Author Topic: What are your vacation (read: bike riding) plans this summer?  (Read 13824 times)

Offline RIP50AK

Re: What are your vacation (read: bike riding) plans this summer?
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2015, 07:17:22 PM »
Riding from home outside Anchorage Alaska to Bellingham with Brother-in-Law. Son meeting me there and we are traveling through Washington, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, and Utah before heading back to Bellingham. Solo back home in Alaska.

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2015, 07:56:52 PM »
Riding from home outside Anchorage Alaska to Bellingham with Brother-in-Law. Son meeting me there and we are traveling through Washington, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, and Utah before heading back to Bellingham. Solo back home in Alaska.
Sounds like a little bit more than a long weekend, huh? :thumbs:
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2015, 08:09:41 PM »

Wow,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Ride safe, Ted

Offline RIP50AK

« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2015, 06:45:30 PM »
Sounds like a little bit more than a long weekend, huh? :thumbs:

Allowing 5 weeks. I will be leaving one bike, probably the Concours in Bellingham so I can do some solo touring over the next few years. Decided to give the new KTM 1290 Super Adventure a try. Just hope it gets here before I plan on leaving for the trip end of May.

Offline atilla457

« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2015, 02:07:30 PM »
Planning to ride from San Francisco to Sturgis and back, in the first week of august.  sturgis is in bucket list, so I'll see it for a few days and back.  Other than that, just day or overnight rides for me this year.
2009 Concours 14 ABS - Black

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2015, 08:26:02 PM »
Leaving in a couple of weeks after a wedding in Ohio & heading down to stay at Ironhorse for a few days of riding. Looks like we'll be running south on 75 to Knoxville then picking up 129 to IronHorse. I need the help of some locals to find a better (meaning not on the Dragon on a Sunday afternoon) way to get there if possible. I'll have 1 bike on the truck & pulling another behind. Thanks in advance with any help you can give me.

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2015, 08:12:12 AM »
Too hot this summer.  Waiting for fall weather before any trips can be made.  99% humidity with heat index of 105 means the body can't cool from evaporation.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2015, 02:00:01 PM »
Judy and I (retired last year) are planning to attend the COG National in Cortez.
(We vacation at the National almost every year, and then see what is nearby to use it as a "side trip" on our way home.)
Haven't decided on our side trip yet.

If all goes as planned; After we return from Cortez (and rest), we're planning to fly to Germany to ride with this years "Over the Pond Traveler".
While there we'll meet the Past (GCE) "OtP "Travelers in Germany etc and stay with a few.

Ride safe, Ted

Departing home (Houston) Wednesday to meet Al and Charlie in Frankfurt Germany.

Ride safe, Ted

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2015, 10:49:36 AM »
Just finished a week of riding the Colorado Rockies with my son and 2 of my brothers. No new roads, I think I've ridden every paved mountain road in Colorado but did find a few new breweries. Unfortunately I wasn't on my C14 but my old 97 Valkyrie borrowed from my son-in-law. Had a blast except for 20 minutes in Wolf Creek Pass riding on hail covered roads going down hill. Couldn't stop, just had to make sure we didn't slow down, speed up or any turn other than the turn of the road. All four made it down without misshap. Luckily there was a nice brew pub restaurant in Pagosa Springs called Riff Raff Brewing to sooth our nerves. I'd add some pic but no Concours and mostly just the four of us at various brew pubs. Nice vacation!

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2015, 01:08:23 PM »
Heading to the Smokies this Sunday.

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2015, 03:22:20 PM »
Heading to Nova Scotia next month to ride and see my new grandson..  ;D
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2015, 09:11:27 PM »
This thread implies we don't vacation year round? Is that that due to weather or such?
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

sailor_chic

« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2015, 05:14:56 PM »
Plans are in the works for a Lil trip to California in October.

Offline KevinRLi

• I avoid normal people.
« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2015, 04:30:37 PM »
All my trips are pretty much over...

Did a full family trip in the cage the last week of June into July. 9 days. PA to Cedar Point Ohio to 5 days in Ottawa.

The following Wednesday I took my son up to Montreal for a Video Game tournament. Met up with Rich (SailorRich) for a day of riding up there while Jr watched the tournament. Great city, great people and great food!

Got back Sunday night and the following Friday the Mrs and I along with a few friends went up to NH on the bikes. Stayed at the same place the fall rally was at last year. Right in the middle of everything and inexpensive.

Next trip will be this years fall rally in Lake George. Seriously thinking of getting up to Montreal that Saturday for lunch. Once you've had Poutine it kind of gets in your blood. You must have cheesy gravy fries!!!

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2015, 05:14:15 PM »
Just got back from 3 days in N.C. Had the obligatory ride on the Dragon (x3), Cherohala Highway, Blue Ridge Parkway & Wheels Through Time in Maggie Valley. Stayed at Iron Horse and enjoyed it all with my younger brother. His first time, my third. And before this attended his daughter's wedding in Ohio.

WHEW!! :banana :banana :banana :banana :banana

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2015, 05:37:29 PM »
Plans are in the works for a Lil trip to California in October.

Nice! And hopefully with a detour to rail and torture the bike in the twisties through the Rockies  ;D
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

sailor_chic

« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2015, 06:15:32 AM »
Nice! And hopefully with a detour to rail and torture the bike in the twisties through the Rockies  ;D

Any suggestions Steve? I am going to ride out to San Diego then up to San Fran. From there I was going to go by Hoover dam. Then...

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2015, 07:29:10 AM »
Any suggestions Steve? I am going to ride out to San Diego then up to San Fran. From there I was going to go by Hoover dam. Then...

The rockies in Oct can be fantastic but can also be snow and ice in the high country when you least expect it. In fact just a few weeks ago in the middle of July had about 20 minutes of terror through Wolf Creek pass with ice.

Offline rhhall

• Arena
  • I'm your huckleberry
« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2015, 04:27:31 PM »
Natchez Trace in October
rick
08 Connie ABS(totaled)
14 Connie