Author Topic: clutch basket bad, warranty denied  (Read 33577 times)

Offline JS_racer

clutch basket bad, warranty denied
« on: July 12, 2015, 04:47:18 AM »
ok, here is what i know. finally found a shop who wanted to work on the bike. heard a lot of "our service is for our customers" and comments like that shopping for a place to have it fixed.  very annoying to say the least.  >:(

the shop found the clutch basket is bad, Kawasaki denied coverage due to milage and said the part is consumable, well, isn't everything on the bike going to ware out ??  not sure what i'll get railed for the part with the dealer mark-up but i need one. i'll get an exact price for the repair monday, ohh, the part is on back order also. great !! :-[

i am having my slave cylinder rebuilt, felt soft a few times on a hot soak with new fluid. for that to be covered it would have to be non functioning upon arival they said and not a intermittent problem.   

good news, my windshield was looser than others i felt, when i was there it was stuck down and would not go up, wow, crazy something broke at the dealer. heh, anyways they are getting a new assembly installed and covered under my kawasaki extended warranty.

looks like i need to call kawasaki corp monday and see what they say. the slave cause it isnt broken could just be paying for pm and not a repair. who knows. the clutch basket is a hard part, should be covered ?? the dealer said my frictions look amazing and my steel are almost perfect, no clue if it was something i was doing or bad luck. everything could ware out at some point, right ?? so are those to be denied also due to mileage ?? 3 year unlimited mileage is how it reads correct ?? 

bike is an 09, new june of 2010, 87k miles with it living in Minnesota!! 

Offline JS_racer

Re: clutch basket bad, warranty denied
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2015, 04:49:08 AM »
https://kpp.kawasaki.com/Terms-And-Conditions

that states what is and isnt covered.
Repair or replacement required as a result of (i) accident or collision; (ii) misuse, abuse or neglect; (iii) lack of reasonable and proper maintenance; (iv) repairs improperly performed or replacement parts improperly installed by an entity other than an authorized Kawasaki dealer; (v) use of replacement parts or accessories not conforming to Kawasaki specifications which adversely affect performance and/or durability; (vi) alterations or modifications not recommended or approved in writing by Kawasaki; or (vii) wear and deterioration (including loss of engine compression) occasioned by the use of the Product.

the dealer mentioned ware and deterioration for the clutch basket. ??
so frustrated, should have had it fixed on my trip or left it there. i had no clue what a huge pita this would become.

EXCLUSIONS FROM COVERAGE
1. Failures which are not due to a defect in material or factory workmanship.

that was also mentioned that if the part was bad it would have failed in the first few hundred or thousand miles.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2015, 08:29:46 AM »
Joel, what were the symptoms that made you take it in.

Mine is in the shop right now {no word back yet} as well, for a knocking noise coming from the clutch/or trans area. Shifts well and sound doesn't change when clutch is activated. I rode it from the parking area to the bike wash in Springdale without my helmet or I never would have known anything was wrong. If I knew for sure it was the clutch I might have opened it up myself, but with a warranty in place I thought I should take it in just in case it is the transmission.

Perhaps you parked too close to me at the Twistar and yours caught a bug from mine or vicey versy.

Offline JS_racer

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2015, 09:01:56 AM »
heh, or at star, but i parked at the hampton side of the lot., heard a clangy sound, and a knocking non rotational, clunky type sound. 2-3k in neutral, could feel it in the case, was not a good sound.

http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php/topic,59956.0.html
is my thread on it at the "other" place. symptoms, initial diagnosis, things like that

heard it thursday, after star for the first time. more clangy, revved it holding rpm to see if it changed, then heard the knock clunk type noise.

hope this helps

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2015, 12:24:18 PM »
http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php/topic,59956.msg463984.html#msg463984
Quote from:  From JS_racer on the other forum
...their determination was the clutch basket springs are loose and worn flat in the basket....
It will be interesting to see if we have the same problem, I'm only at 43,000 miles on my '10. Mine (knock) does sound "rotational" (I think) and it's there all the time in all gears and speeds. (Strange how we both got the problem at STAR. How come I didn't see you there Joel? :-\  Did you go to Cortez too?) I didn't continue to ride it but rather took it to the local Fayetteville dealer and left it with them for a week. My B-I-L is in Fayetteville and he lent me his DR650 to get home on. When the dealer called and said that he thought it was in the transmission I said I'd come get it. I didn't want the cases split so far from home. I towed my B-I-L's DR back to him and then loaded the C14 up and towed it back home to the dealer where I bought it. Still waiting to hear something this coming week. Initially my local dealer's service manager said he didn't agree that it was in the transmission because it shifts fine...but he did have a puzzled expression on his face  :o when there was no change in the noise when the clutch was activated.

To continue to ride it or not was a big decision for me made easier by my B-I-L living so close to STAR. I too worried about some sort of lock-up at speed. Still if it's making noise then there is always a chance of metal fragments flowing around in all the oil going every where (hopefully all caught by the filter). I guess I could have taken Greyhound home if I had'nt had a DR available to me.

Even with three other bikes in the garage it feels so empty and sad in there without my C14 in it. If there was any doubt about which bike is my favorite, the doubt is now gone. Well except for the noise thingy....does kinda make me worry about long term dependability issues. Would have been nice to win that FJR and rode that home.  ;D

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2015, 02:16:56 PM »
I will be monitoring this discussion.
To me, the extended warranty should cover it.

Ride safe, Ted

Offline JS_racer

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2015, 05:01:44 AM »
there were tons of people at star for sure, i just saw your bike on a stroll through the lot one evening. i stayed at the hampton, so parked on the side,
i didn't do cortez, was a tough debate and could only do one with a few days added. left for star saturday, home following monday from harrison, was a fun trip.

today i think the plan is to go visit the dealer, 150+ mile round trip, should be fun.
have to try to sell my case to them, the mechanic has never seen a bike with 85k miles on it, so it is suppose to need repairs and it should be all worn out in his eyes. if my bigger clunk is on the trans side and not the clutch side, im sure everything in there just wares out too per his logic, so the warranty could be useless splitting the case ?? not feeling great about this.

hell, i thought about dragging it back to Arkansas to have that dealer fix the clutch issue. sounds foolish going 1400 miles, but these kawasaki dealers are a huge pita to deal with. i know with them down there it would be handled and fixed with them on my side.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2015, 08:49:04 AM »
......so the warranty could be useless splitting the case ?? not feeling great about this.

If Kawasaki won't cover splitting the cases for repairs that deep in an engine..then even at a low price, the extended warranty is really useless for most of us. I hope both of our bikes have their problems contained in the clutch area regardless of warranty coverage.

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2015, 09:33:41 AM »
Isn't there a Kawasaki USA site where you can contact Kawasaki?
If the dealer doesn't help you, go there and post a complaint.
If your a member of COG, mention COG....

Ride safe, Ted

Offline JoeRau

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2015, 09:37:33 AM »
I'm starting to feel bad, since the shop his bike is at was my suggestion.... Sorry if they are not coming through for you! 
2012 C14.  Black
COG member 10990

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2015, 10:40:06 AM »
Isn't there a Kawasaki USA site where you can contact Kawasaki?
If the dealer doesn't help you, go there and post a complaint.
If your a member of COG, mention COG....

Ride safe, Ted

Kawasaki customer service number (949)-770-0400 then 1, then 5

And why would mentioning COG help?

If you get a Mark, tread carefully.  He isn't our friend.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2015, 11:20:42 AM »
That does not sound like a very valid reason to deny coverage.... especially one with unlimited mileage.

From far away and absolutely not being fully aware of your situation, it would seem to me that any [non- maintenance, non- wear] internal engine / transmission should be covered for the life of the warranty. Seeing as the clutch basket is absolutely not a part that must be maintained or has an inspection / change interval, I would expect it to be covered under warranty.

I believe a lot of cases of warranty application are really due more to the dealer than the factory. If the dealer asks, and even pushes a bit, the factory will cover a lot more items and areas than they will if an easy 'Nah, we do not want to cover that' does not get any push- back. And unfortunately, the factory does not pay very well for a dealer to repair these type of internal (Easy Boys!) repairs so it is really not in the dealer's interest to have them warranty it anyway- they will charge the customer far more than Kawasaki will pay for the same repair.

Best of luck with this.

Brian

https://kpp.kawasaki.com/Terms-And-Conditions

that states what is and isnt covered.
Repair or replacement required as a result of (i) accident or collision; (ii) misuse, abuse or neglect; (iii) lack of reasonable and proper maintenance; (iv) repairs improperly performed or replacement parts improperly installed by an entity other than an authorized Kawasaki dealer; (v) use of replacement parts or accessories not conforming to Kawasaki specifications which adversely affect performance and/or durability; (vi) alterations or modifications not recommended or approved in writing by Kawasaki; or (vii) wear and deterioration (including loss of engine compression) occasioned by the use of the Product.

the dealer mentioned ware and deterioration for the clutch basket. ??
so frustrated, should have had it fixed on my trip or left it there. i had no clue what a huge pita this would become.

EXCLUSIONS FROM COVERAGE
1. Failures which are not due to a defect in material or factory workmanship.

that was also mentioned that if the part was bad it would have failed in the first few hundred or thousand miles.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2015, 11:44:04 AM »

hell, i thought about dragging it back to Arkansas to have that dealer fix the clutch issue. sounds foolish going 1400 miles, but these kawasaki dealers are a huge pita to deal with. i know with them down there it would be handled and fixed with them on my side.

well, that answers the issue completely....

here's the skinny....
you had that dealer open it up, and analyze the problem..... and they were willing to fix it under GTPP or KPP as its called now.....
pick up the phone......

they put that service into a database, and its available to Kaw.... it was approved once, there is no reason this new dealer can dispute it, and that is what's happening.... he's disputing it, not Kaw.

that basket is NOT considered as a user responsable maintained part, I.e. needs inspection or changing, or anything but normal oil in the engine.
they specifically told you the clutch plates were not worn or damaged.... so its clear there is no abuseive cause to be blamed on you....
the plan covers time and parts paid for by kaw to the dealer, using approved parts, in all instances of manufacturing defect, or failure of a part, on a warranty with UNLIMITED mileage, not based on time,

you need to get this dealership onboard, and go to the owner of that dealership on this.... not some tech dude, that could care less....that is the weak link.

I'll state again, Kawasaki bonafide dealers, all of them, ALL of them, are required to perform warrantee services no matter what, they simply cannot pick and choose whose bike the "want" to work on.... you paid for a bike with a warrantee.... and an additional amount for this protection.

id also suggest you go to the thread I have about buying extended waranties, and call my pal Pete, they are closed on Mondays, but tomorry he should be in, tell him I said to call him, and explain the way you are being treated and everything that has transpired... and ask his opinion......I'm sure you would get a different take on what highly rated dealerships do vs the one you are having issues with......
He might even give you his "hotline number", to his factoryservice rep....not some flunky that will ditch ya...
I'm on my final extension, and my nine years is closing in, but I have full confidence this is a covered repair.
only one blocking this is the tech manager...

get on the phone to ARKANSAS...

best of luck

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline JS_racer

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2015, 03:59:47 PM »
UPDATE:

well called kawasaki, they saw on the notes from the current dealer, not a defect, normal ware and tare. kawasaki could do nothing and did nothing because the dealer said stuff wares out. they were asked to explain the part, dealer said it looks worn out. didn't see a diagnosis from the original dealer, just that they opened a case number and inspected. it did say what their findings were, just no cause.

called the current dealer, they told me nothing lasts forever, everything wares out eventually. stuff just gets worn out.  ???  k, so i ask how long this part normally lasts for, they have no idea, 50k, 100k, 150k, they have no idea. mine is the highest mileage bike they have seen.

called back to Harrison Arkansas,  the original dealer that looked at it. he was shocked at how this was going!! he said he would call Kawasaki tomorrow to see if they could get anywhere with it. Much appreciated.

next would be if my bigger clunk was on the transmission side, i asked if stuff there just wares out too, he said absolutely, everything wares out and needs replacing and i have a ton of miles on the bike. he would think if there was a defect it would have broke right away. great !!  >:(

what an absolute pita this has become, spend $650 or so, and hope that was all there is and its not on the trans side too for more out of pocket " stuff wares out "  Drag it back 700 miles to a shop that wants to help the customer and fix the bike.   100 gallons of gas each trip and a night stay, x2.

if i knew dealing with warranty stuff would be this much fun, i would have parted ways with the bike long ago. i love it, feels great, rides and handles great, but not sure i want to go down this road with my dealer network here again. still covered till june of next year, for stuff that doesn't " just ware out " i guess.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2015, 04:12:16 PM »
I, too, don't understand this "wears out" crud.  Indeed, EVERYTHING wears on EVERY vehicle.  Every switch, every gear, every part.  Even things that are eventually found to be a defective part got that way with wear, unless it was broken the moment you got the bike home.

If Kawasaki wants to exclude any type of non-regular-maintenance part, due to non-abusive "wear", then they better well had put a mileage maximum on the coverage (which would not be unreasonable) or specifically list what they plan to exclude in the terms of the contract.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Riverszzr

• Lloyd's Motorcycle Performance Center
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2015, 04:48:44 PM »
 Here is what I know and a little of what I think...

Dealers in MN are not used to seeing bikes with 85000+ miles and have the same brain dead mentality that bikes are all worn out by 30,000 miles (unless it is on their sales floor and they are selling it)---and this dealer already indicated as much numerous times
The MN dealers (6 of them who were presented with this) all had the mentality of greed........you aren't our customer, so they had no reason to put in any effort, regardless of whether they are bound by law or not (being an authorized kaw dealer).........would you want someone to work on your bike who doesn't want to?--I wouldn't !!!---none of them said they wouldn't look at it, they just said it would be weeks and weeks and that it probably wasn't covered---even without seeing the bike.......... which tells me they would not have presented it to Ma Kaw in any manner other than one to guarantee denial!
The dealer makes no money on parts via warranty work and labor hourly $ is usually about 1/2 what they charge retail customers---so there is a huge financial incentive for the dealers to deny (that is right....dealer deny) warranty work
Ma Kaw- relies on the dealers report and recommendation on warranty work---if a dealer presents something something as "worn out" or "abused" or in any way gives Ma Kaw an out to say no......ma kaw takes it--------- so while it is ma kaw that has their name on the warranty it ultimately is the dealer who will either get it approved or not ( Ma Kaw is not sending out agents to inspect warranty claims, they 99% rely solely on what the dealer represents.......so which dealer and how greedy they are, how educated they are, and how much they want to help you is the battle--- I have done this go round with a few of my customers in the past and ultimately it comes down to convincing someone (dealership staff) to present the case in a manner ma kaw says yes---and if you can't get the dealer to do, then you need to go direct (which is far harder and far less likely to succeed......it is the same with all the oems, ....so don't bash Kaw, it is bash the greedy idiots at the dealerships!!)

The dealership in AR never got Ma Kaw approval (I think) so they just told Joel the issue and that it should be covered....Joel opted to bring it back to MN to be covered rather than leave the bike 700 miles from home --- hindsight, that would have been the best option---(opinion)
 The AR dealers experience with seeing bikes with "high mileage" and their lack of greed would have been the deciding factor and ma kaw would have rubber stamped covered the repair based on the dealers recommendation (opinion based on past facts and experience with oem warranty coverage)

I do think at this point the MN dealer is a lost cause and no matter what is not going to do anything more to try and cover the repair (no financial incentive for them)... they would rather make a couple hundred profit on selling the OP the part and another couple hundred on the labor and never see him again, and possibly if there is tranny issues the could stand to make thousands off the OP if left there to fix.......as apposed to making possibly $75 total on labor (to install said clutch basket under warranty) and possibly see him in the future, he is 80 miles away-they have little reason to believe he is coming back for routine services to make a "winfall" later....(opinion)... which goes to their financial greed....sure they have overhead, so do I and so do you- so we can't "lose" money but we also don't need to steal the damn money either........which is what I feel they are doing

Finally, the warranty contracts are settled via binding arbitration, which costs money and lots of time and you are highly likely to lose your case without getting an authorized dealer to attend and go to bat for you (which is what one needs originally to get it covered), so short of just paying out of pocket to fix it all then going after ma kaw and trying to recoup all expenses and having the AR dealer come and fight (for zero compensation and likely possibly some retaliation) this is a lose lose situation...

My thought, short of towing back to AR and have that huge expense ( more than the cost of a new basket and install) for a few trips and a few weeks (as the clutch basket is not even in stock in the USA) is to pick it up from current dealer...... buy the new basket new at a discount from someone who isn't hosing retail + 20% and have it installed or install it yourself and see if that fixes everything (or just pay Planeview the $650 or so and have them do it)....... if all the noise came from only the basket, eat the expense and move along with your life and don't **** away all summer fighting...... if once that is done and the noise is still there or the tranny is **** or whatever they "think" in Planeview..... then haul to AR with all the old parts in hand and see if they can re-imburse you for the basket that was/is clearly covered (IMO) and get the rest of the work needed as covered as resultant damage or whatever....
 It is still a ton of expense hauling the bike 700 miles- come home and weeks later go back and haul it home, but..... it may be the only option- short of eating all the expenses yourself

I have zero relationship with Planeview Kaw, so it isn't like the local dealers I can bully around into covering stuff they don't want to. But I have given you as many of the needed skills to present the case over the past couple weeks, but I do think Planeview is a lost cause at this point regardless of if jesus himself came down from heaven and told them the facts.... So it surely isn't worth my time and effort to go down their and try and fight them on it.....perhaps on drop off day or pull the basket out day it would have been???( seems they have uneducated stupid techs and service manager to me)--but at this point- they firmly have their head shoved deep up their own ass and are not going to budge....I bet they never talked to ma kaw a second or third time either like they told you either(opinion)
 I can try calling ma kaw direct for you.........but I haven't even seen the part, and the fact I am not a Kawasaki authorized dealer, not like I can do the work for them...to ma kaw (on this certainly) I am just some schmo trying to get into their pocket... At this point they are going to have to hear from a dealer who has the opinion and push to stand up to the denied claim and state it needs to be covered for xyz reasons.......and that sounds like the AR dealer---surely there are others, but you know they already feel this way and will work for you!!!

It is always about the dealer, always. How good the staff is and their values....really goes for anything in life, it comes down to individuals to do the right thing, and unfortunately all too often it is tough to find those individuals...

While parts do wear (not ware) out..... 85k on a clutch basket on a C14.... come on, I see goldwings who tow trailers, Ventures who do the same with 200k without clutch basket issues, I see sportbikes with over 80k that see 10k rpm plus routinely without clutch basket issues (I own one of those)--it came down to the dealers inexperience and inability.......period---that is why it got the rubber stamp of denial. the dealer didn't do anything to get it approved, hell as stated they have a huge financial incentive for it not to get approved

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2015, 06:13:08 PM »
Here is what I know and a little of what I think...

Dealers in MN are not used to seeing bikes with 85000+ miles and have the same brain dead mentality that bikes are all worn out by 30,000 miles (unless it is on their sales floor and they are selling it)---and this dealer already indicated as much numerous times
The MN dealers (6 of them who were presented with this) all had the mentality of greed........you aren't our customer, so they had no reason to put in any effort, regardless of whether they are bound by law or not (being an authorized kaw dealer).........would you want someone to work on your bike who doesn't want to?--I wouldn't !!!---none of them said they wouldn't look at it, they just said it would be weeks and weeks and that it probably wasn't covered---even without seeing the bike.......... which tells me they would not have presented it to Ma Kaw in any manner other than one to guarantee denial!
The dealer makes no money on parts via warranty work and labor hourly $ is usually about 1/2 what they charge retail customers---so there is a huge financial incentive for the dealers to deny (that is right....dealer deny) warranty work
Ma Kaw- relies on the dealers report and recommendation on warranty work---if a dealer presents something something as "worn out" or "abused" or in any way gives Ma Kaw an out to say no......ma kaw takes it--------- so while it is ma kaw that has their name on the warranty it ultimately is the dealer who will either get it approved or not ( Ma Kaw is not sending out agents to inspect warranty claims, they 99% rely solely on what the dealer represents.......so which dealer and how greedy they are, how educated they are, and how much they want to help you is the battle--- I have done this go round with a few of my customers in the past and ultimately it comes down to convincing someone (dealership staff) to present the case in a manner ma kaw says yes---and if you can't get the dealer to do, then you need to go direct (which is far harder and far less likely to succeed......it is the same with all the oems, ....so don't bash Kaw, it is bash the greedy idiots at the dealerships!!)

The dealership in AR never got Ma Kaw approval (I think) so they just told Joel the issue and that it should be covered....Joel opted to bring it back to MN to be covered rather than leave the bike 700 miles from home --- hindsight, that would have been the best option---(opinion)
 The AR dealers experience with seeing bikes with "high mileage" and their lack of greed would have been the deciding factor and ma kaw would have rubber stamped covered the repair based on the dealers recommendation (opinion based on past facts and experience with oem warranty coverage)

I do think at this point the MN dealer is a lost cause and no matter what is not going to do anything more to try and cover the repair (no financial incentive for them)... they would rather make a couple hundred profit on selling the OP the part and another couple hundred on the labor and never see him again, and possibly if there is tranny issues the could stand to make thousands off the OP if left there to fix.......as apposed to making possibly $75 total on labor (to install said clutch basket under warranty) and possibly see him in the future, he is 80 miles away-they have little reason to believe he is coming back for routine services to make a "winfall" later....(opinion)... which goes to their financial greed....sure they have overhead, so do I and so do you- so we can't "lose" money but we also don't need to steal the damn money either........which is what I feel they are doing

Finally, the warranty contracts are settled via binding arbitration, which costs money and lots of time and you are highly likely to lose your case without getting an authorized dealer to attend and go to bat for you (which is what one needs originally to get it covered), so short of just paying out of pocket to fix it all then going after ma kaw and trying to recoup all expenses and having the AR dealer come and fight (for zero compensation and likely possibly some retaliation) this is a lose lose situation...

My thought, short of towing back to AR and have that huge expense ( more than the cost of a new basket and install) for a few trips and a few weeks (as the clutch basket is not even in stock in the USA) is to pick it up from current dealer...... buy the new basket new at a discount from someone who isn't hosing retail + 20% and have it installed or install it yourself and see if that fixes everything (or just pay Planeview the $650 or so and have them do it)....... if all the noise came from only the basket, eat the expense and move along with your life and don't **** away all summer fighting...... if once that is done and the noise is still there or the tranny is **** or whatever they "think" in Planeview..... then haul to AR with all the old parts in hand and see if they can re-imburse you for the basket that was/is clearly covered (IMO) and get the rest of the work needed as covered as resultant damage or whatever....
 It is still a ton of expense hauling the bike 700 miles- come home and weeks later go back and haul it home, but..... it may be the only option- short of eating all the expenses yourself

I have zero relationship with Planeview Kaw, so it isn't like the local dealers I can bully around into covering stuff they don't want to. But I have given you as many of the needed skills to present the case over the past couple weeks, but I do think Planeview is a lost cause at this point regardless of if jesus himself came down from heaven and told them the facts.... So it surely isn't worth my time and effort to go down their and try and fight them on it.....perhaps on drop off day or pull the basket out day it would have been???( seems they have uneducated stupid techs and service manager to me)--but at this point- they firmly have their head shoved deep up their own ass and are not going to budge....I bet they never talked to ma kaw a second or third time either like they told you either(opinion)
 I can try calling ma kaw direct for you.........but I haven't even seen the part, and the fact I am not a Kawasaki authorized dealer, not like I can do the work for them...to ma kaw (on this certainly) I am just some schmo trying to get into their pocket... At this point they are going to have to hear from a dealer who has the opinion and push to stand up to the denied claim and state it needs to be covered for xyz reasons.......and that sounds like the AR dealer---surely there are others, but you know they already feel this way and will work for you!!!

It is always about the dealer, always. How good the staff is and their values....really goes for anything in life, it comes down to individuals to do the right thing, and unfortunately all too often it is tough to find those individuals...

While parts do wear (not ware) out..... 85k on a clutch basket on a C14.... come on, I see goldwings who tow trailers, Ventures who do the same with 200k without clutch basket issues, I see sportbikes with over 80k that see 10k rpm plus routinely without clutch basket issues (I own one of those)--it came down to the dealers inexperience and inability.......period---that is why it got the rubber stamp of denial. the dealer didn't do anything to get it approved, hell as stated they have a huge financial incentive for it not to get approved

well... that was almost a two beer job to read your conjecture... you need a bit more education on the workings of Kawasaki policy tho.

first off, they can't make money on the part, as it is being supplied to them cost free, along with associated parts... I.e. gaskets and such... no big deal.

now... the pay for the time... and listen closely here....
Kaw prints service times, and relative hours.... the issue is, any dealership anywhere, will charge you 2x those hours, and at their inflated rates... and then add in hazardous waste fees, shop rags, etc.... kaw sets the standard, and that is what they pay.... they pay the shop the ACTUAL shop rate based on KAW specified replacement time.... so jackoff tech dude goes and smokes a doobie, and can't find a bolt... not Kaws problem... its a basic fact, and they even bend it when submitting "ammended service" times to Ma Kaw, who does in some cases ammend the time... not always, but it happens...

clear case of a shop wanting to charge you  for 40 man hours, at their rate... when Kaw says its 17... hmmmmmmmm, and in reality if they are anywhere decent, and have training, Kaw would accept 20 hours.... but not more than double, especially when Kaw DOES set labor rates.... and only allows a few percent based on per capita locations, for deviations... clearly this dealer does not sell enough bikes to warrent Kaw to give them some leeway,

maybe they should work harder......

as for his prior service, before one bolt was turned, there WAS a database report being filed... its just the way they do business...

before spouting off general knowledge and such, better be in the pulse stream of Kawasaki service.... I for one am....
and have been for many years... don't give conjecture.

sorry for the rant, but there was a lot of drivel, imho, being spewed her in your post

Offline Riverszzr

• Lloyd's Motorcycle Performance Center
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2015, 07:07:46 PM »
 You probably should have had a few more then.....

There is not one fact in my post that isn't true and happening.

I have dealt with far more warranty issues with all the oems than any one person should have to.........

whether you think you know more than I do or not----you have your opinion and I have mine......

I can site atleast a dozen warranty claims in the past 3 years I have had to step in and help the customer out of, and all them follow what I have laid out......

and your initial dribble- you clearly didn't read or comprehend what I said about their financial incentive to not have it covered......... or did not care to know or have it be shared??

Kaw states 1.3 hours to replace the clutch basket, kaw pays the dealer under warranty $45 or maybe it is $48/hr now, dealer only gets the parts for free (as does the consumer....no profits for anyone there).....so dealer makes at best 1.3 x $48 for said repairs

now joe schmo customer comes in for same repairs and is a "retail paying customer" and that 1.3 will often be 2.0 or even 2.5 and at $95/hr or whatever the posted shop rate is.......that $480 retail clutch basket has a 48% margin so another $230ish of parts profit for the dealer....

so option A---warranty--dealer makes $62.40 (and if they pad and get approved to double...woohoo they get $124.80)

option B---consumer retail customer---dealer makes roughly $400-$500 in their pocket

gee easy math to see why the dealer is more interested in seeing retail repair instead of warranty

Now go ahead and drink a few more, maybe it will help you understand

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2015, 08:03:50 PM »
Sorry this is happening to you.  My Voyager with 50,000 miles on it made a awful noise in a bumpy construction zone, then I was left with a loud tick like the Hydraulic Lash Adjuster lost pressure.  Brought it into a dealer that never had any of my business, (guy I bought from closed) and they were very helpful.  They acknowledged the noise and contacted Kawasaki.  Kawasaki directed them regarding what to do.

They took the conservative approach and ran detergents through the oil.  When it didn't clear up, they authorized pulling the engine and taking a look.  When the cover was pulled the tech discovered that one of the Kawasaki Automatic Compression Release dohickys came apart and bounced around the valvetrain and down the cam chain into the rocker case.  The oil screens kept the pieces from getting into the oil passages.

$2000 and 8 weeks later the bike is running great.  Not a penny out of my pocket.

My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2015, 08:31:00 PM »
You probably should have had a few more then.....

There is not one fact in my post that isn't true and happening.

I have dealt with far more warranty issues with all the oems than any one person should have to.........

whether you think you know more than I do or not----you have your opinion and I have mine......

I can site atleast a dozen warranty claims in the past 3 years I have had to step in and help the customer out of, and all them follow what I have laid out......

and your initial dribble- you clearly didn't read or comprehend what I said about their financial incentive to not have it covered......... or did not care to know or have it be shared??

Kaw states 1.3 hours to replace the clutch basket, kaw pays the dealer under warranty $45 or maybe it is $48/hr now, dealer only gets the parts for free (as does the consumer....no profits for anyone there).....so dealer makes at best 1.3 x $48 for said repairs

now joe schmo customer comes in for same repairs and is a "retail paying customer" and that 1.3 will often be 2.0 or even 2.5 and at $95/hr or whatever the posted shop rate is.......that $480 retail clutch basket has a 48% margin so another $230ish of parts profit for the dealer....

so option A---warranty--dealer makes $62.40 (and if they pad and get approved to double...woohoo they get $124.80)

option B---consumer retail customer---dealer makes roughly $400-$500 in their pocket

gee easy math to see why the dealer is more interested in seeing retail repair instead of warranty

Now go ahead and drink a few more, maybe it will help you understand

so please copy and post here the checklist for the replacement of the clutch basket, and all associated inspections that supposedly Kaw says they give 1.3 hours payment for. Please... I have one last beer. look forward to your documents.

on the rest, I do agree about the price gouging, and not it as such.

just don't agree about where you got your figure on the job time,
do you have access to this documentation?
are these "issues" you assited with directly associate with Kawasaki?
and still, the issue that a bonafide Kaw service and sales outlet can refuse service, address that, because you have me wondering about owning and servicing Kawasaki bike for almost 40 years.. enlighten me please.

I'm open minded, and fully read and comprehend what you responded with, but still don't know why you think this is credible or can be bcked up.

ride safe,