Author Topic: Rostra install issues (yet another one).  (Read 6810 times)

Offline jqram35

• 2012 C-14 Candy Arabian Red
Rostra install issues (yet another one).
« on: March 19, 2012, 08:26:58 AM »
The Murphkits instructions are good but not really for the 2012. After doing more reading I need to relocate my control unit to right side fairing. I have only found one pic of the cable mount down by the throttle. They used the coolant res tank mounting bolt, but no pic of the connection to the throttle blade. Did a search and did not find much info on this area...Did every one mount the bracket to the coolant tank bolt? Did everyone use the looped cable to attach to throttle?
Jeff

Offline jqram35

Re: Rostra install issues (yet another one).
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 09:18:22 AM »
Ok remounted box and this is what I came up with for the throttle cable mount. Seem pretty solid.

Jeff

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 10:17:49 AM »
You can still mount the Rostra actuator to the left of the radiator inside the fairing- there is room to do that as shown on an '08 model.

Just my opinion but I would not use the coolant recovery tank mount as the Rostra cable mount for a couple of reasons- the first is that the bolt goes through a plastic ear and you really just cannot properly tighten that fastener. The second reason is that the mounting point is to the side of the end of the cable and all movement / stress of the cable will tend to bend or deflect the cable mount. It would be better to mount to someplace on the bike that is all- metal and more or less in-line with the place where the throttle cable will go.

All of that said, many different people have used very different techniques to use a Rostra on a C-14 and a lot of them seem to work well. Best of luck with yours.

Brian

The Murphkits instructions are good but not really for the 2012. After doing more reading I need to relocate my control unit to right side fairing. I have only found one pic of the cable mount down by the throttle. They used the coolant res tank mounting bolt, but no pic of the connection to the throttle blade. Did a search and did not find much info on this area...Did every one mount the bracket to the coolant tank bolt? Did everyone use the looped cable to attach to throttle?
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline jqram35

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 10:28:46 AM »
Well that is why I am asking, there aren't allot of options in that area to mount that rascal. This is the only example I have seen. I was hoping someone would show me a better way that I am failing to see. As far as the control box goes I think away from the radiator and exhaust up top is the better option.
Jeff

Offline jayke

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 10:28:56 AM »
I’ve got an Audiovox but the throttle connection is the same.   Normally the bead chain is closer to the throttle arm.  Looks like you are using  Part # G6 or G7 throttle wire loop ( Hangmans noose) from the Rostra Manual between the servo cable and the throttle arm.  Try using the bead chain eyelet connector Part # G95 from the Rostra Manual and move everything up towards the throttle arm.

Rostra Manual Link: http://www.rostra.com/manuals/250-1223Form4565E.pdf

In my opinion with the way the cable is now, you have a high risk that  the servo cable / bead chain / throttle wire loop might hang up on something.  That would not be fun coming in hot and trying to make a turn.

In any case, with the bike off turn the throttle 15-30 times to full throttle and let go.  If it sticks just once, fix it before your ride.

Offline jqram35

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 11:16:44 AM »
I agree. Redid that but I dont really see anyway to move it all up and shorten the chain.

Jeff

Offline jayke

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 12:08:59 PM »
Look at only the throttle connections from my '08 Audiovox install.  Maybe that will give you some ideas.

Link:http://www.murphskits.com/catalog/docs/c14cc-install.htm

I made a bracket from parts in the cruise kit for the servo cable and bolted it to an existing bolt in the removable frame brace.

Offline jqram35

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012, 12:23:52 PM »
I am going to go with what I have, it is solid and I have everything out of the way. I re-bent it and it is as close as I can get it.
Jeff

Offline jqram35

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2012, 01:08:03 PM »
Got a wiring issue now. My controller 4 pin connector has two red wires and I did not get the actual plastic connector piece for one side. I am not sure which red wire goes to which or where the brown wire connects...
Jeff

Offline jqram35

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2012, 01:16:35 PM »
found schematic... I think I am missing the wiring diagram for the controller.
Jeff

Offline jayke

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2012, 02:13:38 PM »
Look under Troubleshooting ........page 21

http://www.rostra.com/manuals/250-1223Form4565E.pdf

Keep going ..you're almost there  :D

Offline jqram35

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2012, 02:16:25 PM »
Yes looking good LOL
Jeff

Offline jqram35

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2012, 03:48:47 PM »
Got it just about buttoned up. Need to get to posilock taps for the clutch and VSS wires. Then test and reinstall plastic.
Jeff

Offline basmntdweller

• The Profile Brotherhood
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2012, 03:57:09 PM »
Got it just about buttoned up. Need to get to posilock taps for the clutch and VSS wires. Then test and reinstall plastic.

Don't connect clutch before testing. Unit won't go into diagnostic mode if wire to clutch is connected.

I am still having a problem with mine but it is probably just a connection not connected. Diagnostics checks everything okay except the set button. I just need to pull the plastic back off and trace that wire all the way back from the switch to the servo unit. Switch itself checks out okay.

Matt
'09 C14
'98 DR-350
'11 Suzuki C50T wife's ride since she hates my Connie
'03 Honda CBR600RR track bike

Offline jqram35

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2012, 03:59:36 PM »
Don't connect clutch before testing. Unit won't go into diagnostic mode if wire to clutch is connected.

I am still having a problem with mine but it is probably just a connection not connected. Diagnostics checks everything okay except the set button. I just need to pull the plastic back off and trace that wire all the way back from the switch to the servo unit. Switch itself checks out okay.

Matt
Will do! Thanks
Jeff

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2012, 12:01:32 AM »
Well my mount is very ugly but it seems more stable than just using the coolant tank bolt alone. Don't let
my pictures of the damaged wire bundle scare you (they still scare me!) as that was my attempts at
making my first plan work. It didn't, and forced me to come up with another one, a much better one in the end.

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=2855.msg38769#msg38769

Well that is why I am asking, there aren't allot of options in that area to mount that rascal. This is the only example I have seen.
I'm sorry I didn't see your post earlier.

Offline jqram35

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2012, 08:16:11 AM »
Well my mount is very ugly but it seems more stable than just using the coolant tank bolt alone. Don't let
my pictures of the damaged wire bundle scare you (they still scare me!) as that was my attempts at
making my first plan work. It didn't, and forced me to come up with another one, a much better one in the end.

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=2855.msg38769#msg38769
I'm sorry I didn't see your post earlier.
I didn't see your post because of the title.....No mention of Rostra or Cruise. I did a pretty good search and allot of reading to try to prepare. Still pretty happy with my mount may take off water bottle and see if I can make a piece to connect the other end to something. I do appreciate everyone's input and all the write ups...
Jeff

Offline jqram35

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2012, 01:53:46 PM »
Okay I cut the strobe brake lite out of the brake circuit and now the Rostra is functioning. It will not go into diagnostic mode but it is working, and no I have not hooked up the clutch kill wire yet. Only tried it on the center stand and it engages but cant keep the speed constant rev up and down...In any case it is progress.
Jeff

Offline xsv

« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2012, 09:20:31 PM »
Okay I cut the strobe brake lite out of the brake circuit and now the Rostra is functioning. It will not go into diagnostic mode but it is working, and no I have not hooked up the clutch kill wire yet. Only tried it on the center stand and it engages but cant keep the speed constant rev up and down...In any case it is progress.

When it is on the center stand it will rev up and down.  Don't worry, if it is doing that, it is working and will not do that on the street!
2015 Triumph Trophy SE

Offline jqram35

« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2012, 10:43:47 PM »
Figured it was okay with no resistance. Was hoping for confirmation thanks.
Jeff