Author Topic: ECU flashing now available  (Read 133691 times)

Offline Thunderlizard

Re: ECU flashing now available
« Reply #440 on: January 07, 2019, 02:31:57 PM »
I purposely waited till I got some mileage on my bike before making this change, because I wanted to be able to really discern the difference from stock tune to Steve's  Mountain Runner. Having said that, coming from my 900 lb Bagger/Cruiser (Yamaha Stratoliner), this bike made me feel like I lost my touch? Throttle response was so inconsistent and fuel cut was so drastic that I couldn't smooth it out unless I really feathered the clutch!
Having said that, I'm happy to say "I've joined the ranks" of those with Steve's Flash!  Steve spent considerable time discussing my riding style and expectations, as well as the theory behind his refinements and the evolution of his flash profiles. Having spent quite a bit of time 3D mapping the Power Commander on my Strat, I have, at least, some idea of what Steve does with his flash maps, but mine was barely entry level compared to what he does to make these awesome machines run their best!
Results?  Holy Smokes! I could not be more pleased!  Gone is the twitchy low-end throttle, jerky shifts, and flat spots. I feel like I know how to ride again!  Even low-speed maneuvers are easier (a common complaint on this bike) because throttle control is so much better. The bike actually feels "lighter" at low speeds. Shifting up or down is smooth as "butta", torque is stronger across the entire band. And yes, I am a gear higher now in most conditions.  In the turns, now I can focus on body position and line, instead of trying to keep the bike settled. Overall the bike runs smoother and sounds better (IMO). I haven't put a ton of miles on it yet, but from what I've experienced since getting the ECU back, it's the best $$ I've spent on this bike, by far.  If I had to describe throttle action, I would say that resolution is improved in the low end - it tracks my input better, and has more torque in all rpm's, with no flat spots.  And when I cut the throttle, it rolls down much more smoothly, instead of the "throttle-chopt" jerkiness from before. Has me grinnin' from ear to ear!
Steve's professionalism and customer service are spot-on, and his passion for delivering a great product is evident.  I'm sure there are other good flashes out there that maximize HP or torque for a given RPM, but what impresses me the most about Steve's Mountain Flash is how much smoother and more refined the bike feels now. Makes this amazing ride that much better,
To all you folks who have not taken the plunge, I promise you will not be disappointed.   ;)
I never ride alone...my Lord and Savior is always with me.

2016 GTR1400 Silver, Shoodaben Hammer Flash! Puig Windshield, AVT PullBack Risers, Grabon Covers, AVT Peg Lowers, Wireless Phone Ram Mount, Canyon Bars with Foot Pegs, Sheepskin Saddle cover, AST Backrest and luggage rack... More to come...
Instagram: markjamesholland

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #441 on: January 07, 2019, 03:31:02 PM »
I purposely waited till I got some mileage on my bike before making this change, because I wanted to be able to really discern the difference from stock tune

That is my advice I give to people, too.  It is hard to appreciate all the differences without being familiar with the stock behavior first.  I would say- put 1,000 miles on it, then flash that sucker and smile.

since getting the ECU back, it's the best $$ I've spent on this bike, by far.

I love reading the few complaints about cost of reflashing from the same people who would not blink an eye replacing the perfectly fine (but large) muffler for the same $ (or more), which does pretty much nothing but make it louder  :)  Although, I do rank safety mods higher (gotta be safe- lights, horn, crash gear) and ergonomic mods are pretty important, too (gotta be able to control the sucker- like reaching the ground or the bars without being in pain).
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Thunderlizard

« Reply #442 on: January 11, 2019, 02:54:54 PM »
Thanks Max!  I was trying to write a more professional review and recognize Steve's stellar efforts. But when it comes to my reaction to the flash, what I wanted to write was "WOOOO-HOOO! DANG!!! HOLY CRAP!!!! YESSSS!!!     ;D ;D ;D ;D"

It's a two-edged sword...
part of me says " if I can spend $12K on a motorcycle, what's another $375 to make it perform so well?"
but I'm, sure there are those that say "Since I spent $12K, I shouldn't have to spend another $375 to make it perform well!" and they'd be right. But it is what it is, so we work with what we've got. I just love the fact that there is such a performance improvement just waiting to be unleashed!  And to me, this is no different than a tire upgrade (the stock rubbers are not very good, IMHO) to really improve handling, which is next on the list.

(...anyone care to comment? Michelin Commander, or Pilot Road 4 or 5? Pirelli Angels? Metzler? And while we're at it, I've never worn out a front tire before the rear...until now...42 psi in both... :o)
Considerations are:
Traction (wet and dry)
Handling
Comfort
Wear
(not sure what's left?)
...in that order
All opinions are welcome... :D

2016 GTR1400 Silver, Shoodaben Hammer Flash! Puig Windshield, AVT PullBack Risers, Grabon Covers, AVT Peg Lowers, Wireless Phone Ram Mount, Canyon Bars with Foot Pegs, Sheepskin Saddle cover, AST Backrest and luggage rack... More to come...

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #443 on: January 11, 2019, 04:45:08 PM »
Thanks Max!  I was trying to write a more professional review and recognize Steve's stellar efforts. But when it comes to my reaction to the flash, what I wanted to write was "WOOOO-HOOO! DANG!!! HOLY CRAP!!!! YESSSS!!!     ;D ;D ;D ;D"

:)

But it is what it is, so we work with what we've got.

Exactly.  The reality is that I am VERY happy we have reflashing options that fix it, and on such an expensive bike, it really shouldn't be a big deal to spend it.  Now, back before we HAD the reflash option, we had good reason to be angry (of course, most of us wouldn't have fully appreciated what we were missing).  All we could do is rip out the flies, which is terribly inelegant, far less effective, reduces traction control ability and smoothness, does nothing for fuel delivery, nothing for shifting, nothing for throttle snatch, is time consuming, and more risky (like losing the screws down the manifold).

(...anyone care to comment? Michelin Commander, or Pilot Road 4 or 5? Pirelli Angels? Metzler? And while we're at it, [...]

Really, you should ask that in one of the MANY tire threads :)

Try this:  http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=22166
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Thunderlizard

« Reply #444 on: January 13, 2019, 06:55:43 PM »
Really, you should ask that in one of the MANY tire threads :)

...sorry...got lazy... ;)