Author Topic: Lost FOB, KIPASS replacement cost?  (Read 14957 times)

Offline YHSublime

Re: Lost FOB, KIPASS replacement cost?
« Reply #80 on: December 01, 2020, 09:42:59 PM »
OK, that makes sense- it could be the aftermarket one just doesn't seal correctly.  And yes, I can ABSOLUTELY relate to the key problem.  I have to take that damn cap apart every year and clean and lube it again.  I have nearly broken a key in it more than once when it starts to become impossible to operate.  Ug.

More than likely, I have a garage now, which is perfect. I replaced it after my key DID get stuck in there, it was just way more hassle than it was worth, little did I know the kind of hassle I was going to have to endure in the not so distant future!

I kinda knew what you meant.... I just think you are going to have to look for a very, very, very long time to find a carburetor on a C14.

At this stage you can ask me anything about the kipass system, but obviously I'm talking out of my ass past that, lol. There was water in the gas tank, it cost me lots of money.

I didn't tell you about the carburetor I keep in the left locking container?! Now that it's cleaned I'll probably put it up FS ;)
2013 kawasaki concours 14

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #81 on: December 02, 2020, 05:11:46 AM »
I didn't tell you about the carburetor I keep in the left locking container?! Now that it's cleaned I'll probably put it up FS ;)

LOL!
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Freddy

« Reply #82 on: December 02, 2020, 03:53:23 PM »
We very recently had a member here in Australia who lost his only fob and was quoted the Kaw high prices for new everything to get his bike going again.  However, he tracked down a locksmith, just like Chle62 did earlier in this topic.  The locksmith here in OZ did the same as Chile62 described his locksmith did in USA with the same result - bike starts.

Here's a link to the topic. 

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/gtr1000/lost-fob-t7996.html
The best substitute for brains is .............what?

Offline chile62

« Reply #83 on: April 10, 2021, 06:06:16 PM »
2 years later, my bike still starts and runs like it should.  Carmousa rocks!

Offline Freddy

« Reply #84 on: April 11, 2021, 02:49:41 AM »
Good to know chile.  Someone else on the other forum had to use their service recently.  Did you get a new fob?
The best substitute for brains is .............what?

Offline YHSublime

« Reply #85 on: July 27, 2021, 02:24:43 PM »
My motorcycle is now almost driven daily, shame about the not having a way to start it part :)

Next step is finding another saddle bag.

Offline speedracersworld

• 817-821-0448
    • Speedracersworld
« Reply #86 on: August 06, 2021, 11:49:58 PM »
https://youtu.be/XGA7CxnD4X8

Great info from Shoodaben Engineering on Kipass & Lost Key FOBs.
There's more to Life than the Mainstream Media or "Reality" TV! Question Everything!

2008 Atomic Silver C-14

Offline YHSublime

« Reply #87 on: October 14, 2021, 02:43:22 PM »

Yup, consider this the annual reminder: "Don't be like me, get copies made!"

BTW, I just came home from a ride and it was beautiful.

Offline jwh20

« Reply #88 on: October 14, 2021, 03:37:04 PM »

Well done video but he skipped over one very important item if you choose to purchase a "credit card" FOB and have your dealer do the programming with the KDS3.

When you program ANY Key Immobilizer FOB with KDS3, you must program ALL Key Immobilizers at the same time.  Any you don't pass across the steering lock will not work.  Most dealers don't know this.  This includes any KiPass FOBs because they also contain a Key Immobilizer function in them.  You want them all to work!

My tip: When you have this done verify ALL the Key Immobilizers before you leave the dealer.  When I do it for someone I personally test all of them to make sure they all work as expected.

Offline jdaugh

« Reply #89 on: February 20, 2023, 09:37:15 AM »
My similar dilemma can be seen here: http://zggtr.org/index.php?topic=25549.new#new

YHSublime, I'm considering going your route and doing it "right." Did you buy a new ECU yourself or go through the dealer? Same question for transponder. Did you end up with an active transponder and also a backup passive fob?

The other option is to use Carmo and end up with a "cobble job" which would probably be just fine... I just want to get an idea of the exact price difference.

Anyone else have new thoughts to share on this topic? I do have the transponder but it got run over and isn't working. Despite the circuit board looking just dandy (to the naked eye). Unfortunately, the little passive chip was not recovered : //

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #90 on: February 23, 2023, 06:46:01 AM »
I am parting out an 09 with a blown motor and have two active FOBs with the matching KIPASS ECU for sale. PM me if interested.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline jdaugh

« Reply #91 on: February 23, 2023, 07:12:34 AM »
Thank you, Lather. Can I switch ECU's myself? Or does that require a tech / KDS? I just have basic tools / skills.

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #92 on: February 23, 2023, 07:56:13 AM »
Thank you, Lather. Can I switch ECU's myself? Or does that require a tech / KDS? I just have basic tools / skills.
The KIPASS ECU simply slips into a rubber strap on my 09.

Your ign lock and DFI ECU would have to be registered to KIPASS by a dealer/friend with KDS.

Offline jdaugh

« Reply #93 on: February 23, 2023, 08:29:19 AM »
Thank you. Would you happen to know of anyone who might be able to get this transponder working? It was run over and the pieces scattered, but the circuit board appears undamaged to the naked eye.

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #94 on: February 23, 2023, 09:56:37 AM »
Thank you. Would you happen to know of anyone who might be able to get this transponder working? It was run over and the pieces scattered, but the circuit board appears undamaged to the naked eye.
I would contact Short Tronics.  https://short-tronics-inc.business.site/ The tech there has fixed a couple of my Garmin GPS units.

Offline jdaugh

« Reply #95 on: March 02, 2023, 03:51:44 PM »
Thank you, lather. Chris at short tronics is willing to try and move the chips from my circuit board to the circuit board of a new/used fob.
I think it's a gamble, but worth trying if I can get another functional condition fob for like $50. They're $350 new, but if I could find one missing the ID then it would be worth only as much as the passive key, which is $50, I think. Would you be willing to part with one of your fobs for that amount? (no pun intended)

If not, does anyone know where I might find a transponder fob in functional condition for that price? Probably missing its original ID. Partzilla website indicates 3 or 4 part numbers for c14's, and kawasaki's diagram for 2010 indicates that 21175-0296 is the right one. If there's a cheap transponder out there on its own, I wonder if one could even discern easily which year(s) it's for/the part number...

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #96 on: March 02, 2023, 04:01:01 PM »
I have a fob from my first 08 that was totaled in 2017. The engine was running and the fob working when the insurance company hauled it away.
You can have it for shipping cost. I am going to keep the two 09 fobs that are matched to the 09 KIPASS ECU for selling as a matched set.

Offline jdaugh

« Reply #97 on: March 02, 2023, 04:02:44 PM »
2 years later, my bike still starts and runs like it should.  Carmousa rocks!

Chile, I'm considering the CARMO route. I'm still unclear about how to remove the module they need from the ignition switch region.

Can anyone make sense of these directions? https://www.regulatorrectifier.com/catalog/2008-2012-kawasaki-concours-zg1400-gtr1400-lost-fobs-keys

Thank you

Offline jdaugh

« Reply #98 on: March 02, 2023, 04:03:37 PM »
lather, just saw your reply. That is generous of you! I will pm you.
THANK YOU

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #99 on: March 02, 2023, 04:05:26 PM »
lather, just saw your reply. That is generous of you! I will pm you.
THANK YOU
Glad to help