Poll

Have you ever experienced a problem with the battery, terminals, connectors, grounds, etc that caused the C14 to act strangely when trying to start or caused the bike to die after being started? (Read first post before voting)

Owned C14 less than a year- NEVER had such issue
Owned C14 2-6 years- NEVER had such issue
Owned C14 7+ years- NEVER had such issue
Owned C14 less than a year- HAD the issue
Owned C14 2-6 years- HAD the issue
Owned C14 7+ years- HAD the issue

Author Topic: Poll- unusual voltage/kipass issues  (Read 1290 times)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Poll- unusual voltage/kipass issues
« on: July 11, 2020, 06:36:38 AM »
I am curious.  We all know the C14 seems especially sensitive to voltage/current/terminal/battery/ground issues.  Not your normal type where the battery is weak or something and it just doesn't start, or it just clicks, or it properly warns that the voltage is low.  But strange/unusual behavior like the the display freaking out, or seemingly random, unusual error messages, or similar experiences that would lead a typical user to NOT understand it was a simple problem...  Then one discovers, later, it just was a weak or defective battery, or a poor connection to the battery or frame grounds.  THIS SHOULD NOT be confused with the other issue of the key/knob just not working (and requiring the infamous "K Rock" solution of banging on the knob to release the switch).

This has happened to me twice- once where I had no idea what was going on and the other where I was familiar with the problem so I knew what it was.  The second time left me stranded away from home for a while (where I had to remove the battery and clean/tighten the connections).

I set the poll to allow changing of your vote, in case you make a mistake, or as this thread gets old you need to change it because it then happens to you.  Thanks for participating!

Over the many years, we have seen lots of such posts.  I am just curious to collect some information to see how many of us have seen such a problem.  So I thought a poll might be interesting.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline PH14

Re: Poll- unusual voltage/kipass issues
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2020, 09:40:05 AM »
I voted. 7+ years and no issues, but, if I have an issue after voting, I will blame you.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2020, 10:26:29 AM »
I voted. 7+ years and no issues, but, if I have an issue after voting, I will blame you.

Ditto

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2020, 11:27:14 AM »

LOL!
That does seem to be the way things work, sometimes.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2020, 01:49:56 AM »
I've never had an issue, but after hearing various peoples issues I modified my earth connections by adding a copper crush washer between the battery cable and the frame. I then smeared it all in silicone grease to prevent corrosion. My Motobatt battery terminals are brass so not worried about those.  ;D
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline Conrad

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2020, 06:50:19 AM »
No issues for me in 7+ years (11+ actually) with my C14. I remove my battery during the winter months and the only issue that I ever had with it, other than mice in the battery compartment, was a nasty corroded negative battery post on the OEM battery. I replaced it, no problems since that issue. 

Motobatt is what I replaced the OEM battery with with, back in 2015.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2020, 02:59:47 PM »
Been a very long time since we have had an 'I like KiPass' / 'I hate Kipass' thread (regardless of the actual wording used on this survey). I kinda' miss it..... :'( The image of so many riders beating the $*!( out of their ign. switch housings with a rock has always brought me a great deal of amusement, especially when they are trying to 'fix' a flat tire or a missing saddle bag or similar.

Somewhere out there, Ole' Bob has had a shiver go up his spine when this thread was posted.  :rotflmao:

Brian
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2020, 03:19:15 PM »
With only 14 responses so far, we might not learn all that much.  But, let's give it some time.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2020, 01:24:22 PM »
Been a very long time since we have had an 'I like KiPass' / 'I hate Kipass' thread (regardless of the actual wording used on this survey). I kinda' miss it..... :'( The image of so many riders beating the $*!( out of their ign. switch housings with a rock has always brought me a great deal of amusement, especially when they are trying to 'fix' a flat tire or a missing saddle bag or similar.

Somewhere out there, Ole' Bob has had a shiver go up his spine when this thread was posted.  :rotflmao:

Brian

And for those of us being here since dirt, we know this Bob and actually have ridden with him..

I only had it happen twice and both times after washing the bike.  Both times were fixed by beating it into submission and cursing it with ever foul word I knew.  However, once I had Brian's 'fix' installed, it never did it again...knocking on wood for my friend who owns it now.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline PH14

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2020, 02:33:14 PM »

And for those of us being here since dirt, we know this Bob and actually have ridden with him..

I only had it happen twice and both times after washing the bike.  Both times were fixed by beating it into submission and cursing it with ever foul word I knew.  However, once I had Brian's 'fix' installed, it never did it again...knocking on wood for my friend who owns it now.

Wait, you WASH your bike?  :yikes: No wonder!

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2020, 12:10:26 PM »
Only those two times.  I don't need lightening to hit me more than twice to learn something.  BTW, this does not apply to the Indian which I have washed significantly more than twice.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline DGOLD

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2020, 12:48:28 PM »
I have had my 2010 since April 2010. About every other year I find the battery connection loose or some invisible corrosion will cause multiple issues. So far it has always been fixed by a thorough cleaning and reassembleing.
Symptoms seem to vary from no juice to weird dash messages.
1995 c10(gone), 2001 c10(passed on to son),
2010 c14(current mistress)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2020, 04:24:04 PM »
So, in other words, you have a KiPass problem about every two years?

:rotflmao:

Brian

I have had my 2010 since April 2010. About every other year I find the battery connection loose or some invisible corrosion will cause multiple issues. So far it has always been fixed by a thorough cleaning and reassembleing.
Symptoms seem to vary from no juice to weird dash messages.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2020, 05:17:42 AM »
Interesting you say that...   Battery/voltage issues appear to be in most modern motorcycles these days and Indian is no stranger to that.  Terminals get loose and batteries go bad.  Small drops in voltage can cause all kinds of havoc.

Offline DGOLD

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2020, 10:13:49 AM »

Never had kipass issue . My issues were always electric as in kipass my key moves into start but then the bike won't start or I get strange error messages or the bike will stall at random times.
I have the kipass rescue switch/fuse that I only ever needed to use when I didn't want my older boys to borrow the bike.

Brian

1995 c10(gone), 2001 c10(passed on to son),
2010 c14(current mistress)

Offline PH14

« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2020, 06:54:28 PM »
Only those two times.  I don't need lightening to hit me more than twice to learn something.  BTW, this does not apply to the Indian which I have washed significantly more than twice.

:yikes: He has gone to the other side...the clean side, but the other side nonetheless.

Offline PH14

« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2020, 06:55:19 PM »

Brian

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2020, 07:41:43 AM »
LOL...