Author Topic: Lost FOB, KIPASS replacement cost?  (Read 14812 times)

Offline MrPepsi

Re: Lost FOB, KIPASS replacement cost?
« Reply #60 on: September 10, 2019, 05:10:13 PM »
That's funny.....

yeah yeah, guilty as well sometimes.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #61 on: September 10, 2019, 05:14:58 PM »
yeah yeah, guilty as well sometimes.
:chugbeer:

Offline Conrad

« Reply #62 on: September 11, 2019, 06:21:16 AM »
It seems every thread nowadays degrades into someone calling someone else names and people storming off all pissed off. Why can't we all just have civilized conversations anymore?

Who cares if they understand YOUR point of view, they have their own, and they're entitled to it too.
You can only inform them to a point. If they don't absorb the info, you really don't need to tell them 15 more times.

I assume that you're talking about me? I didn't call anyone names. I just repeated what MOB said and agreed with him. Oh wait, should I have used z's instead of s's?   ;)
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #63 on: September 11, 2019, 07:24:18 AM »
That's funny.....

I'm keeping an eye on both you and C.  Troublemakers to the core you are.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #64 on: September 11, 2019, 10:09:10 AM »
I assume that you're talking about me? I didn't call anyone names. I just repeated what MOB said and agreed with him. Oh wait, should I have used z's instead of s's?   ;)

Actually I didn't have anyone in mind, just seems some of these threads get everyone heated nowadays.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #65 on: September 11, 2019, 11:42:17 AM »
Totally agree with your initial assessment, Mr. Pepsi.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 01:45:52 PM by VirginiaJim »
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #66 on: September 11, 2019, 04:07:13 PM »
It's all good, Jim.  Mr Pepsi is correct in that folks seem to choose to be offended more easily and more often these days. Makes for a lot of low hanging fruit.  8)

Offline Conrad

« Reply #67 on: September 12, 2019, 06:40:29 AM »

I'm keeping an eye on both you and C.  Troublemakers to the core you are.

Your good eye?

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline strum

« Reply #68 on: September 12, 2019, 08:27:46 AM »
 This was a very good informational post. It doesn't solve all the KIPASS issues but it does provide a work around that is a viable solution.
 Thanks for the Info Chile62 . 
 And more importantly
 Thank you for your service.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #69 on: September 12, 2019, 11:30:34 AM »

Offline Conrad

« Reply #70 on: September 13, 2019, 06:27:12 AM »
 :)

Offline Wizzdome

« Reply #71 on: September 13, 2019, 09:11:43 AM »
It is funny to read about the replacement key not waterproofing the the ignition... cause most people just leave their bikes out in the rain to rot with no cover...sheesh if you take care of your bike you wont have to worry about water in your ignition... riding in the rain with the key in it is not gonna fill it up with rain water... leaving it uncovered in the rain with the key out of it might though and well that just goes to the point I said take care of your bike.  Okay past my little rant.... this info would have been pretty usefull before my nephew started to tear the bike apart trying to bypass the security on a bike  that he owns but cant operate with a lost fob. Anti theft is great but not everyone  wants or needs it.... but for  those who do the price is extreme. Hell I think you could put a regular car alarm on a bike cheaper. The part is so expensive because it is not kawasaki.... it is Mitsubishi.... however the programming is  Kawasaki and this is where the cost goes up... come on kawasaki how hard would it be to have say a finger print scanner where the ignition  switch is and use your thumb to start the bike without the need for a key at all... security achieved keyless system achieved... never being stranded due to a lost fob... unless you lose your finger... now have all this registered  through dealership and maintain it on file for backup, recovery, and in the event of resale so it can be programmed to fit a new owner. Just a though on how to provide a reliable feature on a bike where as the current one should be recalled and refund people who had to buy a new fob or new ecu or ignition due to your poor lack of seeing what harm could become of the use of this type of system. If I ride out to the mountains... lost fob and died in the cold due to kipass there would be a serious lawsuit. Not saying it is bad just saying it is not 100% safe... and pointing out that kawasaki can do better and I hope they do.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #72 on: September 13, 2019, 09:49:33 AM »
If I ride out to the mountains... lost fob and died in the cold due to kipass there would be a serious lawsuit.

I'm not saying your other points aren't valid, but I grow weary of people that talk about suing some big corporations in a macho way thinking that the corporations are trembling in fear of their postmortem litigation. It will be difficult to find a decent lawyer that will take the case and it will be difficult to win once the jury knows that YOU decided to go riding in the cold, and YOU decided to ride in the mountains, and YOU lost the fob.

Offline PH14

« Reply #73 on: September 13, 2019, 10:49:45 AM »
It is funny to read about the replacement key not waterproofing the the ignition... cause most people just leave their bikes out in the rain to rot with no cover...sheesh if you take care of your bike you wont have to worry about water in your ignition... riding in the rain with the key in it is not gonna fill it up with rain water... leaving it uncovered in the rain with the key out of it might though and well that just goes to the point I said take care of your bike. 

Do you own a Concours? Just wondering, because its, "ignition," is not like other bikes. It isn't the key hole that is subject to water getting in, it is the openings around it that can get water in if the stove key is not in, which can cause issues with the mechanism that releases the lock when you depress the stove key. The stove key was designed to remain in the ignition, and made to cover it and prevent water intrusion. If that mechanism gets stuck, nothing will happen when you press the stove key down, and you will be stranded, unless you can find a good KROCK somewhere near.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #74 on: September 13, 2019, 11:41:04 AM »
Or Maxwell's silver hammer and the Little Book of Essential English Swear Words by Stewart Ferris. 

Offline Freddy

The best substitute for brains is .............what?

Offline YHSublime

« Reply #76 on: December 01, 2020, 04:57:56 PM »
I'm done with this convo, and actually done giving reliable, accurate, and concise helpful assistance anymore

Well, I hope this is not still the case, as you were extremely helpful in getting my kawi back up and running, even though I did have to bend over.

I'm a firm believer in following up so other people can sort through the jib and jab and figure out what they need to do!

With the explanation Man Of Blues gave me, I was able to explain to a shop what needed to be done. They charged me a fair price for a new ECU and FOB to program it to, the work was quick, and all in all I should have been out at about $900.

But then I started the bike up, luckily still at the shop, and it stalled out. Despite being inactive for so long, it was covered the whole time, but water still got into the gas tank, so they had to clean the carb and pistons, and then I asked them to just do an oil change while they were at it. Then the back tire had tire rot, so I got that replaced as well. It's worth more running and functional than rotting with the wheel lock on like it was prior, so all in all, great news!

I've since moved states, and with Covid have had a heck of a time getting it registered, so I pull it out of my garage every couple of days, bring it to the end of my drive way and run it for 10 minutes or so. Every now and then I quickly whip it around the block. This poor motorcycle has seen less than a mile of riding in 2.5 years  :'(
2013 kawasaki concours 14

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #77 on: December 01, 2020, 05:30:02 PM »
I'm a firm believer in following up so other people can sort through the jib and jab and figure out what they need to do!

I am, too.  Thanks

Despite being inactive for so long, it was covered the whole time, but water still got into the gas tank

That is odd.  The gas tank is sealed pretty damn well, typically.  I would not expect water to get into it, especially not when covered, too.

so they had to clean the carb and pistons

Carb?
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline YHSublime

« Reply #78 on: December 01, 2020, 07:36:15 PM »
That is odd.  The gas tank is sealed pretty damn well, typically.  I would not expect water to get into it, especially not when covered, too.

Two parts here that might make more sense, I got sick of having my key constantly getting stuck in the lock on the tank, soooo I replaced it with an aftermarket.
By covered, I mean I had a motorcycle cover on it, but it wasn't under a canopy or garage roof.

Carb?

carburetor
2013 kawasaki concours 14

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #79 on: December 01, 2020, 08:30:01 PM »
Two parts here that might make more sense, I got sick of having my key constantly getting stuck in the lock on the tank, soooo I replaced it with an aftermarket.
By covered, I mean I had a motorcycle cover on it, but it wasn't under a canopy or garage roof.

OK, that makes sense- it could be the aftermarket one just doesn't seal correctly.  And yes, I can ABSOLUTELY relate to the key problem.  I have to take that damn cap apart every year and clean and lube it again.  I have nearly broken a key in it more than once when it starts to become impossible to operate.  Ug.

carburetor

I kinda knew what you meant.... I just think you are going to have to look for a very, very, very long time to find a carburetor on a C14.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc