Author Topic: How many was that?? Rear wheel bearing failure.  (Read 57605 times)

Offline Cold Streak

Re: How many was that?? Rear wheel bearing failure.
« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2012, 12:25:01 PM »
Perhaps that bearing didn't get enough grease when it was made.  They don't put much in them to start with (actually scary how little they have).  I believe it's pre-planned obsolescence.

Very possible, but more grease isn't always better.  If you put too much in, it just squeezes out past the seals right away.

I'm thinking I better put new bearings and seals on the wheels next time I get new tires.  My spacers don't pass the test proposed by BDF any longer.  I've got 45k miles on these bearings/seals and have ridden in the rain plenty of times.  No pressure washing though.  Ever.   :yikes:

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2012, 01:01:56 PM »
You should check for your year bike but I have the following for the 08/09 bikes:

Front seals (2) 92049-0050
Rear seal (1) 92049-1061

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=1650.0
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline MGvaleri

« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2012, 01:07:04 PM »
La mia C14 ha avuto una manutenzione fuori da ogni vostra immaginazione: Chi di voi a fatto manutenzione al Cardano ..io si,per dirne una,chi vi ha avvisato della ruggine sotto serbatoio,ragazzi forse non riuscite a comprendere il tutto,chi vi a detto che senza transponder vi rubo la moto in 2 minuti, senza fare danni alla vostra amata,ho sempre percorso brevissimi  tragitti ,la mia C14 ha il suo garage riscaldato, i 2 sinistri avuti sono sciocchezze,mi spiace dirlo ma Kawasaki a montato cuscinetti
come i dischi freno,mai viaggiato quando piove,mai preso buche,lavaggi moto fatti con esperienza,dopo il lavaggio aria compressa a GOGO.
Se la mia C 14 fosse stata adoperata per come è nata a 5.000 km ciò successo oggi sarebbe successo dopo 2 mesi di vita.
Qualcuno vorrebbe vedere lasse della ruota,non posso fare niente perché sto aspettando ispettore Kawasaki,già ne sono in contatto.
Fratelli Occhio con questi CUSCINETTI.

MGvalerio. 8)

Ugocon dove sei,non mandarmi a quel paese.

MGvalerio. :-[
Centauro ancora a  60 anni,..che non finisca mai!!!

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
« Reply #43 on: December 05, 2012, 05:31:43 PM »
La mia C14 ha avuto una manutenzione fuori da ogni vostra immaginazione: Chi di voi a fatto manutenzione al Cardano ..io si,per dirne una,chi vi ha avvisato della ruggine sotto serbatoio,ragazzi forse non riuscite a comprendere il tutto,chi vi a detto che senza transponder vi rubo la moto in 2 minuti, senza fare danni alla vostra amata,ho sempre percorso brevissimi  tragitti ,la mia C14 ha il suo garage riscaldato, i 2 sinistri avuti sono sciocchezze,mi spiace dirlo ma Kawasaki a montato cuscinetti
come i dischi freno,mai viaggiato quando piove,mai preso buche,lavaggi moto fatti con esperienza,dopo il lavaggio aria compressa a GOGO.
Se la mia C 14 fosse stata adoperata per come è nata a 5.000 km ciò successo oggi sarebbe successo dopo 2 mesi di vita.
Qualcuno vorrebbe vedere lasse della ruota,non posso fare niente perché sto aspettando ispettore Kawasaki,già ne sono in contatto.

MGvalerio. 8)

Per Google Translate :

My C14 had a maintenance out of all your imagination: Those of you who did maintenance at the Cardano you .. I, for one, who hath warned of rust in the tank, you guys maybe you can not understand the whole, those who said that without a transponder will steal the bike in 2 minutes, without doing damage to your beloved, I always run short distances, my C14 has its own heated garage, i had 2 claims are nonsense, sorry to say but Kawasaki mounted bearings as the brake discs ever traveled when it rains, never got holes, washing bikes made ​​with experience, after washing compressed air GOGO.
If my C 14 had been used as it is born in 5000 km what happened today was going to happen after 2 months of life.
Some would like to see the wheel loose, I can not do anything because I'm waiting inspector Kawasaki, already are in contact.
Brothers eye with these BEARINGS.

I mostly understand it, I think, except the first couple sentences...
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline C1xRider

« Reply #44 on: December 05, 2012, 05:39:38 PM »
Very possible, but more grease isn't always better.  If you put too much in, it just squeezes out past the seals right away.

Totally agree, but when you look at the minuscule amount some of the bearing manufacturers put in there, you would be shocked.  You also have to allow for expansion of the grease you put in due to temperature increase when in use.

I don't overdo it, just make sure it has an adequate reserve amount.  I have over 25K on my C10 front wheel bearings, and the wheel still rotates smooth, quiet, and freely (with the callipers removed).  The rule of thumb I heard for that bike was to replace the wheel bearings every time you replaced the front tire.  I've only replaced them once, front tire several times.
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline pistole

« Reply #45 on: December 05, 2012, 07:54:40 PM »
- my local shop fellow recommend rear bearing replacements at 25K kms (15,500 miles) because they have seen failures at higher mileages. They speculate that its because of the weight of the bike coupled with high speed long distance cruising.

- bearings are cheap.

Offline C1xRider

« Reply #46 on: December 05, 2012, 08:40:50 PM »
It's cheap insurance I guess, especially if you buy your bearings in any quantity like I do (I usually buy a minimum of 10 to get a price break).  They don't have a shelf life that I'm aware of, and most of the bearings are used in many different places.  The C10 front wheel bearings are also used in my lawn mower deck (3), my hot tub motor (2), and my snowmobile boggie wheels (forget how many).

However, if a bearing is working fine, I'd rather let it keep working instead of introducing a potential 'new' problem.  Replacing it with a new bearing 'just because', is not for me.  Part of that "if it ain't broke, ..." philosophy.

The rear C14 bearings are pretty stout, and I really doubt they wear out early because of load.  I suspect it's primarily because they run dry (lack of grease).

We should start a poll to see how many have replaced their rear bearings, and how many miles people have on their bearings.  I've been around here for several years, and don't recall ever seeing a thread warning people to replace their bearings.  I've been operating under the premise that they haven't been failing, and haven't been changed.  We also need to hear from some of the higher mileage bike owners about what they've been doing.

Offline ugocon

« Reply #47 on: December 06, 2012, 01:24:54 AM »

MGvalerio. 8)

Very hard to translate because I find it hard to understand in Italian.  :o
But I know Valerio's style  ;) and can sum it up:
"I never adopted any of the hazardous behaviours that could lead to damage the bearings: high pressure water, wrong mounting of the wheel, riding in the rain, etc.
I treated my C14 well as nobody else did.
I can't touch anything now because I'm waiting for an inspection by Kawasaki: things are progressing."

For what I know of Valerio, I think he could hold a course to Kawasaki mechanics about the bike!  ;D
Thus I strongly doubt that what happend is due to mistakes by Valerio.
But anything is possible...  ::)
Stand out from the crowd: do not buy a BMW !!!

Offline MGvaleri

« Reply #48 on: December 06, 2012, 10:41:23 AM »
One thing to rule out is the lack of grease in the wheel bearing.
http://youtu.be/vdFyP0eE4VA

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #49 on: December 06, 2012, 12:08:48 PM »
Maybe he parked too close to a BMW ;D

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #50 on: December 06, 2012, 12:45:26 PM »
That explains everything.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline MGvaleri

« Reply #51 on: December 08, 2012, 12:00:52 PM »
Inizio lavori.

http://youtu.be/LKHV0xJiYC8
MGvalerio. 8)
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 01:08:37 PM by MGvaleri »

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #52 on: December 08, 2012, 02:11:19 PM »
 :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :popcorn:
I THINK AT THE END OF THE VID the answer of what happened can be found...
Appears the axle itself had spun in the swingarm, for a LONG period of time, and ended up egg-shaping the hole, and finally welding itself to the casting..... the result of not tightening the castled nut, but still installing the cotterpin.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #53 on: December 08, 2012, 07:40:16 PM »
 :o

Offline Conrad

« Reply #54 on: December 09, 2012, 07:57:56 AM »
Seeing someone take a hack saw to Connie makes me SO sad.    :'(
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #55 on: December 09, 2012, 08:02:22 AM »
Would a SawzAll have been better?

Offline C1xRider

« Reply #56 on: December 09, 2012, 09:53:09 AM »
Thanks MG, I was wondering what the inside of that swing arm looked like.   ::)

So what did Kawasaki say about it?

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #57 on: December 09, 2012, 10:05:05 AM »
Would a SawzAll have been better?

I'm sure part #2 is forthcoming, where the sawzall is used to cut the axle at a point between the brake caliper, and the outer arm he just "modified" , ....doesn't look to be much choice now to get that axle out without doing that.... ::) ::) ::)

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #58 on: December 09, 2012, 10:26:16 AM »
That axle will be a bitch to cut.

Offline MGvaleri

« Reply #59 on: December 09, 2012, 01:02:17 PM »

So what did Kawasaki say about it?

Silent, silent. :deadhorse:

MGvalerio.