Author Topic: Mushy Downshift  (Read 3058 times)

Offline Tree

• 21 Year Submarine Veteran - GO NAVY!
Mushy Downshift
« on: November 06, 2016, 12:50:46 PM »
When I am shifting down (3-2, 2-1) I feel like there is extra travel in the lever.  The connections are all tight but I have to push down several times to get it to engage.  I know 2-1 goes through neutral so I expect a little extra travel but come on!  The gear position indication on the cluster seems to get lost too.  Can't tell if it's in Neutral, no green light and there is no position shown in the box.  I have a feeling that there is another adjustment that needs to be made in the connecting rod.  Could that be it?  If so, what's the procedure?  BTW it's an '08 if that helps.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Mushy Downshift
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2016, 02:38:47 PM »
Star spring?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Bob Skinner

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2016, 04:27:13 PM »
My 08 is the same way. With the neutral finder mechanicals between 2 and 1, I assumed this was normal.

Bob Skinner

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2016, 04:33:35 PM »
My 08 is the same way. With the neutral finder mechanicals between 2 and 1, I assumed this was normal.

It is pretty normal from 2 to 1, but he is describing a somewhat different issue.  I know what he is talking about, it happens to me, but very rarely (and often just because it is my fault for wearing super thick boots and just not doing it quite right).  In his case, the bike is coming up on 9 years old and we don't know how many miles or how it was ridden.  Something could just be wearing out a bit.  The Concours is very reliable and well built, but nothing lasts forever.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline BigAlan

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2016, 08:57:10 AM »
The gear change lever bit which bolts to the bike has a plastic sleeve inside and gets worn, over here in the uk we have a forum known as the GTR forum and Charlie has a solution, I have purchased it from him for me 2011 bike and it transforms the gearchange.

See

http://www.gtr1400.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=5654.0

Alan
2011 in Black

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2016, 11:19:41 AM »
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Tree

• 21 Year Submarine Veteran - GO NAVY!
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2016, 09:48:02 PM »
The gear change lever bit which bolts to the bike has a plastic sleeve inside and gets worn, over here in the uk we have a forum known as the GTR forum and Charlie has a solution, I have purchased it from him for me 2011 bike and it transforms the gearchange.

See

http://www.gtr1400.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=5654.0

Alan

I didn't set up a UK account so I can't view the info in your link.  Is it the same info as the one that Jim sent?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2016, 04:15:58 AM »
This isn't a very expensive mod so if you are interested then get it from Murph.  It's very similar to the UK mod and in fact came out way before the UK put their spin on it.

The answer to my question about it on the UK site comparing it to Murph's...

Yes except 2 bearings as one in the middle is not necessary and the bolt has a plane shank so that the inner race  will run parallel  not on the thread pitch.

Here's our write up of it when it came out and my review.

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=5001.0