Author Topic: Rostra Help  (Read 6211 times)

Offline mikeb2411

Rostra Help
« on: August 01, 2014, 07:49:31 PM »
I'm stuck. I have no idea which wire is to be used for NSS connection (clutch wire) for the Rostra CC install. I don't have a black connector under the boot and the only black wire with white dots that I have ends in the boot with a bullet connector on it. The connectors under the boot are red (small), Wwhite (a little bigger), dark gray (even larger), and off-white or yellowish (long with the most wires, but no just black wire). I'm lost and need help :-[...PLEASE!!
Mike
Ojai, CA
2016 Black Triumph Trophy SE

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Re: HELP!!
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2014, 08:03:11 PM »
Ignore the connector color.

Go to the photograph labeled fig. 8 in the tutorial. Note the connectors in that photo and find the one in your rubber boot (easy boys!) that is identical to the one I am holding in that photo (ignoring the color). Look at the colors of the wires under my fingers: you do have a connector like that that has the same colors in the same position. Now that you have the right connector, look where the arrow is in my photo and tap into that wire. It is black and <may> have faint white dots but again, it will be the same wire in the same connector in the same position. It looks like it is the wire in the second row, third column but again, verify this by checking the color in your own connector. That is the wire that you will connect to the NSS.

If you cannot find those color wires, simply turn the connectors around until you do find those colors. Remember, the wires change colors when they pass through connectors on Japanese vehicles so it is imperative you are looking at the correct side (the same side I show in the photo) of the connector. And absolutely the connector you want is NOT the 8 pin connector in that boot, nor is it the two wire connector and it is absolutely NOT either of the wires with a bullet connector on it. There are not that many connectors in that boot and once you eliminate all the ones I just mentioned, I believe the only one left IS the correct one.

Brian

I'm stuck. I have no idea which wire is to be used for NSS connection (clutch wire) for the Rostra CC install. I don't have a black connector under the boot and the only black wire with white dots that I have ends in the boot with a bullet connector on it. The connectors under the boot are red (small), Wwhite (a little bigger), dark gray (even larger), and off-white or yellowish (long with the most wires, but no just black wire). I'm lost and need help :-[...PLEASE!!
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2014, 08:20:57 PM »
Ignore the connector color.

Go to the photograph labeled fig. 8 in the tutorial. Note the connectors in that photo and find the one in your rubber boot (easy boys!) that is identical to the one I am holding in that photo (ignoring the color). Look at the colors of the wires under my fingers: you do have a connector like that that has the same colors in the same position. Now that you have the right connector, look where the arrow is in my photo and tap into that wire. It is black and <may> have faint white dots but again, it will be the same wire in the same connector in the same position. It looks like it is the wire in the second row, third column but again, verify this by checking the color in your own connector. That is the wire that you will connect to the NSS.

If you cannot find those color wires, simply turn the connectors around until you do find those colors. Remember, the wires change colors when they pass through connectors on Japanese vehicles so it is imperative you are looking at the correct side (the same side I show in the photo) of the connector. And absolutely the connector you want is NOT the 8 pin connector in that boot, nor is it the two wire connector and it is absolutely NOT either of the wires with a bullet connector on it. There are not that many connectors in that boot and once you eliminate all the ones I just mentioned, I believe the only one left IS the correct one.

Brian

The connectors under the boot don't look like the connector in the guide. Also, the only connector that has a black wire with white dots is a red "2 wire" connector. It has the black wire and a gray wire.
Mike
Ojai, CA

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2014, 08:55:28 PM »
No.

The connector you are looking for has 14 connections and 13 wires (one connection is NOT used but it is present in the connector). There will only be one connector with that number of connections and wires.

The wiring colors on the female side of the connector are:

Black / white
Black / Yellow
Green
Orange
Gray
Red / Black
Red / Blue
Red / Yellow
Blue / Yellow
Blue
Red / Green
Black  (this is the wire you want to tap into)
Black / Red

Now on the other side of the connector, the male side, the colors are as follows, and are given in the same order as the side above:

Black / White
Black / Yellow
Green
Orange / Green
Gray
Red / Black
Red / Blue
Red / Yellow
Blue / Yellow
Brown
Orange
Red / Green (this is the wire that connects to the black wire on the other side of the circuit)
Green / White

The first color given is always the color of the wire, the second color is always a stripe on that wire. So a Red / Green wire is a red wire with a narrow band of green on it. A Green / Red wire is a green wire with a narrow band of red on it; they are not the same and you must read them correctly.

Find the connector with 14 pins (contacts, one not have wires connected to it) and 13 wires inside the rubber boot on the left side of the bike under the black fairing cover. Ignore any and all other connectors and wires, use ONLY the connector with 14 pins and 13 wires. Find the black wire, there IS only one black wire in that connector and it will be connected, through the connector, to the Red / Green wire on the other side of the connector. Cut into the black wire insulation and attach the NSS wire on the Rostra to the black wire on the bike. Do not cut and seperate the black wire, or if you do, reconnect them with the NSS wire. What you are going to make is a 'Y' connection where one wire, the NSS wire from the Rostra, connects to the black wire on that connector on the bike. Insulate the joint well with electrical tape.

The connectors under the boot don't look like the connector in the guide. Also, the only connector that has a black wire with white dots is a red "2 wire" connector. It has the black wire and a gray wire.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline whatcom

• Bellingham, WA
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2014, 09:19:22 PM »
I got stuck at the same point following fartymarty and brian's, this guy's instructions worked for me, 2012 arabian red, red wire with green strip, pictures in the link from a guy in Austrailia:

http://www.murphskits.com/catalog/docs/Rostra%20Cruise%20Control%20to%20my%202011%20GTR1400.pdf

I mounted the control pad on the left and wired in as per instructions. I also mounted a couple of switches on the right and wired as if no control pad was used, they both work together and i can use either, pretty nice having contol on both sides!
2013 ZX14r white abs no-flies, scottoiler
2012  C14 Arabian red
Full AreaP ZX14 TB's PCV with dyno map for TB's Rostra CC, W&S remote, A&R HID, Kawasaki trunk with SW-Motech rack, 08/09 storage compartment

Offline whatcom

• Bellingham, WA
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2014, 09:28:18 PM »
Just a note, all the instructions from everyone were correct, it was just nice having a picture to point to it, BDF has been a really great resource, thanks!
2013 ZX14r white abs no-flies, scottoiler
2012  C14 Arabian red
Full AreaP ZX14 TB's PCV with dyno map for TB's Rostra CC, W&S remote, A&R HID, Kawasaki trunk with SW-Motech rack, 08/09 storage compartment

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2014, 09:28:22 PM »
Yep, that is the same wire on the other side of the connector. The gentleman who made that 'discovery' and claimed it was changed on later model motorcycles is wrong; he merely grabbed the identical circuit on the other side of the connector. All year C-14's have the black wire on one side, and the Red / Green wire on the other side of the connector.

It is the same thing as grabbing the wire on the male end of an extension cord that has the wider blade OR grabbing the wire on the female end of the same extension cord that has the wide slot. Either way, it is the same circuit.

Brian

I got stuck at the same point following fartymarty and brian's, this guy's instructions worked for me, 2012 arabian red, red wire with green strip, pictures in the link from a guy in Austrailia:

http://www.murphskits.com/catalog/docs/Rostra%20Cruise%20Control%20to%20my%202011%20GTR1400.pdf

I mounted the control pad on the left and wired in as per instructions. I also mounted a couple of switches on the right and wired as if no control pad was used, they both work together and i can use either, pretty nice having contol on both sides!

Offline mikeb2411

Rostra "HELP" update
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2014, 09:38:35 AM »
Alright, found the clutch wire (BIG thanks to Brian, Justin, and all those that helped me find it). Still can't get the CC unit to diagnose so I hooked it all up and...NOTHING :'(! The controller powers up but nothing beyond that. Now I'm pissed...I want to, need to get this working so life can resume...life on my bike! Well, back to "square 1" I guess :banghead: :nuts: :loco: :pukeface: :censored: :doh:
Mike
Ojai, CA

Offline mikeb2411

Rostra Install Update/Need Advice
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2014, 02:54:38 PM »
Okay...almost there. I FINALLY got the Rostra unit into diagnostic mode. Everything but the "wheel spinning" test worked. When I spin the back wheel the LED on Rostra blinks but doesn't change speed with the tire. I decided to take her out anyway and test it. The control pad works and the "Engaged" LED lights when I press "Set" on the control pad...BUT...it won't hold speed. I press set and slowly let go of the throttle and the speed bleeds off like it did before I installed the unit. In fact, when I press "Set" I get nothin...zero...squat...absolutely nothing happens. ???

Does ANYONE remember having that issue and know what to do to fix it?
Mike
Ojai, CA

Offline mikeb2411

Rostra Install Update II
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2014, 04:53:09 PM »
Still having problems with the VSS on the Rostra install. When in diagnostic mode the LED blinks when the rear tire is spinning but won't chnage speed with the tire. When the tire stops rotating the LED continues to blink...LOST :banghead: I am totally and completely at a loss over this one. I have checked, rechecked and re-rechecked the connection and it is solid. Any ideas, any advice (other than quit)? I could sure use some "rope" right about now :feedback:...
Mike
Ojai, CA

Offline Flienlow

• 2010 C-14 BLUE
Re: Rostra Install Update II
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2014, 05:10:58 PM »
Here is the question I have, and maybe someone smart like brian will know. How goes the Control pad with ENGAGE light/relay function? I am starting to think that my be your issue. I just used the regular Control pad. (there were enough problems with that one too.) :D

Offline mikeb2411

Final Rostra Update
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2014, 06:04:31 PM »
It's finished! I have succesfully installed the Rostra on my bike. Diagnostics passed and test ride was a success ;D! What a battle that was :battle:! I want to thank EVERYONE that chimed in to help...you guys are all awesome and it's great to know there are Concours brothers out there ready to help :grouphug:! Brian, thank you for putting up with my endless emails, questions, and blonde moments during the install...appreciate you bro :hail:! And, I want to apologize to the forum for posting so many questions regarding the install but I couldn't have done it without you guys...THANKS TO EVERYONE :chugbeer: :finger_fing11: :salute: :thumbs:!! So, this will HOPEFULLY be the last posting for the Rostra install on my part. Anyone out there willing to attemot this in the future...if you get stuck feel free to contact me and I will help where I can!

Catch you guys on the forum for other topics ;)

Mike
Mike
Ojai, CA

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: Final Rostra Update
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2014, 06:16:30 PM »
so....you're not going to tell us what the problem was?   ???

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2014, 06:40:55 PM »
so....you're not going to tell us what the problem was?   ???

LOL...of course! I was just so excited that it worked that I was busy trying to put everything back together.

So, first problem was a missed wire :-[! I missed one wire on the brake relay under the seat but once that was hooked up the Rostra unit entered diagnostic mode. Just for info, Brian's guide (excellent resource BTW) says to hold the "Resume/Accel" button while powering the bike on. I had to hold both the "Resume/Accel" and "On" switch on the cc controller by powering on the bike (he does mention following the guide that came with the unit and it does specify entering diagnostic mode both ways).

Second issue was the fact that it wouldn't set speed during the test ride. I came back and checked, rechecked, and re-rechecked the VSS wire connection and it was solid. I didn't know what to do and then the thought came to mind, "maybe there's too much slack in the throttle cable" :doh:. I went back in and adjusted the slack so that there is very little in the throttle cable and it WORKED!
Mike
Ojai, CA

Offline Flienlow

• 2010 C-14 BLUE
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2014, 07:00:41 PM »
Congrats! Like I said, this is your right of passage. You go from smashing **** pissed, to the Gleeist of elation once it finally friggin works!
Ps. the next one will not be any easier!  :D

Offline PH14

« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2014, 08:03:59 PM »
 :chugbeer: :banana Congrats! In addition to getting the job done, you also added to the knowledge base here for those who install it in the future. Thanks and well done!

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2014, 08:23:09 PM »
Excellent! Great to hear you got to the end successfully.

I have been working with folks for some years on these now and I do not think I know of anyone who gave up or did not have one work but there have been quite a few people really pressed emotionally during the install. It can be quite trying and frustrating.  Unfortunately, I do not know of any way to really make it any easier for people in the future because everyone seems to have slightly different problem areas. And I think for the average bike owner / light tinkerer, this is a pretty involved project involving mechanical work, a bit of fabrication, some wiring and doing some things on your own (I make no instruction on how to solder or use Posi- taps for the wiring for example). So it really is a pretty involved 'home' project and you should rightfully be proud of getting a working installation IMO.

In the end, the Rostra really only needs three things to function: power to the actuator, a stream of pulses on the VSS wire, and to sense ground on the brake light sensing wire. So they are fairly easy to jump for testing. That said, jumpered that way there is no way to disengage one so I never suggest anyone do that because frankly it is a bit too dangerous IMO.

Again congrats on the install and now go ride than pants off that thing!   8) ;D

Brian

LOL...of course! I was just so excited that it worked that I was busy trying to put everything back together.

So, first problem was a missed wire :-[! I missed one wire on the brake relay under the seat but once that was hooked up the Rostra unit entered diagnostic mode. Just for info, Brian's guide (excellent resource BTW) says to hold the "Resume/Accel" button while powering the bike on. I had to hold both the "Resume/Accel" and "On" switch on the cc controller by powering on the bike (he does mention following the guide that came with the unit and it does specify entering diagnostic mode both ways).

Second issue was the fact that it wouldn't set speed during the test ride. I came back and checked, rechecked, and re-rechecked the VSS wire connection and it was solid. I didn't know what to do and then the thought came to mind, "maybe there's too much slack in the throttle cable" :doh:. I went back in and adjusted the slack so that there is very little in the throttle cable and it WORKED!

Offline B.D.F.

Re: Rostra Install Update II
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2014, 08:27:44 PM »
The OP got his working and it was a missed wire on the brake light circuit. Simple wiring error but that is much easier for me to say than it was for him to find, as these things usually are.

The control switch with the 'Engaged' light does not actually interact with the engaged light at all; it is merely a light on the pad with its own wiring. The engaged light and especially the relay that is sometimes needed to make it work have caused problems but only because of the added complexity of the additional parts and wiring. The light itself is not active in any way with the Rostra and cannot / will not cause any type of failure beyond burning up the light circuit itself and even that will not stop the CC from functioning.

Brian

Here is the question I have, and maybe someone smart like brian will know. How goes the Control pad with ENGAGE light/relay function? I am starting to think that my be your issue. I just used the regular Control pad. (there were enough problems with that one too.) :D

Offline C14lvr

Re: Rostra Help
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2014, 10:30:27 AM »
Mike,
Glad you got it going.
Sorry I had to leave town this weekend.
But the road was calling, and I used my Rostra a lot yesterday!
A friend and I rode from Tulsa to Mena, Arkansas via the Talimena Drive.
Great ride, rode about 500 miles. Rostra worked flawlessly.
Now if I could just get my new TomTom GPS to work right!  Arrrggghhh!
Congrats, Mike. I know you're gonna love it, and your hard work will pay off.
Plus, now you understand more about it, and you saved $400 to boot!

Brian,
I can't remember if I mentioned this to you when I did mine 2 years ago on my '11 model, but there is a connector color difference/some wire color differences Kawai made starting 2010 from the '08/09's.
Not sure why they made the changes...

If I get time, I'll take the cover off and remind myself what the differences are, and send some pics if you want to update your tutorial.
I remember running into that on mine, but don't remember it being too tough to figure out.

Bob
2011 C14 ABS black w/red/yellow, B.D.F lofuel W.E.,SSD h/g's,
2" setback risers, Phil's wedges/rear rack,K Gel-seat, Rostra CC, AST tourpegs, techspec, 2"droppegs, 4"droppass pegs, Fuzeblock,  7"Garmin, fenda ext, LED tag plate, Ip5S Ram mt, TMeister, Mirror LED t/s, Bestem TBox, CB HDUT w/s, TRex front/CC bag, Wolo Badboy, Tailbrights, Scala G9X, Scorpion EXO1200 Jag, PR4GT's55's, 55W Qz Dr

Offline rocknrod

• 2013 C14 - Blue
Re: Rostra Help
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2014, 01:44:31 PM »
I'm about to order my CC kit so this will help, I'm book marking this thread  :thumbs:
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 03:26:17 PM by rocknrod »
Master Chief, US Navy, Retired
2013 C14 Blue, Fenda Extenda, Radiator Screen, HeliBars, Glove Box Mod, 3M paint Protector, Rostra Cruise Control, TechSpec Tank Grips, Lowering Links and Side Stand, Front lowered, Lowered center stand, Balwin Seat.