Author Topic: Trifecta of warranty issues on Florida Trip !!!!!  (Read 4094 times)

Offline 4cedars

Trifecta of warranty issues on Florida Trip !!!!!
« on: May 17, 2011, 08:08:12 PM »
I just returned home from a 3400 mile trip to the Keys. I left with 12000 miles on my 2010 with not a single issue on this bike. By the time I reached Mobile, Alabama during my morning pre-ride I noticed an oily film on the front of the engine, mostly below the exhaust outlets, no noticeable drips on the ground and oil level was good. Ok, just a valve cover gasket. While entering the St. Pete area I noticed a lurching when the bike was just about stopped and progressively got worse the remainder of the ride. Warped rotors or scudz build up on the rotors, not sure. I am going for the warped rotor scenario since the bike will be going to the dealer for the oil leak. Ok, I can live with that. Then at a fuel stop in Deltona I noticed an oily build up on the rear wheel. WTF  >:(  Yup, o-ring failure. Made it home and oil level only dropped a 1/4" but the mess it  left behind was very annoying. Its not like the bike didn't get rode before the trip, I put 1500 on it before leaving. I may as well have them do the valve check while it is in the shop, they will have plenty of time for that.  :o

John 
IBA# 45862
MTF Tourers Assistant
2012 Tour of Honor State Sponsor (IL)
2013 Tour of Honor State Sponsor (IL and IN)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Re: Trifecta of warranty issues on Florida Trip !!!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 08:39:23 PM »
You can make a temporary 'diaper' for the final drive out of three paper towels and some electrical tape. Roll the paper towels up into a tube and wrap that tube around the final drive / wheel joint, about 1/2 overlapping each one. Tape the near edge to the final drive and allow the wheel to rotate inside the paper towel 'tube'. The paper towel will catch the lube so it does not splatter all over the wheel and tire. It is not a fix but a way to make the remaining trip a little more graceful.

By the way, it is usually the small inner seal that fails; there are two seals that seal the final drive, one small and one pretty large.

Brian

I just returned home from a 3400 mile trip to the Keys. I left with 12000 miles on my 2010 with not a single issue on this bike. By the time I reached Mobile, Alabama during my morning pre-ride I noticed an oily film on the front of the engine, mostly below the exhaust outlets, no noticeable drips on the ground and oil level was good. Ok, just a valve cover gasket. While entering the St. Pete area I noticed a lurching when the bike was just about stopped and progressively got worse the remainder of the ride. Warped rotors or scudz build up on the rotors, not sure. I am going for the warped rotor scenario since the bike will be going to the dealer for the oil leak. Ok, I can live with that. Then at a fuel stop in Deltona I noticed an oily build up on the rear wheel. WTF  >:(  Yup, o-ring failure. Made it home and oil level only dropped a 1/4" but the mess it  left behind was very annoying. Its not like the bike didn't get rode before the trip, I put 1500 on it before leaving. I may as well have them do the valve check while it is in the shop, they will have plenty of time for that.  :o

John
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline blanton

• Rural East TEXAS
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 08:50:24 PM »
4cedars, sorry you had the problems, hope the trip was OK. How did your forward pegs work?......blanton
77 KZ900 (still riding) 05 C10, 2010 C14

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 09:38:26 PM »
wow that sux.

my '10 has 32,000 miles with zero issues.

knowing its a Kawi though, it may fall all to hell on my cross country trip this sumnmer!  maybe between my HONDA jacket and the KiPass Gods, it'll be ok
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline 4cedars

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2011, 05:36:28 AM »
Blanton, those forward pegs are fantastic. Found I could stretch the legs and relieve the hip also. No issues with the brackets moving either. 

Brian, thanks for the heads up on the "diaper".   
IBA# 45862
MTF Tourers Assistant

Offline So Cal Joe

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 08:04:52 AM »
Blanton, those forward pegs are fantastic. Found I could stretch the legs and relieve the hip also. No issues with the brackets moving either. 

Brian, thanks for the heads up on the "diaper".

What foot pegs d you have?

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once

Offline blanton

• Rural East TEXAS
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2011, 04:02:37 PM »
So Cal Joe, 4cedars has some home made ones that look nice. I think you thought about them but they were on a 2010. They looked like these but with removable pegs. Do not mean to answer for you 4cedars.........blanton
77 KZ900 (still riding) 05 C10, 2010 C14

Offline 4cedars

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2011, 07:13:06 PM »
no problem Blanton after all its a mod of your design :)

I could repost the pics if anybody is interested. Its the same as Blantons with a shortened horizontal and a Kuryaken removeable peg and mount
IBA# 45862
MTF Tourers Assistant