Author Topic: Sold my Concours to get something different  (Read 17651 times)

Offline Texas

Sold my Concours to get something different
« on: December 10, 2016, 10:14:32 PM »
I sold my 2009 Kawasaki Concours. I'd had it for six years which is a lot longer than I've ever had a bike.  I usually keep a bike for a few years and then get something else.  But I really liked the Concours.  I rode it from my home in central Texas to the Grand Canyon via Durango, Ouray, Telluride and the four corners.  It was a great trip and the Concours was the perfect bike.  But after six years I wanted something new and different.  To replace it I started looking at everything including KTM, BMW, Ducati and Yamaha.  I felt in love with a Ducati Multi and then a couple of different BMW's.  Then I almost got a 2016 Yamaha FJR1300.  But in the end none of these great bikes grabbed me enough to make me buy it.  After looking and looking and looking I finally bought a new bike:

A 2016 Kawasaki Concours (Metallic Moondust Gray)

The smile on my face might be even bigger than when I first got my 2009 Concours.
2016 Concours Metallic Moondust Gray
Previous Bikes
2009 Concours, 2008 BMW K1200R, 1995 Vmax, 2003 Vmax, 1997 Vmax, 1996 Vmax, 1992 Yamaha Seca II, 1970 something Yamaha 90

Offline O.C.

Re: Sold my Concours to get something different
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2016, 03:53:02 AM »
I'm sure that you will love your new Connie, I love mine and think that its the best one so far

BTW you have also chosen the fastest colour  ;)   
CARPE DIEM

KAWASAKI VERSYS 650

Offline d04011

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2016, 05:37:56 AM »
When I bought my Concours I really liked it but after I got Steve's flash I began to love it.  It pretty much covers all the things I want in a bike and has become my "go to" bike.  This is first bike (of MANY) that I ever was willing to drop serious bucks on farkles and it is as close to perfect for my needs as I will get.  I don't see ever letting it leave from the stable.  I'll ride it until either it or myself dies, whichever comes first...
Current Rides: 2016 Kawasaki ZX-14R SE; 2015 Kawasaki Concours; 2014 Triumph Rocket 3 Roadster; 2012 H-D Fat Bob; 1984 Honda V65 Sabre

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2016, 08:09:36 AM »
I sold my 2009 Kawasaki Concours. [...] After looking and looking and looking I finally bought a new bike:

A 2016 Kawasaki Concours (Metallic Moondust Gray)

The smile on my face might be even bigger than when I first got my 2009 Concours.

You are not the first to do that!  Sometimes it is just time for a newer one.  Plus you get all the 2nd gen features.  The grass is not always greener.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2016, 08:10:35 AM »
When I bought my Concours I really liked it but after I got Steve's flash I began to love it.

Yep.  When you think you are tired of the Concours (or even when not), it is time to flash!
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline olie

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2016, 08:56:02 AM »
I know the feeling... after my 09 I bought a ... 13.  If I sell my 13 I would buy another C14. Meanwhile I am looking forward to the MY18, as I believe it will be a new massive re-design. Keep in mind that the 1400GTR is no longer available in Europe... something tell me a new one is in the pipeline.
13 Blue Connie, 8/4/2013
16 Green Versys 1k
11 Red Vette

Offline Ron Dawg

• Arena
  • a/k/a ron203
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2016, 10:00:02 AM »
Yep.  When you think you are tired of the Concours (or even when not), it is time to flash!

The flash makes a very satisfying bike to ride. In other news:

Really cold here at the moment (22-35 degrees - yeah, temperature perception is relative). Somebody needs to come up with some snap on and removeable  full length, fairing wings like oversized Baker AirWings for winter adventures. Temps make me miss my C-10 (cold is what made me thing about something "different" to the C-14).  But this shall pass and the C-14 is safe.

Keep us informed!
2014 C-14 Red

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2016, 03:25:29 PM »
I know the feeling... after my 09 I bought a ... 13.  If I sell my 13 I would buy another C14. Meanwhile I am looking forward to the MY18, as I believe it will be a new massive re-design. Keep in mind that the 1400GTR is no longer available in Europe... something tell me a new one is in the pipeline.

None of us mere mortals can really know, but I agree that the '17 is almost certainly the last Gen2 C14.  It is a nice, even, 10-year run of the C14 and the competition has put lots of pressure on things like cruise, suspension, headlights, etc.  But it shows just how far advanced the C14 design was to last this long and STILL be at or very near the top of the concept.

What's up next?  Gen3?  Or something totally new?  Or will they drop the concept completely?  The latter seems unthinkable, considering how long the C10 and C14 have been around.  I am not sure why the '17 is showing in the USA and CA but not EU.

Offline olie

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2016, 05:03:17 PM »
...Kawasaki decided not to make the required changes to comply with Euro4 standards. Meanwhile they made those changes on the ZZR1400 (Z14R).
13 Blue Connie, 8/4/2013
16 Green Versys 1k
11 Red Vette

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2016, 05:59:48 PM »
The EU4 reads like the KDS system used on the c14 would have to be scrapped in favor of OBD1 standards. Costly proposition.

Offline O.C.

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2016, 01:19:41 AM »
...Kawasaki decided not to make the required changes to comply with Euro4 standards. Meanwhile they made those changes on the ZZR1400 (Z14R).

Correct, I'm hoping the C14 wont be dropped altogether. It has never been a big seller, most manufacturers have a Big Tourer at the top of their range of bikes, I can't see KHI breaking tradition, plus it would be a great opportunity for KHI to really update the current C14

The Current ZZR 1400 (1441cc) engine does comply with Euro 4 emission  requirements so maybe a 'de-tuned' version of that is on the cards   ;)   
CARPE DIEM

KAWASAKI VERSYS 650

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2016, 05:41:01 AM »
so maybe a 'de-tuned' version of that is on the cards

It would not be "de-tuned", it is just a different tuning.  It is actually not a "tuning" anyway, it is a setup.  "Tuning" implies no physical changes, just adjustments to settings like what is done with the reflashing of the ECU.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2016, 05:52:10 AM »
If they continue it I think they'll stay with a VVT engine and add throttle-by-wire.

Offline Ron Dawg

• Arena
  • a/k/a ron203
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2016, 06:23:54 AM »
I wonder it the 1,441 cc will motivate them to label it a C-15?
2014 C-14 Red

Offline O.C.

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2016, 01:20:49 PM »
It would not be "de-tuned", it is just a different tuning.  It is actually not a "tuning" anyway, it is a setup.  "Tuning" implies no physical changes, just adjustments to settings like what is done with the reflashing of the ECU.

I think it was understood what I meant...Thanks for your correction  :) 
CARPE DIEM

KAWASAKI VERSYS 650

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2016, 02:12:42 PM »
Here ya go O.C. -----  :1DeadBanana

Offline O.C.

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2016, 02:18:18 PM »
 :) ;) Apt
CARPE DIEM

KAWASAKI VERSYS 650

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2016, 04:41:29 PM »
I wonder it the 1,441 cc will motivate them to label it a C-15?

It shouldn't, unless they can get it to or above 1,450, then they can round it up!

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2016, 04:44:55 PM »
If they continue it I think they'll stay with a VVT engine and add throttle-by-wire.

Both are probable; there is no way they would introduce something new without throttle-by-wire, and VVT seems very likely and works well for our configuration (which is designed (not DETUNED) for better low-end response, reliability, low vibration, comfort and effective cruising while still offering ample power for the sport time).

But there is this trend in making engines smaller now (cars and bikes) both for emissions and mileage, so maybe a C13?  I really hope they don't go in that direction unless they plan on offering it with a supercharger.... in which case maybe a C11s?  (Very unlikely).

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2016, 07:25:41 PM »
It would not be "de-tuned", it is just a different tuning.

Every time you make this "correction" I have to wonder if you actually rode a ZX-14. The C14 is a detuned version, whichever way you slice it. Nobody needs the ZX power, but then again, nobody needs the C14 power.
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.