Author Topic: When do the vibrations kick in on your C14?  (Read 15460 times)

Offline Conhardcore

• 2011 Concours 14 Black
When do the vibrations kick in on your C14?
« on: July 09, 2011, 03:45:48 PM »
I've had my C14 for about a month and have approximately 2000 miles on it.  I love this bike but do find that some vibration creeps in at around 5K RPM or faster.  Nothing major or even necessarily unpleasent, but obviously would prefer it was silk all the way to redline.  This is my fist sport type bike and I'm having fun with the outstanding power band available.  Just curious what others experience regarding the topic.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Re: When do the vibrations kick in on your C14?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2011, 04:19:41 PM »
I do not think they really 'kick in' on my bike but the engine is smoothest around 3K RPM under light throttle. The vibration increases starting at about 3K or maybe 3,500 RPM as the engine speed increases but I do not find it to be a problem as 3,500 RPM is just over 70 MPH in sixth gear- 5K RPM would be well over 100 MPH and at those speeds road and wind vibration become more pronounced than the engine, at least on my bike.

Brian

I've had my C14 for about a month and have approximately 2000 miles on it.  I love this bike but do find that some vibration creeps in at around 5K RPM or faster.  Nothing major or even necessarily unpleasent, but obviously would prefer it was silk all the way to redline.  This is my fist sport type bike and I'm having fun with the outstanding power band available.  Just curious what others experience regarding the topic.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Conhardcore

• 2011 Concours 14 Black
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2011, 04:27:16 PM »
I do not think they really 'kick in' on my bike but the engine is smoothest around 3K RPM under light throttle. The vibration increases starting at about 3K or maybe 3,500 RPM as the engine speed increases but I do not find it to be a problem as 3,500 RPM is just over 70 MPH in sixth gear- 5K RPM would be well over 100 MPH and at those speeds road and wind vibration become more pronounced than the engine, at least on my bike.

Brian

Hey Brian...yeah at crusing speeds there is simply 0 vibration from this bike.  I'm talking more moving through the power band as I accelerate. 

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2011, 04:33:12 PM »
Yep, under heavy throttle there is some vibration and it is proportionate to engine speed. The thing is that at the larger throttle openings I am usually not paying any attention to anything other than the Earth going past me.  ;)  The engine would have to throw a rod to get my attention to be honest.

Brian

Hey Brian...yeah at crusing speeds there is simply 0 vibration from this bike.  I'm talking more moving through the power band as I accelerate.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline IRULE

• How sweet it is...
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2011, 05:55:21 PM »
....This is my first sport type bike and I'm having fun with the outstanding power band available.  Just curious what others experience regarding the topic.

Could it be that you used to the cruiser type (v-twins) bikes in the past?  Or maybe your body still vibrating from the Harley? 

...my bike is pretty smooth.  sorry.
2009 Black Kawasaki Concours 14
2009 Red Buell 1125CR
1978 Triumph Bonneville

Offline OPUS

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2011, 08:06:37 PM »
I had/have exactley as you described at 5k as of lately 11.5k it seems to have become much less noticeable. 2010 ABS.

Offline Conhardcore

• 2011 Concours 14 Black
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2011, 10:28:28 PM »
Could it be that you used to the cruiser type (v-twins) bikes in the past?  Or maybe your body still vibrating from the Harley? 

Yep could be...no apologies here.  What are you apologizing for other than arrogance ::)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 11:50:25 AM by Conhardcore »

Offline booger

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2011, 07:20:48 AM »

Conhardcore, I know what you are talking about.  I am getting a little buzziness around 5100 rpm and 7200 rpm. I actually think my Road King was smoother throughout the powerband.

Offline manowarwi

• Midwest Sport Riders
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2011, 07:43:15 AM »
I don't notice much for vibrations, but I also have the heavy throttlemeister bar ends/throttle lock.  Are you running stock bar ends?
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly

2014 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC
2008 Concours - Gone but not forgotten

Offline Conhardcore

• 2011 Concours 14 Black
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2011, 01:16:03 PM »
I don't notice much for vibrations, but I also have the heavy throttlemeister bar ends/throttle lock.  Are you running stock bar ends?

Yes I am Manowar, but my post is a little misleading.  The bike is actually extremely smooth without any real vibration issues.  I was really just curious as to what was reasonable as far as when the bike begins to emit more vibration when racing through the gears.  Mine is REAL smooth and free of any till about 5k and then  I can feel them starting to come through.  I don't even think of that as a problem or unnatural but was curious if that was what most experienced.  To another posters comments, typically when running up to 6-8K I'm paying more attention to the drama unfolding beneath and in front of me than any vibrations:)  I have been riding rubber mounted motors on Harley Davidson touring bikes and it's all relative given the low redline levels  on those bikes, but do the motor not being fixed to the frame, the only real vibrations on those bikes is at idle, contrary to popular opinion ;D  On the other hand Softail bikes, motor afixed to the frame, the opposite is true.  Silky smooth at idle, but as the revs rise the motor as no where to float and the vibrations begin to come through the footboards and bars.
Most of what I post is stuff that I am exploring and getting used to on this bike.  I have to say, while I still love my HD and happily share my garage with the Connie, I haven't been on it since I bought the Kawi.

Offline Kazairl

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2011, 09:17:44 PM »
When I am on it hard I don't notice any buzz till 6k or so. That is when I start to feel it in the handle bars and then it moves into the footpegs and the tank from there.

When I am cruising,  I can feel an increase in vibrations in the handle bars at 3.5-4k. Nothing bad and i stop noticing it after a few miles but it is there. BTW 4k is about 80 mph. My bike seems to love it there. I average high forties to fifty when I cruise in that area.

I forgot to mention, I have the Throttlemeister Heavy Ends and Grip Puppies too.

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2011, 10:31:40 AM »
I feel it around 5k -6K under light acceleration or at a constant speed, but under hard acceleration I don't notice it.

Offline mkorn

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2011, 10:33:57 AM »
Mine is very smooth up to 4k then it gets a little vibe from 4-5k ... after that i am having to much fun to notice any vibes.
2009 C14 ABS
2002 750 Nighthawk (sold)
2006 DRz 400s

Offline Dade22

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2011, 01:19:29 AM »
I too have noticed this vibration.  Its not really that bad, but I do know that it shows up more around 5000 and up.  Just by curiosity sake...when you guys are shifting how high are you letting the RPMs go before you shift?

I say around 5000 or 5500....dont take it much over that unless Im getting on the high way with a lot of traffic. 

"To punish and enslave..."

Offline Mighty

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2011, 07:50:24 PM »
If I wouldn't have come off a cbr1100xx Blackbird I would have thought it was ok.  That bike had zero buzz and was the smoothest running engine I have ever experianced on a bike.  My 06 FJR was better than the 14 also.  At the speeds I cruise (80-85) my hands buzz for the quite awhile after my ride on the 14.
No Flies, PC V, BMC Air Filter, Two Brothers Carbon Fiber, Deep Tint Windshield, Gen Mar risers
Honda TRX700XX
Yamaha Warrior 1000cc 4 stroke Sled
68 Rag top Vette

Offline mkorn

« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2011, 07:58:56 PM »
i shift all over the place ... depending on how spirited i am riding.
2500 to 10,000, but most the time ... around 5500 to 6k
2009 C14 ABS
2002 750 Nighthawk (sold)
2006 DRz 400s

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2011, 10:21:38 PM »
Mine vibration start as soon as I tap the starter button, and the KAWI (keyword Kawi) sounds as if the cam chain tensioner is going to come out of the engine and whoop my arse.
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2011, 03:18:24 AM »
Mine vibration start as soon as I tap the starter button, and the KAWI (keyword Kawi) sounds as if the cam chain tensioner is going to come out of the engine and whoop my arse.

+1
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Shadowofshoe

• Arena
  • Mastiff pup/human pup
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2011, 02:04:48 PM »
Seems to me that 5000 is the spot where I feel anything at all....but after a few hours at any Rpm my hands are tingling.

Mike

Sooooo....we are about to be a Nation that makes you prove you have insurance-but it's not necessary to prove that you are indeed a Citizen of that Nation?

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2011, 02:13:37 PM »
My 2010 has a lot of buzz at the bars between 3500-5000 rpm, bad enough to cause the tingles. Unfortunately, this is also a section of the powerband that you're in a lot.

Coming off a Honda ST1100 which was glassy smooth, it's the one thing I don't like about the C14.