011, 07:45:33 AM »
I'll ride in temps as low as the upper teens but like everyone else once the roads turn slipperdy I'm done. I normally winterize and put Connie away around the middle of December and get her back out in early March. If the weather takes a nice turn sometime in between I'll get her back out for a bit. 
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2011, 10:11:39 AM »
Under 40F and over 85F or so and the Concours is parked. Cleveland Ohio here, usually around December 1st to April 1st, usually. Over 85F and I ride the KZ. If there is salt on the road, it has to rain HARD two or three times before the bike is even wheeled out of the garage.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline sq61708

• Arena
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2011, 12:49:18 PM »
I live north of Montreal in Quebec.
I used to ride whenever there was no ice but for the last two years I had to put my Connie in storage from december 15th to march 15th because of our provincial government very bright idea to outlaw riding without real winter tires during that period   >:(
Since there is no motorcycle tire rated as winter we are screwed.  Same thing for a car, 4 seasons tires will not do, they must be real winter tires.

I learned this summer that there is a loophole in the law that allows you to have a special permission valid for 7 days from the motor wehicule department to drive without winter tires for the sole purpose of leaving the province.
This permission was aimed at the snowbirds leaving for Florida but it is not closed to motorcycles.  I will probably try it this year. ;D

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2011, 02:05:42 PM »
I'm not a true 'rounder' anymore.  I used to be though.  To many time of riding to work only to find sleet and ice for the return trip.  When the salt goes down the bikes get put away.  I do try and get the bikes out at least once a month in the winter; so I guess you could say that I am a 'rounder/poser' :o
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."