Author Topic: 2011 - C14 "dethroned" and BMW 1600GT steps in its place  (Read 20922 times)

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
Re: 2011 - C14 "dethroned" and BMW 1600GT steps in its place
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2011, 11:51:40 AM »
Misleading title to this thread IMHO. Comparing a $25K w/ options bike to one that costs $10K less (and can be purchased for thousands less than SRP) is equivalent to saying that a Kobe beef steak is better than a baloney sandwich.

Well duh.

If the Concours didn't exist, few if any of us would be at the BMW dealer placing orders. I can't afford one and even if I could, not so sure I'd want one. No BMW dealer anyplace close by and even if there was, their required maintenance schedule is a major put-off to me.

Any comparison that ignores price is inherently worthless.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2011, 12:14:28 PM »
Misleading title to this thread IMHO. Comparing a $25K w/ options bike to one that costs $10K less (and can be purchased for thousands less than SRP) is equivalent to saying that a Kobe beef steak is better than a baloney sandwich.

Well duh.

If the Concours didn't exist, few if any of us would be at the BMW dealer placing orders. I can't afford one and even if I could, not so sure I'd want one. No BMW dealer anyplace close by and even if there was, their required maintenance schedule is a major put-off to me.

Any comparison that ignores price is inherently worthless.

I like baloney...  :P

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2011, 12:53:33 PM »
The only thing it has that I wish my C14 had is cruise control.

That can be fixed for $240 and about 6 hours of work.

http://www.murphskits.com/catalog/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=64&products_id=369

Offline spd2918

• Stay off the paint, boys.
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2011, 01:02:09 PM »
Best bike lists are for idiots.  Can anyone here say they ever bought a bike because some douche magazine staffer said it was the best?

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2011, 01:10:11 PM »
Best bike lists are for idiots.  Can anyone here say they ever bought a bike because some douche magazine staffer said it was the best?

Nope, I choose my bikes by playing rock, paper, scissors with my kids.  If paper could cover scissors I would be riding a Sportster 883, thank God that didn't happen.   ;D
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline rcannon409

« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2011, 04:53:12 PM »
I hope that any of the major companies could design a new bike that would be better than something they were aiming at. If not, something would be wrong.  I dont quite understand the need for a 6 cylinder anymore than I did when the original Honda cbx was released. 

Offline IRULE

• How sweet it is...
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2011, 05:52:57 PM »

Great point!  If money was no objects, i will have from scooters to can-am.  I don't give a hola hoop to what it is.
2009 Black Kawasaki Concours 14
2009 Red Buell 1125CR
1978 Triumph Bonneville

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2011, 07:16:10 AM »
Well, maybe a $h1t <metric> ton. The term ton is an English standard measurement based on pounds.  ;D

But I am sure that if you went to a foreign country and slipped a credit card across the counter while pointing to a K1600GT, the person on the other side would quickly do the calculation for you. At no additional charge....  ;)

Brian

What would that be in the metric world..................... a $h1t ton?
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2011, 09:59:22 AM »
Nope, I choose my bikes by playing rock, paper, scissors with my kids.  If paper could cover scissors I would be riding a Sportster 883, thank God that didn't happen.   ;D

Glad it aint just me! ;)
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline Two Skies

• Arena
  • Road? What road?!?
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2011, 07:46:41 AM »
I was talking to a fellow rider last week.  He was telling me that some of the new BMW bikes are having fuel sensor issues.  The guys in the cooler climes aren't seeing the issue, but down south (Florida, etc.) the high heat along with the high humidity are wreaking havoc with the EFI computers, so a lot of bikes are needing to go into the shop.  From what he told me, the sensor/programming that is causing the issue doesn't have a good fix yet.

Doing a quick google search turned up this thread:
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62685

I don't know if the newest bikes have this issue.

So it sounds like there is a workaround.  Still, you'd expect better from the BMW engineers, unless of course their goal is to keep the BMW bike shops busy...

2006 w/50,000+ miles and a few bruises.

MCL Fork Brace & Handlebar Risers.  Bergmen Quick Release Tank Kit, Pilot GT Front/Avon Venom Rear tire.  Trunk w/spoiler.  NGK DR8EIX plugs.  Piece of foam in airbox.  Beads on seat.  Bafflectomized.  Murphs Kneesavers & Fuse Block.  Cee Bailey Winscreen w/vent.  Heated grips.  'Custom' mirrors.

Offline Two Skies

• Arena
  • Road? What road?!?
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2011, 07:55:56 AM »
Had the new 1000 been out, I may be riding one over the C14. Matter of fact, hard not to buy one now! My friend at kawasaki says it accomdates the same panniers as the Versys.

I rode one of these at a Kawasaki Ticket To Ride event.  While it is a torque monster (I REALLY enjoyed the amount of torque available throughout it's power band), it has some issues.  Namely, that since it is so light, bumps and rough roads tend to be a bigger issue than on the C14 or C10, they telegraph right through the suspension to the rider.  Also, it has virtually no wind protection, so you will get soaked in the rain.  Finally, it felt like riding a 10 speed upright, and I felt like that rider position would be fatiguing on longer rides.   The C-10/C-14 riding position is much more comfortable IMHO.
2006 w/50,000+ miles and a few bruises.

MCL Fork Brace & Handlebar Risers.  Bergmen Quick Release Tank Kit, Pilot GT Front/Avon Venom Rear tire.  Trunk w/spoiler.  NGK DR8EIX plugs.  Piece of foam in airbox.  Beads on seat.  Bafflectomized.  Murphs Kneesavers & Fuse Block.  Cee Bailey Winscreen w/vent.  Heated grips.  'Custom' mirrors.

Offline jester

« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2011, 08:28:18 PM »
My GT makes for a great ride on the road to He11...Michigan that is. It's the ride, not the destination!

Jester
Canton, MI USA
2012 BMW K 1600 GT (from 8/6/2011)
2008 Kaw C14 ABS (traded, 32K great miles)