Author Topic: Trailering  (Read 14057 times)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Re: Trailering
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2011, 03:14:21 PM »
I hear you Bob, it must be a horrible thing to harbor hatred toward inanimate objects.

ROFLMAO fairly continuously now....

You gotta' lighten up there Cap'n Bob- all that adrenaline can't be good for you.

Brian

I don't worship Harley's! I just get annoyed by motorcyclists (especially our very own C14 owners) having the very anti (other bike) attitude, that you despise such in a lot of the Harley guys! No I just get annoyed by all A holes like this. Not just the Harley guys like that!
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline CrashGordon

« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2011, 03:28:15 PM »
Until I can get a wife, three kids and a dog on a bike, I will occasionally have to trailer it.

I have a Canyon Dancer from my sportbike days and I've used it on the Connie. I think compressing the forks 3/4 of the way is excessive. The idea is to compress them enough that they can't work the straps loose, but not so much that the bike's suspension is no longer working. Usually a couple of inches is enough.  I've never had a bike work loose. Also, when using a wheel chock all your straps should be pulling down and into the chock.

Offline RBX QB

« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2011, 03:40:05 PM »
I don't worship Harley's! I just get annoyed by motorcyclists (especially our very own C14 owners) having the very anti (other bike) attitude, that you despise such in a lot of the Harley guys! No I just get annoyed by all A holes like this. Not just the Harley guys like that!

I hate Ducatis. They're a bunch of Italian... Oh wait. I own one.

I know, I'm not helping.

I've been looking at picking up a simple trailer for the bike (either of them), just to make it easier to transport when having service done. It's so inconvenient to trouble a friend with meeting me at the shop to take me home... then do the reverse. Trouble is, I'd need a trailer so seldom, as I do as much maintenance myself as is humanly possible (or technically feasable). Anyone go in halvsies with a friend or family member for a trailer? Thinking that might make it more economically viable.
2011 Concours 14 ABS
2̶0̶0̶6̶ ̶D̶u̶c̶a̶t̶i̶ ̶M̶o̶n̶s̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶S̶2̶R̶D̶  SOLD

Offline AirplaneTim

« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2011, 03:40:59 PM »
I hear you Bob, it must be a horrible thing to harbor hatred toward inanimate objects.

You gotta' lighten up there Cap'n Bob- all that adrenaline can't be good for you.

Brian

You'd think he'd have a thicker skin than that by now.

My disdain for the entire harley culture stems from the 5 years I lived in Daytona.  The entire culture seems to revolve around eliteism and the thought that the ideal bike is heavy and loud.  The engineer in me cringes when people equate more noise with more power, and the human in me gets pissed off when those people sit at red lights and rev their straight pipes for the shear joy of turning gasoline into noise.

On top of that, any shred of respect I might have had left for Harley as a company was erased when they eviscerated Eric Buell's dream of making a good USA made production race bike because "the sport bike market is a fringe market" by neutering his engine with the insistence that it be harley-ized into the v-rod and then gutting the company.

Bob

« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2011, 03:48:32 PM »

Brian

Hey Brian, back off! Once again it has nothing to do with you.  :(

Bob

« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2011, 03:54:13 PM »
I don't need a thicker skin since it really isn't aimed towards me. It just annoys me when this starts. It almost always turns into a Harley bash fest. It annoys me to have motorcyclist bash other motorcyclists. People think the guys on Harley's are A holes. And with some of them, they a probably right. But being just like the people they despise only makes them  A holes themselves when they act the same way! It has nothing to do with me other than watching our bunch become A holes! I never owned and Harley!

You'd think he'd have a thicker skin than that by now.

My disdain for the entire harley culture stems from the 5 years I lived in Daytona.  The entire culture seems to revolve around eliteism and the thought that the ideal bike is heavy and loud.  The engineer in me cringes when people equate more noise with more power, and the human in me gets pissed off when those people sit at red lights and rev their straight pipes for the shear joy of turning gasoline into noise.

On top of that, any shred of respect I might have had left for Harley as a company was erased when they eviscerated Eric Buell's dream of making a good USA made production race bike because "the sport bike market is a fringe market" by neutering his engine with the insistence that it be harley-ized into the v-rod and then gutting the company.

Offline Shoe

« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2011, 04:11:30 PM »
http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Hauling_on_a_trailer

This will answer some questions for you.

Congratulations Radar.  :chugbeer: This is the first illustrated informative reply I have seen on this forum about trailering a bike. Like it or not there are occasions when everyone has to trailer a bike. The usual guffaws about trailering vs. riding are off topic. I never trailer a bike to a motorcycle event. If I were moving, evacuating or taking my bike to the dealer for an extended service then trailering would be my choice.
Eat corn. Drill for oil.

2008 Concours, 2010 Goldwing

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2011, 04:40:54 PM »
The "Top Block Racing" side sliders also give you another mounting point for straps...  :thumbs:

Offline Shadowofshoe

• Arena
  • Mastiff pup/human pup
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2011, 05:19:52 PM »

I have always liked all other riders.......we all face the same ever increasing barriers to staying alive while enjoying your 2-wheel, face in the wind time...Give em' all a wave!

Mike
  ( but jokes are always enjoyed....... F P C !!!)
Sooooo....we are about to be a Nation that makes you prove you have insurance-but it's not necessary to prove that you are indeed a Citizen of that Nation?

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2011, 07:05:01 PM »
A man has gotta do what a  man has gotta do, I have met a few decent hog riders over the years. But notice I said "riders/and or actual motorcyclists", the rest are usually what they appear to be.  Im not gonna bash somebody for trailer hauling anything, as long as it actually gets used. :chugbeer:
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline ZedHed

« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2011, 07:17:00 PM »
I hate Ducatis. They're a bunch of Italian... Oh wait. I own one.

I know, I'm not helping.

I hate Bultacos, Maicos, and Laverdas, so there........

NOT !!

I don't hate Harleys -- just some of the clowns that ride 'em   ;D
"Life is a hard teacher - you get the test before the lesson is taught..."

Offline incabird

« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2011, 08:11:29 PM »
I have trailered all of my bikes at one time or the other. Usually it has been when I have traveled with the wife to visit the in-laws in New Mexico. I live in NE Ohio, 1600 miles one way. I also have some medical issues that make it difficult to ride for more than a few hours at a time. We ride just for fun on day trips. We trailer the bike to where we want to ride if it is a long distance from us. We now have a toy hauler so we will trailer it with us to where ever we go camping. I use a Condor wheel chock. You just ride into the chock and get off the bike. The bike will stand on its own with this chock. Just tie the back down from both sides with some pressure going to the front of the bike with some compression on the forks and you are all set. No need to tie to the front of the bike.
2009 Red ZG14 w/typical farkels
Mentor, OH

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2011, 08:39:09 PM »
Now Bob, that high blood pressure just can't be good for you. Chill-ax. Everything is wonderful. You save up and buy a Hardley and you can trailer it anywhere you want and we will all show the proper respect- I promise.

Push your Feejer up onto a trailer and we'll see all of you in PA.  ;)

Brian

Hey Brian, back off! Once again it has nothing to do with you.  :(
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline joelc1400

« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2011, 10:23:14 PM »
After 4 yrs in a row trailaring my bikes from Florida to California 4 days and 3,000 one way really taugh me how to tie a bike down.

Offline shokdimn

• Yeah, I'll trailer it!
« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2011, 06:09:33 PM »
You would trailer it if you were going to a five week long Army school and had to bring your gear I'd bet.
Or, perhaps, if one is just heading to “base-camp” for awhile? 
From a distance and without warning, relámpago!