Author Topic: Thick Grips  (Read 7665 times)

Offline zsiska

• Arena
Thick Grips
« on: September 02, 2011, 05:00:30 AM »
I am in need of some extra thick grips.  I have tried a few different grips and presently have grip puppies on.  I have pretty large hands and they get cramped with thin grips.  To give you an idea of the size of my hands, I can wrap my hand around a soda can and my thumb overlaps all but my pinky finger.  May not seem big, but try putting your hand around a can and see how they compare.  I have some on my Vstar that are pretty comfy, but I don't think they have them to fit the Concours.  These are them.   http://www.newspeedmaster.com/html/iso_grips.html

So any ideas from big handed people would be great.

Thanks

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
Re: Thick Grips
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2011, 02:31:04 PM »
MFI has those black foamies that cost maybe $20.  They are way larger that stock.  I used to put those on my Silverwing.  You can cut the end off and still use your bar end weights.  MFI is having a sale this weekend - 20% off everything even special orders.

The Myrtle Beach Walmart stocks these too.  Up for a ride?
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline Walker18

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2011, 04:11:00 PM »
These should do the job, I have these and hand cramps are gone..My glove size is 2xl to 3xl.  Don't know where they can be had, but worth the search..
I sliced off the end caps to accommodate the Throttlemeisters.

Sunline Grand Touring Grips

http://www.amazon.com/Sunline-Grand-Touring-Grips-Black/dp/B001D23CD6
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/4/68/16201/ITEM/Sunline-Grand-Touring-Grips.aspx

COG#8443                                                  
AMA# 1088783
2012 C-14  'Rudy'

Offline toojeep4u

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2011, 09:02:44 AM »
I can wrap my hand around a soda can and my thumb overlaps all but my pinky finger. 

:yikes:
Tori '01

Offline F-106

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2011, 10:02:43 AM »
I too have the same problem. I went to the bike master grips. 20 bucks in the 7/8 size. I went for the 150mm long one for more room. Wish I had a better photo.
IN THRUST WE TRUST

Offline DannyL

• PJF4x4
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2011, 11:33:52 AM »
I can wrap my hand around a soda can and my thumb overlaps all but my pinky finger
You have webs between your fingers by any chance?  ;D

Offline F-106

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2011, 04:24:27 PM »
Well maybe I do. Here you go
I too have the same problem. I went to the bike master grips. 20 bucks in the 7/8 size. I went for the 150mm long one for more room. Wish I had a better photo.

IN THRUST WE TRUST

Offline Furbo

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2011, 04:21:19 AM »
These should do the job, I have these and hand cramps are gone..My glove size is 2xl to 3xl.  Don't know where they can be had, but worth the search..
I sliced off the end caps to accommodate the Throttlemeisters.

Sunline Grand Touring Grips

http://www.amazon.com/Sunline-Grand-Touring-Grips-Black/dp/B001D23CD6
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/4/68/16201/ITEM/Sunline-Grand-Touring-Grips.aspx

Curse you!!! you got me all hopeful that there was finally a source for my favorite grip - but nope - out of production it seems!
05 C-10
Eccl: 9: 7-10

Offline Leo

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2011, 05:49:33 AM »
I put Harley Davidson sized replacement foam grips OVER the usual grips.  They last a couple years, but are pretty cheap.  I just use the foam, I throw away the chrome pieces.  I also used gel palm gloves that make everything feel thicker.  Between the two I think it will work for you.  Good Luck
Yep, still riding the old one

In Indiana, missing Texas

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2011, 06:49:09 AM »
I also used gel palm gloves that make everything feel thicker.

Yeah, I'm not going to touch that comment.

Where do I get gloves that make everything feel longer?    :rotflmao:
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline Leo

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2011, 04:35:29 PM »
Jon, thanks for being a gentleman.  I didn't see that one until you pointed it out.   
Yep, still riding the old one

In Indiana, missing Texas

Offline pat8228

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2011, 09:30:30 AM »
I have the same grips that F-106 has, but I took off the end caps and did some trimming so I could use my handlebar weights.

Offline COGnosticat0r

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2011, 10:40:06 AM »
I have ordered some grip buddies (not puppies) these are made by a guy in the BMW group and I saw them at the Finger Lakes Rally.

He makes two styles, they are neoprene, both let your heated grips keep your hands warm.

When I get them in, I will post up some pictures.  They wrap around your grips and velcro together.
Jerry Holland
COG 4478
2013 C14
"Man, you were haulin' ass the other day when I passed you"

Offline bowtie39

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2011, 03:49:33 PM »
zsiska,

first connie owned i used tennis racket wrap to get the bulk.  you have a choice of colors.  should come with a wide and small rubber band to secure the end.  with practice you can perfect a pattern to suit yourself before the final wrap.  available at a multitude of places.  btw--you purchased the jensen from me.

roger
'16 Moondust Gray....gone  2001....the keeper

Offline zsiska

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2011, 03:58:20 PM »
zsiska,

first connie owned i used tennis racket wrap to get the bulk.  you have a choice of colors.  should come with a wide and small rubber band to secure the end.  with practice you can perfect a pattern to suit yourself before the final wrap.  available at a multitude of places.  btw--you purchased the jensen from me.

roger

Thanks for the grip tip. 

The Jensen is wonderful.  I have ridden through several rain storms that I could barely even see the road and it never failed.  One of the best things I have I have added. 

Offline zsiska

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2011, 03:28:00 PM »
Ok so I tried several different grips at several dealerships.  Didn't want to order blindly and get stuck with some that wouldn't work.  So I went to Walmart and bought 2 packages of Wilson tennis grip tape.  Wrapped them both around and I am getting close.  I think one more package will do it.  That is just for the throttle side.  For anyone wanting a cheap way to thicken their grips, I would suggest it.  If you pull it tight while wrapping it and get your lines right, you can barely tell it is grip tape.  I also bought the smooth kind rather than the perforated.   And in the end (not counting the grip puppies I already had on there) it will cost me a total of about $10.

Offline bowtie39

« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2011, 10:22:43 PM »
Zak,

Sum beach,  you do like em bulky.  I think I only used one tape per side!   Glad to hear you may have found a solution. 

Roger
'16 Moondust Gray....gone  2001....the keeper