Author Topic: Metzler Roadtec 01  (Read 4430 times)

Offline SW ROADRUNNER

Metzler Roadtec 01
« on: November 02, 2016, 03:59:51 PM »
Just finished scuffing in new Metzler Roadtec 01 HWM tires front and rear.  Eighty mile ride in 1.5 hours with sweepers and straight runs.  75 degree temp at start and 66 degree at finish.  Changed from Pirelli Angel GT Spec A after 10,000 plus miles, still had not hit wear bars but wanted to change so we could possibly get a trip in before Thanksgiving.  Was very happy with the Pirelli, good wear, excellent handling both dry and wet.  Rode same break in loop with both Pirelli and Metzler.  Pirelli seemed to drop int a corner and Metzler seem to flow into a corner, that could be the stiffer side wall, also Metzler seem a bit taller, not much just personal feel.  Grip in curves both tires excellent, straight line stability excellent, no high speed wobble at 120+.
So far very impressed with both tires not just have to put 10,000 more miles on the bike and see what happens.  Most riding is 2 up 90+ percent of the time.  Rider 225 kitted out passenger 150.  Traxxion in front forks Penskey rear shock.

Offline amphibsailor

• Just call me Cap'n Crunch, Ted.
Re: Metzler Roadtec 01
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2016, 05:01:11 AM »
Would you recommend the Roadtec over the Pirelli's at this point....  I've got a few thousand miles left on my PR4's and looking to get one or the other (Pirelli or Roadtec).  I'm set up the same as you with the AK20's up front and a Penske in the back.
09 Concours aka Cruncher: Corbin Canyon Dual Sport (Laam for longer trips, Corbin Modular with Smuggler for mid-length trips), Top Blocks, Penske 8983, Traxxion AK20s, Helibars Horizon ST bars w/Galfer SS +6 lines, MRA Vario Touring Windscreen/Madstad brackets (Copper Dawg on the way),  Area P full system, throttle tamer, Steve's Flash.

Offline SW ROADRUNNER

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2016, 09:18:06 AM »
At this moment with only 80 miles it would be a bit premature to recommend them.  I am very happy with them over the worn Pirelli's and believe they handle as well, possibly better but until I have a few miles with my wife as passenger I just can not say for certain.  Hope to have a few hundred more before Thanksgiving and will post then.  I also have the SISF full area P flash but have not installed them yet, traction was very good accelerating out of 60-70 mph sweepers but no true canyon curves yet.

Offline SW ROADRUNNER

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2016, 03:51:14 PM »
After only 188 miles my wife an I agree that the new Metzler might be our favorite tire.  Comfort, handling, braking and less noise.  it is like waltzing with your favorite partner or jitter bugging, both are fun, just one takes more attention and energy.  Two up on my scuff in loop any entrance, apex or exit at your choice of speed and the Metzler just goes smoothly about its business.  No shimmy or squirm in the wind, just easy riding.

Offline clogan

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2016, 09:16:17 AM »
I cannot even imagine 10,000 miles on a motorcycle tire...unless the bike happened to be rjnning a CT, LOL! Anything over 6-7,000 to me is unheard of, on any bike Ive ever had.

Im an old, retired geezer...a real slow poke rider...always near the last rided in on vroup outings. Maybe its the road surfaces around here?

I may try the Metzler next time around.
2010 Neptune blue C14
2009 blue KLR
2013 DRZ400

Offline Fairfax

• 2009 Concours 14 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2016, 11:41:59 AM »
I did 18000 miles on Michelin Pilot Road 2's on a lighter bike, a 2003 Triumph Sprint ST. Mostly highway riding at 80 mph on interstates. The front had at least 2-3k miles left. I have PR3's on my Concours 14 so I hope to get 8000-10000 miles (not easy based on what I read).

Offline SW ROADRUNNER

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2016, 02:39:03 PM »
I am a old retired geezer also, normally ride 2 up, I am 225 ready to ride wife is 150 ready to ride and we live in Arizona (it is a dry heat), speed limit freeway 75 most other roads 65.  Generally run speed limit + 10 or 20 depending on traffic road conditions and bears.  Longest trips taken San Diego and back solo 1,000 miles, Laughlin, NV. 850 miles 2 up + bags, Prescott, AZ 600 miles 2 up bags loaded.  Was very pleased with the Pirelli Angel GT spec A but really like the comfortable ride of the Metezler.  Since Pirelli and Metezler are both owned by ChinaChem a state run company an interested in how they last.  Both tires are HWM, rear made in Germany front in China.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2016, 10:34:26 AM »
I am a old retired geezer also, normally ride 2 up, I am 225 ready to ride wife is 150 ready to ride and we live in Arizona (it is a dry heat), speed limit freeway 75 most other roads 65.  Generally run speed limit + 10 or 20 depending on traffic road conditions and bears.  Longest trips taken San Diego and back solo 1,000 miles, Laughlin, NV. 850 miles 2 up + bags, Prescott, AZ 600 miles 2 up bags loaded.  Was very pleased with the Pirelli Angel GT spec A but really like the comfortable ride of the Metezler.  Since Pirelli and Metezler are both owned by ChinaChem CHEMCHINA a state run company an interested in how they last.  Both tires are HWM, rear made in Germany front in China.

FIFY  ;) ..two quite different companies.

Offline PlaynInPeoria

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2016, 05:37:37 PM »
I went through 3 sets of Pirelli Angel GTs this year. Last set was showing cords at the rear at 6873 miles.  I put another set on and went to Deals Gap. I freaking love these tires, they are the most confidence inspiring tire I have ever ridden. Unfortunately, I picked up a nail in the rear south north of Knoxville on the way home. A beef jerky plug got me home just fine.

3 minutes in is me running the Gap. I can't recall if I posted this video in here or not.  Shows a lot of smoke from the forest fires down there.  The music is one of my favorite artists, Joe Satriani, 4 partial songs by him on the video.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzWJ2_lxurvTVlU5X2dURDlLQVU/view?usp=sharing

2012 "root beer" C14 - unlinked brakes, reflash, LED headlights, Walmart orange city lights, LOUD horn, Laam seat, radar detector for ahem, reasons.
2013 Aprilia Tuono, 2009 CRF-150F

Offline PlaynInPeoria

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2016, 05:38:53 PM »
I did 18000 miles on Michelin Pilot Road 2's on a lighter bike, a 2003 Triumph Sprint ST. Mostly highway riding at 80 mph on interstates. The front had at least 2-3k miles left. I have PR3's on my Concours 14 so I hope to get 8000-10000 miles (not easy based on what I read).

If I got 6k out of PR2's I was happy. Not sure how you do that.  If you're happy, that's all that matters
2012 "root beer" C14 - unlinked brakes, reflash, LED headlights, Walmart orange city lights, LOUD horn, Laam seat, radar detector for ahem, reasons.
2013 Aprilia Tuono, 2009 CRF-150F

Offline Fairfax

• 2009 Concours 14 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2016, 09:01:59 PM »
If I got 6k out of PR2's I was happy. Not sure how you do that.  If you're happy, that's all that matters
I do not do anything different. I have destroyed tires in the past by leaving them under-inflated by just a few psi so now I meticulously keep them at factory recommended pressures and check them weekly. Riding is on the conservative side most of the time with early braking and smooth acceleration. At curves I let the bike to show me which speed it likes if you know what I mean. I do push the bike over its limits at curves and of course I get "chicken strips" eventually.