Author Topic: What are you watching?  (Read 303377 times)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Re: What are you watching?
« Reply #1240 on: April 21, 2018, 09:33:35 AM »
That is like the old Gilligan's Island question: why is it that the professor is smart enough to build a radio using coconuts but he cannot fix a hole in a boat?

You might be over- thinking this one a tad Conrad.....

;D

Brian

Lost In Space

Anyone wonder why, on such high tech and futuristic ships, they're using old CB radio mics for coms? What, no blutooth of wireless in the future?  ;)

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Online maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #1241 on: April 21, 2018, 10:42:18 AM »
Lost In Space

Anyone wonder why, on such high tech and futuristic ships, they're using old CB radio mics for coms? What, no blutooth of wireless in the future?  ;)

Well, like I said, there were a whole lot of science flaws....  You just have to "suspend disbelief".
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #1242 on: April 26, 2018, 05:25:17 PM »
Watched a bunch of movies. Mostly negative opinions. :-(

Snowman: OK but kind of lackluster. 2.5 out of 5 at best.
Suburbicon: Sucks. Terrible movie.
Wind River: not bad, maybe a 3.5 out of 5. It has the added attraction of having Graham Greene in the supporting cast; no one knows his name but everyone knows his face (Die Hard 2, The Green Mile, etc., etc.).
You were never really here. Sucks. Worse than Suburbicon. I would give it a -1 out of 5. Seriously. Now I fully admit that I absolutely missed the point and plot of this movie, assuming it had either one. As an extra- bad tasting icing, it starred the ever- weird Joaquin Phoenix being even more weird than usual. Seriously.
Only the Brave. Fair but way, way too long. They managed to 'cram' 30 minutes worth of movie into over 2 hours. I thought it ended twice..... before it really ended. Not a bad movie, just that it missed any emotional chord and had marginal substance.

Collateral Beauty: Good movie, great in places. 4 out of 5 easy, a little more for the sentimental among us. This movie has one of the best plot twists ever, easily better than The Sixth Sense IMO. Will Smith is simply outstanding, as is the rest of both the main as well as the supporting cast members. This movie has an all- star cast and all did very well but my personal favorite is really a somewhat secondary character, Michael Peña. And as always, Kate Winslet does a simply outstanding American dialect. This movie is very loosely based on Dickens's 'A Christmas Carol' but honestly, that is NOT the important twist at all; the real twist is not supernatural at all. If viewed from the point of Will Smith's character and all else taken as support work (it is not written that way), then I would give it a 5.1 out of 5.

Off to watch both LBJ and Winchester with minimal hopes, though perhaps Woody Harrelson can pull of the role of LBJ.

Really, I love good video (movies, tv series) and try to like most things but the fact is that the majority of time is spent with sub- standard video with only the occasional shining spot buried in the debris.

Brian
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Online maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #1243 on: April 26, 2018, 08:54:36 PM »
The only one I know of those is "Collateral Beauty" and it was quite good; I rated it 4 out of 5.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #1244 on: April 27, 2018, 06:16:17 AM »
I liked Wind River. Truly based on a story. ;D I've ridden through that area once or twice in Wyoming. I liked how Jeremy Renner's character resolved the issue. Yes Graham Greene does a great job as always. And a few others from Dances With Wolves.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #1245 on: April 29, 2018, 06:55:50 AM »
Watched a movie that I've wanted to see for a while.    :popcorn:

Life.

:o

Alien life form from Mars gets aboard the ISS and then threatens life on Earth. Sounds good, previews looked good, got decent ratings.

This is one of the worst space movies that I've ever seen!    :pukeface:

Spoiler alert.

Super intelligent killer starfish from Mars vs. the worlds dumbest scientists/astronauts.

Don't bother, the starfish wins.  ::)
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Online maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #1246 on: April 29, 2018, 07:38:10 AM »
Life.This is one of the worst space movies that I've ever seen!    :pukeface:

I enjoyed it not as a SciFi but as a thriller.  That is the problem- there has been very little ACTUAL science fiction for many years now- it is all "Sci Action" or "Sci Thriller", where science takes a far back-seat to the action.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #1247 on: April 29, 2018, 07:55:11 AM »
I enjoyed it not as a SciFi but as a thriller.  That is the problem- there has been very little ACTUAL science fiction for many years now- it is all "Sci Action" or "Sci Thriller", where science takes a far back-seat to the action.

You didn't have any problems with the EXTREMELY stupid mistakes performed by the crew (that in the end will extinguish all life on Earth)? Or how the starfish was able to get back into the ISS once it was out in space? I don't mean to nit pick and I am certainly able to suspend my disbelief normally, but...

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Online maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #1248 on: April 29, 2018, 08:44:23 AM »
You didn't have any problems with the EXTREMELY stupid mistakes performed by the crew (that in the end will extinguish all life on Earth)? Or how the starfish was able to get back into the ISS once it was out in space? I don't mean to nit pick and I am certainly able to suspend my disbelief normally, but...

Oh yes, I had lots of problems with those and other issues.  I just wrote it all off and tried to think of it as just a thriller :)  Even as such, it was still only a C+.  As a sci-fi it was more like a D.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #1249 on: April 29, 2018, 10:33:42 AM »
Sneaky Pete Season 2; Bosch Season 4; The Expanse Season 3; McMafia

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #1250 on: April 29, 2018, 11:28:32 AM »
Sneaky pete season 2 was not as good as 1 unfortunately.
Too many moving parts, too much Oceans 11.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #1251 on: May 02, 2018, 04:23:57 AM »
Justified on Amazon Prime, Westworld season 2.  JDM on Velocity.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #1252 on: May 02, 2018, 08:13:11 AM »
Watched a movie that I've wanted to see for a while.    :popcorn:

Life.

:o

Alien life form from Mars gets aboard the ISS and then threatens life on Earth. Sounds good, previews looked good, got decent ratings.

This is one of the worst space movies that I've ever seen!    :pukeface:

Spoiler alert.

Super intelligent killer starfish from Mars vs. the worlds dumbest scientists/astronauts.

Don't bother, the starfish wins.  ::)

Thanks for the review C. I was also interested in that movie but will now take a pass.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #1253 on: May 02, 2018, 08:14:19 AM »
Sneaky Pete Season 2; Bosch Season 4; The Expanse Season 3; McMafia

Just started Bosch Season 4. Good old fashion detective who-done-it show.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #1254 on: May 03, 2018, 04:11:21 AM »
Older show on HBO that we've never watched, The Wire. Damn! That's good TV!

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #1255 on: May 03, 2018, 09:22:47 AM »
Older show on HBO that we've never watched, The Wire. Damn! That's good TV!

When I renew my HBO account when GOT season 8 is released, I'll have to check out this show as well. Has Lance Reddick in it whom I enjoyed in The Fringe as well as Bosch.

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #1256 on: May 03, 2018, 09:42:27 AM »
BBC has a new show airing called Killing Eve that is my new favorite for this year.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline Conrad

« Reply #1257 on: May 04, 2018, 04:07:36 AM »
When I renew my HBO account when GOT season 8 is released, I'll have to check out this show as well. Has Lance Reddick in it whom I enjoyed in The Fringe as well as Bosch.

You really need to watch The Wire. It's the most realistic crime show that I've ever seen.

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #1258 on: May 07, 2018, 07:20:40 AM »
Just started on another Netflix reboot, The new legends of Monkey.

Made by the Aussies it seems to have just the right blend of campiness, cheese and humour  😁
--
space reserved for humourous sig file

Offline Conrad

« Reply #1259 on: June 07, 2018, 04:13:51 AM »
Handmaid's Tale on Hulu.

Now that's good TV!!!

We just started season 2.