Author Topic: Sump. Urgent help  (Read 2259 times)

Offline LT South Africa

Sump. Urgent help
« on: March 05, 2017, 12:17:02 AM »
Hi guys,

I need some urgent help please.

I have been replacing some seals this week end. Balancer shaft. Water pump. Sump gasket etc..... All very easy thanx to the explanations found on this forum.

Now I am assembling the sump and about to fit the new sump gasket. While checking all the components are fixed and in place I noticed one outlet/inlet which marries with the sump. But it does not have anything as a union (join) between the two. Have a look at the pics taken upwards. The hole on the right of the pic is for the oil pick up. No problem here. The hole to its left marries with a hole on the sump. I would think here should be something that would seat between the two. Maybe a small collar or even a rubber O ring. As you can see the smaller hole below the hole on the left does have a rubber O ring.

I made a point of not removing any components other than the oil pick up. I have double checked what's still to be assembled and I don't have anything which could fit here.  Is it possible that nothing actually is required here? I don't know. Can anybody give me some advice?

See pics attached

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
Re: Sump. Urgent help
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2017, 12:53:55 AM »
These holes? A rubber o-ring, or a sleeve and o-ring, is called for.

See: http://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/a/kaw/500b2ba2f8700223e4793d95/oil-pump-oil-filter it may help

Rick
Rick Hall     1994 ZG 1000 "Sam"      xCOG #1914 (CO)
  GfNi H.P.   DOD #2040   1kQSPT 14.16   IBA #3274
    The Kawasaki Concours page at: www.zggtr.org

Offline LT South Africa

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2017, 01:04:36 AM »
Yep. Those holes. The top one is fine. The oil pick up goes there. The right one is fine. It has a O ring. It's the one on the left that caught my eye. I don't and did not find anything between the hole on the engine and the hole on the sump. I'm not quite sure what this channel is for. It seems to come from a recessed gauze filter in the sump. I'm not even sure which way the oil travels here. Although I would think it travels up the pick up tube and down everything else. So using this as a conclusion it travels down this channel and then comes out a gauze filter and then into the sump.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 01:58:49 AM by LT South Africa »

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2017, 03:26:16 PM »
Iirc there are 8 or so o rings associated down there in various places, factory service manual is beneficial for this type of service... actually, its crucial, and should be consulted for correct placement, disassembly, and reassembly sequences, along with proper torques for bolts, and actually which bolts need sealant on them also during reassembly... PLEASE obtain the manual, I cannot stress this enough to people, especially when they have "URGENT... HELP ME..." questions like this.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline LT South Africa

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2017, 09:27:23 PM »
This is why I am on this forum.

I earn a fraction of what many of you would claim.

I am a scholar vehicle (buses) compliance officer. I ensure the roadworthy of school vehicles and I do ongoing safety training for the drivers. I have 35 schools in my portfolio. Business here in SA is such that I am required to travel to work on my own transport. Then I draw a vehicle for the day and I go out to visit my schools. Some of which are a half a days drive away.

As it would. Only 25 of these bikes ever made it to SA. I use the bike as my primary transport.

I don't have the privilege of ordering on eBay and getting delivery a few days later.

I have to budget and plan well ahead to have any maintenance done. All the seals I have ordered recently came ex Japan. I waited 5 weeks from order to receive the parts.

If I am annoying you guys by being here and requesting assistance on trying to keep my Connie alive then I would apologise. It was not my intention. I just don't have any other means.

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2017, 10:42:31 PM »
If I am annoying you guys by being here and requesting assistance on trying to keep my Connie alive then I would apologise. It was not my intention. I just don't have any other means.

We look at it as a challenge :)

If you have one of the correct O-rings... They should be a standard metric O-ring, get more. Am sure you have a generic/industrial parts supplier in RSA. And/or, get several with an approximate diameter, and various thicknesses. (thickness is probably the most important criteria). Lightly grease the ring, install it and the sump. Remove the sump carefully and look at the smear of grease on the mating surfaces to see if you have the right thickness.

If you have a means of measuring depth of both recesses (depth micrometer, dial caliper, etc.) you can come pretty close to guessing the thickness of the O-ring. Allow for crush.

As to your cam chain, it looks fine. The 'teeth' (chain and gear) generally ride on a flank of the teeth, and are *not* fully meshed. It's similar for two gears, but visually it's not that obvious.

And per Man of Blues, a slight smear of sealant on the half-moons is all that's needed. I don't have any on mine, and get a microscopic weep of oil... if any at all. +170k miles on my bike.

Rick
Rick Hall     1994 ZG 1000 "Sam"      xCOG #1914 (CO)
  GfNi H.P.   DOD #2040   1kQSPT 14.16   IBA #3274
    The Kawasaki Concours page at: www.zggtr.org

Offline LT South Africa

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2017, 10:07:08 AM »
Thanx. Much appreciate the advice. I did exactly as MOB said. I only placed a little on my finger and smeared the lobes. I have done the assembly and it looks good. Except for a little problem. I ordered the seals which go under the 6 bolts on the tappet cover. They haven't arrived yet. I looked for a substitute at a hardware outlet and could not find anything suitable. So  I am stranded again for awhile. It's very challenging. I don't have the financial means to go full 9 yards on the bike. But if it's the last of the Connie's in RSA I will achieve the impossible and ride it with pride. After all. It's bullet proof....... 😎