Author Topic: What are you watching?  (Read 302959 times)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Re: What are you watching?
« Reply #560 on: January 23, 2016, 04:10:05 PM »
I never saw Boston Legal- might take a look based on your report.

Careful with the unwashed masses- they make up the majority and history shows when they get a hold of the reins, the upper crust suffers. :-)

"The multitude of fools is a protection to the wise."
-Marcus Tullius Cicero, sometime before 7 Dec. 43 BC (when he was killed). Supposedly his last words were:  "There is nothing proper about what you are doing, soldier, but do try to kill me properly."

But I digress: there is good TV available, if only the viewer will make an effort. As I said, I will check out Boston Legal- not that big of a fan of Shatner (outside of Star Trek, where he is, of course, the very definition of an icon) but I do appreciate Spader in the right role. His odd cadence and delivery can make for an interesting character.

Brian

I believe that a lot of great humor is lost on the masses. Boston Legal is a fine example. Shatner and Spader were BRILLIANT in that series. Much of Jack Sparrow's dialogue is also comic genius. Firefly also had more than a fair amount of too.

Most entertainment is geared to the lowest common denominator, much like the current educational system.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #561 on: January 23, 2016, 04:27:57 PM »
A quote from "Crisis is Our Brand" : "I don't need everyone with a brain to vote for me, I need the majority to vote for me." It may have been said before that but it was the first time I've heard it.

That was actually a pretty good movie. Not enough killing or explosions to do well at the box office though.
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #562 on: January 23, 2016, 07:23:19 PM »
I believe that a lot of great humor is lost on the masses. Boston Legal is a fine example. Shatner and Spader were BRILLIANT in that series. Much of Jack Sparrow's dialogue is also comic genius. Firefly also had more than a fair amount of too.

Most entertainment is geared to the lowest common denominator, much like the current educational system.

I loved that show.  It was hilarious.

Watching US Figure Skating now..
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline jettawreck

« Reply #563 on: January 23, 2016, 07:34:21 PM »
At the height of my intellectual capacity, watching "What About Bob".
Then later, some Married With Children and Red Green. Maybe/maybe not in that order.
This street bike thing is all new to me.
Snowmobiles-I have a bunch of those.

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #564 on: January 23, 2016, 10:00:31 PM »
Watching "Billions"
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline Wandrng

• Wandering the back roads of the USA & life
    • Wandering Back Roads
« Reply #565 on: January 23, 2016, 10:50:53 PM »
Dazed and Confused
Life is too short to live the same day twice.
2015 Concours 14 -- 2007 Kawasaki KLR650 --  2003 Honda Magna 750 -- 2 V65 Magnas
Wandering Back Roads:

Offline Conrad

« Reply #566 on: January 24, 2016, 07:41:19 AM »
Watching "Billions"

We tired to like Billions. Watched two eps and we're done.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #567 on: January 24, 2016, 07:49:11 AM »
Just watched episode 1. Jury is still out.

Black Sails started a new season.

Offline works4me

« Reply #568 on: January 24, 2016, 09:17:43 AM »
Watching "Billions"

I've only seen the first episode so far but this may be
one of the best shows I've ever watched on TV.
Looking forward to more.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #569 on: January 25, 2016, 05:52:00 AM »
Watched the new X-Files last night...jury is still out.  They certainly weren't milking the sentimental side of the show.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #570 on: January 25, 2016, 08:15:34 AM »
Watched the new X-Files last night...jury is still out.  They certainly weren't milking the sentimental side of the show.

I hate football.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #571 on: January 25, 2016, 08:55:24 AM »

New X-Files? I just started watching old X-Files last night. Of course I saw some of them over the years but never watched the series from scratch. What's this "new" X-Files?

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #572 on: January 25, 2016, 11:05:25 AM »
Rewatching the original is a bit of an eye opener.
You forget just how many episodes they used to put out each season.
These days people get used to 10 here, 13 there.
X-Files you say? 22 episodes a season.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline Conrad

« Reply #573 on: January 29, 2016, 04:56:20 AM »
Watching Boardwalk Empire on Amazon Prime.

:thumbs:

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #574 on: January 29, 2016, 05:03:46 AM »
Lucifer...didn't like it at first blush, but it started getting good mid-way.  One or two seasons is all it will do, simply because I like it.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #575 on: January 29, 2016, 05:29:21 AM »
Lucifer...didn't like it at first blush, but it started getting good mid-way.  One or two seasons is all it will do, simply because I like it.

I'll give this one a try. Rated 8.7/10 at IMDB. Of course you can't always go by what IMDB says after all. They rated Under The Dome 6.8/10 and that show was a total POS. The book was great though.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #576 on: January 29, 2016, 05:32:24 AM »
I tend not to watch something that I've read first as it is usually not as well done.  However, I recently watched Childhood's End and then read the book again (probably been 40 years since I last read it (didn't remember any of it) and the TV mini-series was better than the book I felt.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #577 on: January 30, 2016, 05:44:05 AM »
We watched The Martian and Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation.

The Martian was GREAT! I give it 5 outta 5 stars a must see movie. 

MI? Not so much. The critics raved that this was the best MI yet. It was just ok for me, not even close to being the best of the series. I could have done without the comic relief for sure.   

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #578 on: January 30, 2016, 11:02:14 AM »
The first two years of that series were excellent IMO.

Also, I think it was and is the only show I have ever watched the opening of every episode- loved the theme.

Brian

Watching Boardwalk Empire on Amazon Prime.

:thumbs:
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #579 on: January 30, 2016, 12:57:18 PM »
I could have done without the comic relief for sure.   

You can get that here for free.