Author Topic: My least favorite part of my C-14 has now let me down, KIPASS failure  (Read 31155 times)

Offline ZG

• Arena
Re: My least favorite part of my C-14 has now let me down
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2012, 09:31:14 PM »
I was going to say the same thing.  WD-40 should not be used in locks and intricate mechanical works.  It tends to gum up things and attract dirt.  It is great for unfreezing simple mechanical, like rusted hinges.  It is also good for removing sticky stuff, followed by something like alcohol to get rid of the WD-40.

I have always been told that graphite is the only proper stuff to use in locks.

:goodpost:

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2012, 07:56:54 AM »
I find that Dupont spray teflon lube (it dries) works great in locks and it doesn't attract dirt.

I'm not opposed to the concept of a keyless start, but my problem is I have to access the side cases (or the fuel tank) almost ever single ride, so I'm STILL fumbling with a key.  There is just no advantage on this bike, for me.  If I could leave the cases in an unlocked state, it would be a different story.  And I'm not sure I like the idea of leaving modified spare keys in the cases to accomplish that end.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2012, 08:07:55 AM »
Sorry you are having a problem.  I don't think they fixed the spring issue until the updated 2010 model year.

Keyless is *wonderful* on my car.  I have one fob, I keep it in a fanny pack or briefcase and never even think about it.  I love it.  I don't have to mess with ANY keys, EVER.  And the ignition is a push button switch.  I can open doors, trunk, even the gas filler, AND start the car, without ever touching the fob.

But on the C-14, it really does nothing for me at all.  Since it does not unlock the gas tank, and does not unlock my bags, I still have to carry a key, or mess with the silly stovekey.  And there isn't an ignition button, it is still a key switch, so I have to fiddle with something to get the bike ready to start.  And it doesn't lock or unlock the steering automatically, so you have to press, then wait, then press (but not too soon) and try to turn, etc.   It has almost all the disadvantages of a mechanical system (difficult to use, mechanical failure, multiple keyholes, manual switching, etc), all of the disadvantages of an electronic system (complex, expensive, batteries, etc).

Keyless on a bike is a good concept, if done correctly.  KISPASS is neither. Let the flaming begin!

Ok...

You really wear a fanny pack?    :o
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2012, 08:31:15 AM »
Ok...

You really wear a fanny pack?    :o

LOL!  I was waiting for someone to comment.  Unfortunately, many times, yes.  I have to carry around medications (like pills and asthma rescue inhaler), big phone, wallet, knife, and junk and it is just too much effort to keep transferring all the stuff from one place to another, over and over.   My need for laziness wins over my need for being a "manly man".   At least it is black leather ;)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2012, 08:45:59 AM »
There are a couple different ways to go with the fanny pack.  You could try the satchel or the European carry all.  Either way they are still purses.   ;D

Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2012, 08:47:32 AM »
LOL!  I was waiting for someone to comment.  Unfortunately, many times, yes.  I have to carry around medications (like pills and asthma rescue inhaler), big phone, wallet, knife, and junk and it is just too much effort to keep transferring all the stuff from one place to another, over and over.   My need for laziness wins over my need for being a "manly man".   At least it is black leather ;)

Sorry Max, there's only one guy who can get away with wearing a fannypack and still look manly. (and if he doesn't ain't no one gonna tell him different)

Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2012, 08:55:07 AM »
I just don't get the mentality that admitting you need to carry more than will comfortably fit in pockets is unmasculine.  I guess I am just not that insecure about my manliness :)   Besides, the bonus is that the pack fits perfectly in my Sargent seat "pod", no keys required!
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2012, 09:01:45 AM »
I just don't get the mentality that admitting you need to carry more than will comfortably fit in pockets is unmasculine.  I guess I am just not that insecure about my manliness :)   Besides, the bonus is that the pack fits perfectly in my Sargent seat "pod", no keys required!

Just razzin' ya.  My buddy carries his 1911 and three of four extra mags in a fanny pack.........I don't make fun of him.  But I have asked him for a Tic Tac or Mentos a time or two.   ;D

Son of Pappy

« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2012, 09:11:39 AM »
Just to share my only KIPASS related issue.  Back in approx. Aug of '08 I had a brief stoppage.  I had some serious PTKSD (Post Traumatic KIPASS Stress Disorder).  I had read a post by some guy named Bob.  I had a flash back moment, started a rapid tap on the stove knob and things went back to normal.  I use the knob as Brian does and ride whenever there isnt ice on the road.  What I have come to realize is KIPASS is a manly thing, only for the brave, if you have a fondness for things like snuggies (and maybe fanny packs ;) ) you are destined for an inferior machine with less then 6 gears and will forever be digging into you pockets (under your riding pants of course) for a key.  Instead of a nice smooth bulge in your pocket you will have an unsightly mess which will be a sure thing you can't handle the awe inspiring 'Mad powahs" of KIPASS.  KIPASS is the cure for the common cold and is the best mouse trap ever, just ask Kirby ;)
52,000 miles later I have never had an issue and I have only once lubed the switch, that was somewhere around 50,000 miles ago.
To sum things up, true KIPASS issues are fairly rare and keep in mind, it is an electro mechanical system, there will be some failures, I think inherantly the system is great.
PS If this is your fanny pack all will be well in the manly world http://www.kgproducts.com/BELTBAGS.html

I dont think even a camo colored snuggy will qualify tho ;D

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2012, 10:22:58 AM »
 :goodpost:
One thing I can add is is that I think it is possible for debris to get into the mechanism and cause problems. If that were the cause of a failure a simple clean out might be acceptable. After reading  the early KiPass failure posts (probably 97% of which were from that one Bob dude) I started regualarly inspecting the visible components and less regualry squirting in some suitable lubricant. One one inspection I discovered a fragment of dead leaf stuck inside. I spent about an hour extracting most of it. It is a mystery how it got there since the only time I remove the stove knob key is during fueling. So I wonder if it somehow got blown in from underneath. Maybe another good reason to install a fender extender.

Anyway like SOP I had a single possible 08 KiPass  episode in the early days. It happend in my own garage and responded to gentle tapping. The episode occurred after a wash. I sprayed with WD40 and I have had no more episodes, now at 67,000 miles.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2012, 12:59:50 PM »
Instead of a nice smooth bulge in your pocket you will have an unsightly mess which will be a sure thing you can't handle the awe inspiring 'Mad powahs" of KIPASS.

LOL!!!!!

PS If this is your fanny pack all will be well in the manly world http://www.kgproducts.com/BELTBAGS.html

I will say "no", since my permit is not concealed-carry, because I refuse to submit my fingerprints to the government (like a criminal), to be searched without probable cause every time any prints are run, probably anywhere in the country.  (Yes, that is what is required in my city).

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2012, 03:07:45 PM »
My stove key has only been removed once, the 1st day i owned the bike my friend Blkbird met me at the dealer up in NJ and showed me how it works.

KiPass has kept my bike hassle/failure free for >48,000 miles and still kickin' it   :D
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline lolife

« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2012, 04:01:17 PM »
I dropped it off at the dealer today.  No intermittent problem for me.  It was stone cold broke. 

They said they tried to call Kawi today but couldn't b/c it was MLK.  He said he'd call tomorrow & call me with the details.  We'll see what happens.   ;)

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2012, 07:01:14 PM »
I will say "no", since my permit is not concealed-carry, because I refuse to submit my fingerprints to the government (like a criminal), to be searched without probable cause every time any prints are run, probably anywhere in the country.  (Yes, that is what is required in my city).

So you are one of those crazy, open carry guys?   ;)

I would much rather have nobody know what is on my hip.

Offline Sea Level

« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2012, 07:38:14 PM »

Other than cops, I don't think I've ever seen an ordinary citizen openly carrying a handgun. Except at gun shows, or as they are affectionately called around here, "Sportsman Exhibitions". Speaking of unmanly men, I have a fondness for pocket guns and often carry a Baretta Jetfire .25, which slips easily into any pocket.

Max, I can sort of understand your feelings about the permit process, but getting fingerprinted makes sense to me in the context of having a license to carry. It's the best way of making sure the person purchasing the gun is the same person holding the permit. We allow fingerprinting for all sorts of innocent purposes, such as for tracing children.

But no matter how many girlie guns I may own or carry, I'll never do it in a fanny pack.   :pukeface:

Offline texrider

« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2012, 07:46:08 PM »
The WD-40 topic seems to be in the third rail catagory along with oil and tires.

Over 40 years of trouble free usage will keep it on my shelf.

Good luck with the ignition.
2014 Valkyrie

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2012, 09:44:37 PM »

No, it is usually locked up, safe.

Then here, you would be fingerprinted like a criminal.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2012, 09:48:54 PM »
Max, I can sort of understand your feelings about the permit process, but getting fingerprinted makes sense to me in the context of having a license to carry. It's the best way of making sure the person purchasing the gun is the same person holding the permit. We allow fingerprinting for all sorts of innocent purposes, such as for tracing children.

Well, since my fingerprints are not on record (and I want to keep it that way), it does absolutely nothing to identify that I am the person purchasing the gun.  I *strongly* disagree with collection of fingerprints (or DNA) from non-felons.  And I would never allow the government to fingerprint/DNA my children (if I had any).  I might take prints and store them myself... which is a huge difference.

I would happily submit my vein or retinal pattern, since I don't casually leave those all over the place.  Plus, I am aware if I am being ID'ed (plus lots of other things, but this is waaaaaaaaaaay off topic).

Son of Pappy

« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2012, 11:14:24 PM »

Then here, you would be fingerprinted like a criminal.

Or a service member, heck we give up DNA as well.  They'll get it regardless, the only real differance I see is consent.  How about the facial recognition programs in use, all those cameras going up in most, if not all, cities.  I live in a state where the law is based on "Must issue", provided of course you pass their local checks and are other wise quallified from a legal view.
Visit Idaho, you'll see lots of open carry.

Offline OCK913

• Arena
    • The Orlando Riders Club
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2012, 03:40:57 AM »
I refuse to submit my fingerprints to the government (like a criminal), to be searched without probable cause every time any prints are run, probably anywhere in the country.

Perhaps you have some skeletons in your closet that your fingerprints could make known??? I am picturing the FBI's "Most Wanted" database rotating this same set of fingerprints over and over, just waiting for a match. There is a guy in charge that points them out, saying "those prints right there, if that would ever apply for a gun permit, we got him."

In its most basic form, the biggest barrier to unethical behavior is fear of getting caught.
            2009 Kawasaki C14 - Black