Author Topic: Can it be said that the Kawa gel seat sucks?  (Read 4216 times)

Offline katata1100

Can it be said that the Kawa gel seat sucks?
« on: August 10, 2011, 12:58:21 PM »
I don't have one, but have noticed that they seem to come up often on the for
sale board and there are always a few on ebay, much more so than any other brand

Offline Conrad

Re: Can it be said that the Kawa gel seat sucks?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 01:25:02 PM »
It could be said that some folks thinks the gel seat sucks. I for one don't think so. It's a very firm seat and I have a feeling that those who dislike that firmness don't have a very firm seat themselves.    ;)
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline PH14

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 01:28:09 PM »
I have never been a fan of gel seats of any kind. Gel is good for quelling vibration but I prefer a good quality foam for a seat.

Offline OPUS

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 01:37:50 PM »
15k on mine with several 750 mile days LOVE IT!

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 04:29:21 PM »
I don't have one, but have noticed that they seem to come up often on the for
sale board and there are always a few on ebay, much more so than any other brand

To answer your Subject, I think it can be said that ALL gel seats suck.  That is, of course, just my opinion.  They get INCREDIBLY hot or INCREDIBLY cold.  They are also pretty hard.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2011, 09:45:43 PM »
Hmm, I'm guessing you don't hear much from the ones that haven't sold theirs.

I put 12,500 miles on the stock 2010 seat before switching to the Kawi Low Gel seat  My only real motivation was to try a lower seat.

I put 3,500 miles on the Gel seat, all  the while thinking it was too hard, but it would "break in".  Finally after a long 3 day riding weekend, I couldn't take it anymore, and switched back to the stock seat I thought was just fine, only to find out after 4 more days of riding that it was now too soft to get comfortable on.  :banghead:

Now I'm back on the Gel, and it doesn't seem quite so bad, but I really think I'm stuck somewhere in between, wondering "What have I done??  I ruined a perfectly comfortable stock seat!!"  ???
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline rar

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2011, 02:14:45 PM »
I had my seat carved out to change the shape and gel put in.  For me it is more comfortable on a long ride but when it sits in the sun it absorbs and holds on to the heat.  I have not tried it in the cold yet. I would not recommend gel due to its holding heat on sunny days.  Way to hot!

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2011, 05:10:41 PM »
I do 1100 mile days on the stock seat with no problem.

bike is 17 months old >41,000 miles on it
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2011, 07:33:33 PM »

Wow.  That is about what I put on my last bike in 10 years.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Flathead

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2011, 11:50:23 PM »

Holy S#it, that's like 11 hours straight at 100 MPH!! Tougher a$$ than mine!  ;D

Joncon11

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2011, 06:41:08 AM »
My 2011 came with the lowered gel seat and the stock option seat. I have tried both and the I went with the gel seat, long days are no problem and as far as the heat and cold; if it's hot it's hot and if it's cold it's cold, the temp of the seat doesn't matter to me as I can't feel it through my riding pants anyway. The stock seat sits in my garage wrapped in plastic to this day.