Author Topic: Stereo thread  (Read 6560 times)

Offline zsiska

• Arena
Stereo thread
« on: July 14, 2011, 06:31:38 PM »
I know there was several on the "old" site.  Unless I am having trouble finding one here, I don't see one yet.  I had one on mine and took everything off to mount on another bike and now want to add one back to the Concours.  I am planning on mounting my Jensen HD910.  Can anybody with stereos please post some pics and maybe some detail.  And if you have the Jensen, I would really appreciate those pics of how you mounted it. 

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
Re: Stereo thread
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 06:52:40 PM »
Zak - Just my opinion - don't do it. I had stereo's all the way back to the early 80's on my suzuki's, and really, they become worthless after about 60 mph. I have one on the voyager, pretty well sorted by the factory, still sucks on the highway - worthless in fact. If you want music, i've found an MP3 player and some nice etymotic in-ear earphones to be flawless - again, JMO - Steve

Offline zsiska

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 07:08:57 PM »
Zak - Just my opinion - don't do it. I had stereo's all the way back to the early 80's on my suzuki's, and really, they become worthless after about 60 mph. I have one on the voyager, pretty well sorted by the factory, still sucks on the highway - worthless in fact. If you want music, i've found an MP3 player and some nice etymotic in-ear earphones to be flawless - again, JMO - Steve

I appreciate your opinion, but I can't stand any earphones I have tried and the helmet speakers weren't bad, but I hated the wire hanging out.  I have the Jensen and some speakers and amp on my Vstar (different bike all together I know) and I can hear it perfectly on the highway with more volume to go.  I also went from wearing a full face helmet to a half or 3/4 so that may help me hear it better.  I don't do to much highway riding.  Even on long trips we tend to shy away from the highways.  Even if it takes twice as long to get where we are going. 

Offline jim snyder

• Arena
  • I'm married but my girlfriends name is Connie
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2011, 07:10:52 PM »
I'm going to do satellite radio with helmet speakers (J&M's)
"Somedays you're the windshield, and somedays you're the bug"
"An armed citizen is a patriot, and unarmed citizen is a victim"

http://community.webshots.com/user/kawadude

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2011, 07:25:22 AM »
On my XS Eleven with the Windjammer V fairing I had a CycleSound stereo system that worked great. I used to ride it in the hill country around here and never had any problem at all with hearing the sound. My passengers didn't have any problem hearing it either. I am going to put one on when I am able to. In the picture below you can see what the CycleSound system looked like.

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2011, 01:31:29 AM »
On my XS Eleven with the Windjammer V fairing I had a CycleSound stereo system that worked great. I used to ride it in the hill country around here and never had any problem at all with hearing the sound. My passengers didn't have any problem hearing it either. I am going to put one on when I am able to. In the picture below you can see what the CycleSound system looked like.
I think my grandfather had that same system mounted on the fender of his H Farmall  8)
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline Tele130

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2011, 09:04:28 AM »
The HD 910 is the unit I've been looking at for a long time now.  Only exception I'd be making is the use of Ear Buds in place of external speakers.  Having access to a weather band that will break into normal programing while on the road seems very worthwhile to me.  Plus I can plug in my iPod to it.......and it's waterproof!  Win, Win, Win:thumbs: ;D
Does this mean we get a "Re-Do" on life too?

Doug Colton
2006 Concours............nice ride!!!!!

Offline zsiska

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2011, 08:15:46 PM »
The HD 910 is the unit I've been looking at for a long time now.  Only exception I'd be making is the use of Ear Buds in place of external speakers.  Having access to a weather band that will break into normal programing while on the road seems very worthwhile to me.  Plus I can plug in my iPod to it.......and it's waterproof!  Win, Win, Win:thumbs: ;D

I love the Jensen.  Bought it from a member here.  I ran it through an external 100 watt amp (even though it has a built in 15 watt) and to the speakers.  I can hear it perfectly and don't have to mess with the earphones. Just my preference though to use the speakers.

Offline Tele130

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2011, 09:31:38 AM »
I love the Jensen.  Bought it from a member here.  I ran it through an external 100 watt amp (even though it has a built in 15 watt) and to the speakers.  I can hear it perfectly and don't have to mess with the earphones. Just my preference though to use the speakers.

Do you wear a full faced helmet?  Speaker location?  If I go with extrernal speakers, I think I'll go with this system.  But no weather band :(.

http://www.jensenmarinedirect.com/jensen-waterproof-am-fm-ipod-sirius-satellite-radio-ready-stereo.html
Does this mean we get a "Re-Do" on life too?

Doug Colton
2006 Concours............nice ride!!!!!

Offline ATC Buckeye

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2011, 10:36:47 AM »
I have speakers in the fairing pockets, a satellite radio on Bucks dash shelf, an external amp under the seat with volume and power control run up to the dash, all waterproof.  Works awesome, can hear it fine up to and including freeway speeds.   No time now but I'll get pictures up soon, they're around here somewhere.

Offline zsiska

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2011, 12:24:09 PM »
Do you wear a full faced helmet?  Speaker location?  If I go with extrernal speakers, I think I'll go with this system.  But no weather band :(.

http://www.jensenmarinedirect.com/jensen-waterproof-am-fm-ipod-sirius-satellite-radio-ready-stereo.html

I used to wear a full face.  When I had the speakers on the Concours, I mounted them where the mirrors would screw in on the bars.  Kind of ugly, but I got a good sound from them.   

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2011, 02:24:22 PM »
This is the waterproof 100w gooddeals18 stereo that sells for about $55.  Its been 3 years and still going strong.  I used 2 hatchet wedges I got at a flea market to put under each speaker to point them more at me.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington