Author Topic: T-Rex Racing Frame Sliders  (Read 39909 times)

Offline C14lvr

Re: T-Rex Racing Frame Sliders
« Reply #60 on: February 11, 2014, 04:03:17 PM »
I decided to weigh the total kit, including the front sliders.
18 lbs.

Anyone know what a full set of Canyon Cages w/front axle sliders weighs to compare?
2011 C14 ABS black w/red/yellow, B.D.F lofuel W.E.,SSD h/g's,
2" setback risers, Phil's wedges/rear rack,K Gel-seat, Rostra CC, AST tourpegs, techspec, 2"droppegs, 4"droppass pegs, Fuzeblock,  7"Garmin, fenda ext, LED tag plate, Ip5S Ram mt, TMeister, Mirror LED t/s, Bestem TBox, CB HDUT w/s, TRex front/CC bag, Wolo Badboy, Tailbrights, Scala G9X, Scorpion EXO1200 Jag, PR4GT's55's, 55W Qz Dr

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #61 on: February 11, 2014, 04:13:32 PM »
Less than 16lbs according to the mailing label on the CC set for an 08/09.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #62 on: February 11, 2014, 04:20:10 PM »
That doesn't include the dust from setting on shelf.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #63 on: February 11, 2014, 04:42:16 PM »
That doesn't include the dust from setting on shelf.

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline C14lvr

« Reply #64 on: February 11, 2014, 07:19:55 PM »

So, these are in the same ballpark, sounds like.

What I would like to figure out is someway to fasten the rear bars on securely, but in a quick release form. That way they could be removed quickly and easily if the bags come off.

'Cause, once these are bolted on, and the bags are removed...
Not only are they going to be like CC's, but they'll stick way out from the bike and could be a hazard!

Sort of like... Tip over protection that could cause you to tip over....  ???

Ya know... Like an oxymoron.....   :o

Lol... ;D

Hmmmnnn.... I might just need to run over to Fastenal tomorrow....

What do you guys think about that idea?
2" setback risers, Phil's wedges/rear rack,K Gel-seat, Rostra CC, AST tourpegs, techspec, 2"droppegs, 4"droppass pegs, Fuzeblock,  7"Garmin, fenda ext, LED tag plate, Ip5S Ram mt, TMeister, Mirror LED t/s, Bestem TBox, CB HDUT w/s, TRex front/CC bag, Wolo Badboy, Tailbrights, Scala G9X, Scorpion EXO1200 Jag, PR4GT's55's, 55W Qz Dr

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #65 on: February 11, 2014, 07:25:07 PM »
I would be afraid a quick disconnect would be a weak link.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #66 on: February 11, 2014, 07:34:08 PM »
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline ZG

• Arena

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #68 on: February 11, 2014, 11:23:18 PM »
What I would like to figure out is someway to fasten the rear bars on securely, but in a quick release form. That way they could be removed quickly and easily if the bags come off.

Solution- don't take the bags off :)  (Works for me, anyway)

Cause, once these are bolted on, and the bags are removed...
Not only are they going to be like CC's, but they'll stick way out from the bike and could be a hazard!

I don't see why they would be much more of a hazard with or without the bags.  Perhaps they are less visible to a person walking around them.  Is that what you mean?  But they are less attractive than the MCE small rears, due to the thing that sticks out (perhaps slightly more functional, however).
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #69 on: February 12, 2014, 04:06:14 AM »
So, these are in the same ballpark, sounds like.

'Cause, once these are bolted on, and the bags are removed...

Sort of like... Tip over protection that could cause you to tip over....  ???

Ya know... Like an oxymoron.....   :o

Lol... ;D

Hmmmnnn.... I might just need to run over to Fastenal tomorrow....

What do you guys think about that idea?

Without the bags, the rear guards look quite fugly.  I've had them on at least a couple of years now and have never run into them with the bags on or off.  The only time I run them sans bags is when I'm taking it to the shop as I try to minimize potential damage.  They really don't take that long to take off.  The right side takes a tad longer as I have to remove the exhaust first.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #70 on: February 12, 2014, 04:41:05 AM »

That 16lb box that's been sitting on your garage shelf (for what, a year now?) doesn't include the rear CCs since you already have those on the bike right?

I decided to weigh the total kit, including the front sliders.
18 lbs.

Anyone know what a full set of Canyon Cages w/front axle sliders weighs to compare?

MCE doesn't make front sliders.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #71 on: February 12, 2014, 05:23:52 AM »
Actually it only seems a few days, C, in VJ time.  Think Ent.  You would be correct in that this is only the CC for the front.  Don't know how much they weigh in the rear.

Offline C14lvr

« Reply #72 on: February 12, 2014, 06:27:04 AM »
First, I have a rather unique situation...
I live in an apartment, and I'm allowed to keep my bike parked on my covered front porch.
I have a small ramp I use to transition the 6" rise.
It requires the bike sort of makes a left hand turn as it parks.
The space between support posts is about 5'.
It's the ONLY time I remove the bags, and I do it just to make sure I don't accidentally scuff them up.
With these guards on permanently, it may present a new challenge for me.

Plus, how ridiculous bag guards look when the bags are removed has been one of the biggest complaints most have said, not to mention just HOW fugly they are... I totally agree!  :P

If there was a way to make the guards easy and fast to remove when the bags come off would solve that issue. Removing 6 bolts, 4 of which are from the backside, is neither quick, or easy. But, any form of quick release fastener would ABSOLUTELY have to be configured securely... and at this point I don't know how one accomplishes that...yet. But I'm going to at least investigate possibilities.
If there's some type of fastener on the market that would fit the bill, then Fastenal probably will have it.

As to the weight comparison, Virginia Jim...
If the number you gave is for just the fronts, no rears, no front axel sliders... Then this kit is going to be much lighter than a CC setup.

Regardless, adding 18 lbs. is still a substantial weight gain...
(Looks like there may be a future carbon fiber slip-on in my future, just to break even! Lol)

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #73 on: February 12, 2014, 12:09:06 PM »
Just thrash your C14s like a rented mule, enjoy. 

"Race" and an added 16 pounds of fat don't belong in the same sentence anyway
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #74 on: February 12, 2014, 12:10:20 PM »
I'm not sure I'd throw my business to a site that can't get the years and gens right on the Concours.  It's sloppy.  If they can't get that right what else isn't right?  But that's just me...

+1

but but but.....  its a "Race" product
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline C14lvr

« Reply #75 on: February 12, 2014, 07:19:01 PM »
Just thrash your C14s like a rented mule, enjoy. 

"Race" and an added 16 pounds of fat don't belong in the same sentence anyway

Ya know, up until last fall that was my attitude.
While on a weekend trip to Eureka Springs, got up on a crisp Saturday morn with my buddies, pulled away from the motel for a full day of carving great twisties, went into a curve about a quarter mile away doing about 30 mph, cold tires.... and the front wheel slipped out on something loose in the road I didn't even see!
 I didn't go down, but it was close!

Since then, it got me thinking how much damage the bike would've seen if I'd gone down, and just how quickly it can happen, even with as many miles logged as I have.

Offline C14lvr

« Reply #76 on: February 12, 2014, 07:40:17 PM »
Weather warmed up a little today, so I managed to get the sliders installed on the front fork and look closer at the attachment points on the bike.

Fork sliders took 5 minutes, and were pretty self-explanitory.
Long bolt goes through one washer, slider, bushing... Then through the hollow axel on the bike to the other side, then another bushing, slider, washer, and the nut. The nut has a plastic bushing insert, so it stays on, yet is easily removed for wheel removal, etc.

The sliders measure 2" long.

Planning on installing the rest by the weekend. Weatherman says mid-60's this weekend!
Woohoo! ;D

The engine guards may be a challenge on mine, since I have AST touring pegs, and it's bracket is under one attachment bolt on each side, and my Rostra module mounting bracket is under another one on the left side...

But, one thing about it...
This project will prove whether or not it can be added with those accessories already in place or not, and answer that question.

Looking at it today, I believe it will work fine.
(He says with his fingers crossed...)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #77 on: February 13, 2014, 07:22:06 AM »
Since then, it got me thinking how much damage the bike would've seen if I'd gone down, and just how quickly it can happen, even with as many miles logged as I have.

Grasshopper is learning...

Offline 2talltim

• 2008 C14
« Reply #78 on: February 13, 2014, 05:20:52 PM »
My original thought was just to get the frame slider wasn't really thinking about the bag protector. My thoughts were if i go down i just want to be able to ride it home, nothing more. I just think the bag protectors are gawg awful ugly sticking out. Might convince myself other wise but i doubt it ..lol

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #79 on: February 13, 2014, 05:52:04 PM »
Ya know, up until last fall that was my attitude.
While on a weekend trip to Eureka Springs, got up on a crisp Saturday morn with my buddies, pulled away from the motel for a full day of carving great twisties, went into a curve about a quarter mile away doing about 30 mph, cold tires.... and the front wheel slipped out on something loose in the road I didn't even see!
 I didn't go down, but it was close!

I still have that attitude. Folks suggested when i purchased my bike to get radiator guards, rails, pin my bags so they won't fall off, front fender flap, headlight protector, and all sorts of stuff I can't think of.  Anyway, I didn;t do any of those things.  I told everyone I'll keep my KIPASS FOB BATTERY FRESH!

I've ran my bike >83,000 miles without issue in all sorts of extreme heat, cold, and terrain. Now 4 years later and high miles my bike isn't worth much.   If it gets messed up now due to protection, I'll simply part it out on the fleabay!  ;D

My bike has survived all this and tons more without the first hint of aftermarket protection:

Infinitely long GRAVEL roads wOOt

Sand

Rocky roads

And just good times in plain nasty chance "ice on bridges" conditions =)