Author Topic: What did you do to your Concours today?  (Read 853735 times)

Offline Diamondhead

Re: What did you do to your Concours today?
« Reply #860 on: March 08, 2015, 10:41:38 PM »
Thanx

Plenty of threads on the board about it.  It won't affect fuel economy except for the fact that the new found power/responsiveness has you wanting to turn the throttle a lot more to put an even bigger smile on your face.... that tends to destroy economy.  But, if you are willing to flip off the EPA, you can flip off the gas pump too...
Sport-Touracologist

2010 Candy Neptune Blue
05 C10 gone but not forgotten

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #861 on: March 08, 2015, 10:59:15 PM »
A big part of the gospel of Guhl is that leaving the 'flies in actually increases intake velocity compared with them removed. That is all fine and well if anyone cares what the velocity is in the intake tract but then somehow that "fact" leads the flock to believe that velocity increase also increases engine power output. So the reflash has something for everyone I guess, the above story for those who choose to believe (or blindly follow idiocy), and humor for the rest of us.

:-)

The easiest, fastest and most absolute way to open the 'flies the soonest is to remove them and put them on a shelf somewhere where they cannot do any harm.

Brian

I think they are mistakenly referring to the "Bernoulli Effect" of increasing the velocity of a gas or liquid by forcing it thru a smaller opening. When cruising thru mountain passes, I sometimes run into bursts of high winds that are being squeezed thru the canyons. Very surprising at times.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #862 on: March 09, 2015, 04:06:04 AM »
120 mph, right? 100km = 60m

I did one of those conversion thingys on the web.  Did it again and came up with 124.274238 mph.  I hate the metric system.  Can't figure anything out at all.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #863 on: March 09, 2015, 04:11:46 AM »
A big part of the gospel of Guhl is that leaving the 'flies in actually increases intake velocity compared with them removed. That is all fine and well if anyone cares what the velocity is in the intake tract but then somehow that "fact" leads the flock to believe that velocity increase also increases engine power output. So the reflash has something for everyone I guess, the above story for those who choose to believe (or blindly follow idiocy), and humor for the rest of us.

:-)

The easiest, fastest and most absolute way to open the 'flies the soonest is to remove them and put them on a shelf somewhere where they cannot do any harm.

Brian

That's funny. I've tried to get the adherents to explain that with little success. I relate it to getting a potato chip stuck in your throat and trying to take a deep breath. 

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #864 on: March 09, 2015, 04:21:08 AM »

Is that different from speeding up the air into the TBs?  Isn't that why Kwackers put the intakes in the front?  What does a supercharger do?  I know.  So many questions.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Online maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #865 on: March 09, 2015, 05:40:37 AM »
Is that different from speeding up the air into the TBs?  Isn't that why Kwackers put the intakes in the front?  What does a supercharger do?  I know.  So many questions.

It is all about amount of air, not really velocity- getting in more total air.  You can funnel things and increase the speed, but at the cost of volume (it is like electricity- increasing the volts but at the expense of amps, so you end up with the same total power (watts)).

Like supercharging (but a zillion times less effective), the ram-air effect is just a way to increase pressure so more air can get in the engine. 
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #866 on: March 09, 2015, 08:57:11 AM »
While it can be fun to poke them in the eye with those questions, or as I used to do, ask for data (the righteous DOES own a dynamometer after all), in the end it just is not worth it. I put it under the heading of teaching a pig to sing-

Never try to teach a pig to sing. It ain't gonna' work, and it annoys the pig.  :-)

Brian

That's funny. I've tried to get the adherents to explain that with little success. I relate it to getting a potato chip stuck in your throat and trying to take a deep breath.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #867 on: March 09, 2015, 09:00:38 AM »
Actually Bernoulli's principle would work here, and they may be thinking of that (though doubtful, seems more like blind groping reasons the magic works to me). But actually applying a velocity increase and Bernoulli's principle must result in a pressure drop, which will end up with the identical volume of the working fluid. So zero gain in theory, and in actuality, losses from friction and deflection from having to go around the plates.

Brian

I think they are mistakenly referring to the "Bernoulli Effect" of increasing the velocity of a gas or liquid by forcing it thru a smaller opening. When cruising thru mountain passes, I sometimes run into bursts of high winds that are being squeezed thru the canyons. Very surprising at times.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

AlbertaDoug

« Reply #868 on: March 09, 2015, 11:38:54 PM »
I did one of those conversion thingys on the web.  Did it again and came up with 124.274238 mph.  I hate the metric system.  Can't figure anything out at all.

Try this one.
http://www.unit-conversion.info/length.html

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #869 on: March 10, 2015, 03:48:37 AM »
I just penciled out the math and got...200 kph=124.27423845 mph.  :)

Offline amphibsailor

• Just call me Cap'n Crunch, Ted.
« Reply #870 on: March 10, 2015, 06:19:46 AM »
I just penciled out the math and got...200 kph=124.27423845 mph.  :)

Off topic...
I was 4 mph off.... I just estimated.  Too many decimal points....
09 Concours aka Cruncher: Corbin Canyon Dual Sport (Laam for longer trips, Corbin Modular with Smuggler for mid-length trips), Top Blocks, Penske 8983, Traxxion AK20s, Helibars Horizon ST bars w/Galfer SS +6 lines, MRA Vario Touring Windscreen/Madstad brackets (Copper Dawg on the way),  Area P full system, throttle tamer, Steve's Flash.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #871 on: March 10, 2015, 09:01:56 AM »
Can somebody tell me what kind of impact the reflash has on fuel consumption?  Thanx in advance for your reply

What Max said. I have the reflash and no difference in fuel economy except after I first got it I was enjoying the right wrist more then usual.

Offline Ghost Rider 2

« Reply #872 on: March 10, 2015, 05:40:41 PM »
  Well I finally got to ride my new to me  Connie to work today.  Not a bike ride but 60 miles round trip. Even got to break it in, I got half way to work and it started raining. By the looks of this bike it had never seen rain.  That changed in a hurry. Most of the little changes I have made are great. Just need to get my new seat.  I never liked the stock seat on any other Concours I have had.  My new Corbin should be in within a couple of days.

Offline tomp

« Reply #873 on: March 10, 2015, 06:13:08 PM »
Glad you got a ride in today.  Off today, and it stayed in the low 50's, cool for here.  Went for a two hour ride.  Fingers got cold, but the time out on the bike was refreshing.  Riding it to work the rest of the week, as it is just getting warmer by day, and no more rain.  Hope others get to ride soon, too.  tp
Living in the Texas Coast...

Offline Cruise Missile

« Reply #874 on: March 10, 2015, 07:54:58 PM »
Yup. I agree, nice 200km Hwy run does a soul good. I had to see if the Dyna Beads did there job. And yea they did.

200kph  I wish , the local speed tax collectors frown on that kind of behavior. And as for the Dyna Beads effecting the TPSM I don't know why they would. Beads run on the out side , the sensors are on the rim. I had a close look and even removed one of the sensors, took it a part to see if I wanted to change the batteries while I had the tires off. Changed my mind after seeing the power leads are soldered to the battery. Reinstalled and they work fine. 

As for the Dyna Beads. I have had good success with them in the past. I did have to add an extra oz of beads to the rear tire to get as smooth as I wanted. So 1oz in the front - 3oz in the rear.

Also would like to give an update on the hand delectors. they work awesome. I rode in +5C with my thin Okley gloves and didn't feel any cold or wind. There is also hardly any wind hitting my arms and shoulders.

Offline tomp

« Reply #875 on: March 10, 2015, 08:28:18 PM »
Cruise, I could have really used those today.  What's the source?   Thanks, tomp

Offline Ghost Rider 2

« Reply #876 on: March 11, 2015, 04:32:59 AM »
  Murph has a cruise set up for the 1400. 

Online maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #877 on: March 11, 2015, 05:40:49 AM »
  Murph has a cruise set up for the 1400.

Tomp was referring to "Cruise Missile" not cruise control :)  Question was regarding hand wind deflectors.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline tomp

« Reply #878 on: March 11, 2015, 05:43:04 AM »
Tomp was referring to "Cruise Missile" not cruise control :)  Question was regarding hand wind deflectors.
Correct.  Sorry I didn't make myself more clear.   tomp

Offline Cruise Missile

« Reply #879 on: March 11, 2015, 06:56:36 AM »
Tomp. Look on the Farkles thread. They are called."Hand Wind Deflectors'" they ship from Taiwan but don't let that scare you. Shipping was about 12 days to Canada. Quality is good. I bend the mounts in my vice to have them match the angle of the windshield in the down position. Just a little tweek and they are perfect.