Author Topic: Exhaust Smell?  (Read 2310 times)

Offline mcman56

Exhaust Smell?
« on: January 16, 2014, 12:57:38 PM »
I have a 1999 Concours and believe all of the smog equipment is in place.  It is probably a CA model. The exhaust has a slight smell that reminds me of 1970s cars.  Is this normal for a Concours? 

Offline qman

• Autobahn Motors
Re: Exhaust Smell?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 04:32:47 PM »
considering that there is no catalyst and it's carburetted, then yes. That is a fairly subjective question and my response is as well seeing as I can't smell it from here  ;D
How does it run, is there black smoke? How do the plugs look? When was the last valve adjustment? All things to consider. If you're not sure, ask and I would believe there would be a fellow experienced cogger near you to sniff your........exhaust and you can sniff his, you know, like dogs like to get together and say "GLAND to know ya!"
hahahahahaahhahahahha

Offline mcman56

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014, 01:13:36 PM »
Thanks for the reply.  It starts and runs fine with no smoke.  The idle is a little lumpy but I don't have another Japanese 4 to compare it to right now.  I also have an older HawkGT and don't notice a smell maybe there is just less due to engine size....or dual plug heads.

Offline Ron Dawg

• Arena
  • a/k/a ron203
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 02:58:08 PM »
My 2000 developed a stinky exhaust and gas mileage dropped to 32 because it was running on 3, but it started okay (I thought). I had a fouled plug because the plug well gasket started to leak. New plugs and gaskets, valve adjust, now gets me 40-45 mpg and a quick start.
2014 C-14 Red

Offline 20/20

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 03:10:59 PM »
 Gasoline! Gasoline!
 Ev'rywhere you go you smell it,
 Ev'ry motor seems to yell it.
 Gasoline! Gasoline!
 That's the cry that echoes thro your dreams.
 Gasoline! Gasoline!
 In this land of milk and honey'
 Tisn't loveā€”isn't moneyRules the world,
  now ain't it funny?
 Gasoline! Gasoline!