Poll

Vote to be part of the KIPASS BYPASS MOD by BDF

Vote to be part of the buy....
100 (87.7%)
Don't press this button.......
14 (12.3%)

Total Members Voted: 114

Author Topic: KIPASS BYPASS Mod by BDF  (Read 191608 times)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Re: KIPASS BYPASS Mod by BDF
« Reply #260 on: April 06, 2017, 10:21:03 AM »
Other way around- the fuse stays in the harness until the activation switch sticks- then you remove and reinsert the fuse to activate the system. Which is a good system because you will not lose or misplace the fuse, and the fuse assembly is waterproof while closed.

Brian

Scratch that! Went and reread, the fuse is the switch. Put fuse in if/when you need it.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #261 on: May 28, 2017, 07:39:18 PM »
28 May 2017 Update:

Finally have some in stock. They can now be ordered from my web page for delivery in the US, and e-mail me for shipping overseas.

I tried to respond to all who had inquired about these but please forgive me if I missed anyone (multiple e-mail addresses to keep track of).

BTW: for whatever reason, shipping a small package overseas from the US has become somewhat reasonable. No idea why this is but it is a pleasant surprise to me, and I hope so of my customers!

Brian
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline rcannon409

« Reply #262 on: June 08, 2017, 04:47:12 PM »
Brian, I just went to your page and noticed the "low fuel eliminator".  Do we have a thread regarding that?  I need one...I detest that warning.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #263 on: June 08, 2017, 04:50:09 PM »
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #264 on: June 08, 2017, 04:59:10 PM »
Wow, four minutes and Jim already beat me to it.... :-)

Yep, and I happen to have some in stock at the moment also- I usually run out of them and take far too long to rebuild stock but you happen to catch me 'fat' with them.

Please feel free to e-mail me with any questions or of course post them here for public viewing if you want. Either way, I will do my best to answer them.

BTW- you can clear that and any other warning (although only one at a time) by pressing and holding the top button, then pressing and releasing the bottom button, then releasing the top button. The warning will clear but the range display will still not work until you re- fuel; my circuit eliminates the warning and also allows the range indicator to continue to function. I just wanted to pass that along because any C-14 owner can clear the warning without buying anything and I do not want to sell anything under false pretenses. Full disclosure and all, so when I testify to Congress it goes smoothly.... unlike Kirby's testimony, which is going to be a disaster as I keep telling him. Of course, he feels immune to any form of prosecution or punishment..... but I digress.   ;D

Brian

Brian, I just went to your page and noticed the "low fuel eliminator".  Do we have a thread regarding that?  I need one...I detest that warning.

Offline rcannon409

« Reply #265 on: June 08, 2017, 06:14:02 PM »
So, Ive been seeing that warning for 4 years? I feel like a fool...always hated that warning.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #266 on: June 08, 2017, 09:18:18 PM »
Do not know what to say- this information was in the original '08 (released in June of '07) model year owner's manual. ???????????

My farkle does more: it eliminates the spastic finger dance (that many find impossible to dangerous, especially with heavy gloves on) to remove the warning AND it preserves the range function.

Best of luck whichever way you go.

Brian

So, Ive been seeing that warning for 4 years? I feel like a fool...always hated that warning.

Offline rcannon409

« Reply #267 on: June 09, 2017, 07:24:02 AM »
Brian, it just goes to show....as smart as you are, you cant fix dumb.  I was dumb,  and should have read about canceling the warning, and at some point, I will get this device. 

The piece of mind I get with your KIPS device is worth way more than the dollars I paid for it.

For me, the computer in this bike is its worst feature. It is dangerous when you have pop up messages appear.  Cant help but assume the worst, and it takes my mind off of what I should be concerned with.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #268 on: June 09, 2017, 08:31:55 AM »
I know dangerous..
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #269 on: June 09, 2017, 11:39:16 AM »
I do not think it is really 'dumb', it seems to be an open secret. :-)   An awful lot of C-14 owners either do not know that warnings (all warnings, not just the low fuel warning) can be cleared but have trouble remembering how to and then actually executing the maneuver to do so. I do find it a bit tricky to manipulate the buttons (Easy Boys!) in the dark, while riding, especially with heavy gloves but it can be done. What I also find annoying is that each warning must be cleared individually; when riding in cold temps. it is common enough to get the 'low battery' tire pressure sensor warning every single time the bike is started, and it is normally both wheels, so the warnings must be cleared twice. A true PITA IMO.

Yeah, the display does get a bit over- aggressive on showing us warnings that are just not that important (low TMPS battery.... is it really that big a deal? In the same realm as having 3 lbs. of air pressure left in a tire? The display would have us believe it is.....).

As to dumb, I cannot remember how to set the clock on the bike.... twice a year when the time changes. Sometimes I hit it pretty quickly, sometimes I fumble around for far too long, and sometimes I convert the readout to French. Hey, stuff happens.

Brian

Brian, it just goes to show....as smart as you are, you cant fix dumb.  I was dumb,  and should have read about canceling the warning, and at some point, I will get this device. 

The piece of mind I get with your KIPS device is worth way more than the dollars I paid for it.

For me, the computer in this bike is its worst feature. It is dangerous when you have pop up messages appear.  Cant help but assume the worst, and it takes my mind off of what I should be concerned with.

Offline rcannon409

« Reply #270 on: June 10, 2017, 07:48:48 AM »
The low battery thing irritated me, too. I felt like the battery would not have been nearly as low had it not kept reminding me how low it really was.

As if soemoen falls in a lake, then spends the next three hours yelling, "I'm drowning"    Well, obviously, you're not, or you would have gone quiet, much earlier.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #271 on: June 10, 2017, 03:26:23 PM »
OFFTOPIC:

That one I think they actually fixed. Kawasaki used to use an different brand and type of tire pressure sensor, and the low battery flaw was inside that sensor. Now they use Schrader sensors (like everyone else) and I do not believe the Schrader suffer from this problem.

Also, the <base> Schrader sensor is readily available every place that sells or services  tires, and it is cheap. Unfortunately, Kawasaki does not use the basic version but has their own made for them so we cannot just swap ours out for standard Schraders but must use the Schrader sensors that Kawasaki sells.

So I guess this is like a good news / bad news joke. Though the original sensors were also quite expensive. So maybe this is really a bad news / bad news / newer bad news joke.... and it is on us, the C-14 owners. Really, at this point in time when much more reasonable systems are available from third- party manufacturers, it now sort of makes sense to just scrap the OEM sensors (disable them- we still need the valve stem) and use an after market setup. Sure it is an add- on and not built into the bike but then again, most of us have about 83 add- on gizmos all over the place so what is one more discreet thingy stuck to the dash?

Brian

The low battery thing irritated me, too. I felt like the battery would not have been nearly as low had it not kept reminding me how low it really was.

As if soemoen falls in a lake, then spends the next three hours yelling, "I'm drowning"    Well, obviously, you're not, or you would have gone quiet, much earlier.

Offline rcannon409

« Reply #272 on: June 11, 2017, 10:08:24 AM »
Great points on the sensor, as usual.

My rear sensor is an original 08 model, and I had no trouble putting  anew battery in it.

When I took my bike to the shop....not sure when this was.  It went to the shop for the removal of that rear brake clevis guard they had installed on the prior visit...maybe 2012?

Anyway, at that time the front sensor was showing "low battery" so they replaced it.  Im afraid that I ended up with the one where you cant get to the battery.

I love Brians products and ideas. Every product has that, "Duh, why didn't I think of that" feel to them.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #273 on: June 11, 2017, 03:27:15 PM »
Thank you for the kind words. You probably would not love all my ideas though; you have only seen a few of the more polished ones :-)  Some of them..... well, let's just say they cannot be polished and leave it at that.  ;D 

About the new sensor: I believe someone opened one of them and the battery is not actually potted, so while there is some cutting and hacking involved, the batteries can be replaced <reasonably> easily Certainly much more easily than an epoxy potted sensor. Now that assumes I am remembering all of this correctly and the sensor I saw is what Kawasaki is actually supplying. I believe it was in a post on this forum (the only vehicle forum I use so it almost has to be this one) so you can probably find it. Or maybe the original author will chime in with a pointer to his / her original post and photos about it.

Brian

Great points on the sensor, as usual.

My rear sensor is an original 08 model, and I had no trouble putting  anew battery in it.

When I took my bike to the shop....not sure when this was.  It went to the shop for the removal of that rear brake clevis guard they had installed on the prior visit...maybe 2012?

Anyway, at that time the front sensor was showing "low battery" so they replaced it.  Im afraid that I ended up with the one where you cant get to the battery.

I love Brians products and ideas. Every product has that, "Duh, why didn't I think of that" feel to them.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #274 on: June 29, 2017, 06:17:38 AM »
To my non- US customers and potential customers: shipping prices have recently dropped dramatically. I have no idea why this is but what was a common price to ship to many parts of the world overseas was in the $20 to $30 (US) range, which was frankly ridiculous. These were the prices actually charged me to ship my products; I do not tack on any extra for shipping. And of course, a shipping charge of $30 was quite substantial on a $50 retail cost product.

I just got a price to ship to Australia and it was $8 (US) which includes both actual shipping charges as well as exchange rate surcharges. Shipping to Canada has been $5 (US) recently.

I just wanted to let the folks outside the US know that my products are now a lot more reasonable to purchase due to a dramatic decrease in shipping costs.

Brian

Offline Bonsaicat

« Reply #275 on: October 23, 2018, 02:30:23 PM »
Why wouldn’t you just remove the switch solenoid? in the ignition

Offline Conrad

« Reply #276 on: October 24, 2018, 06:34:58 AM »

You're a newbie so I'll go easy.

Did you see how many guys have posted in this thread? Do you think that if the solution to the Kipass issue was as simple as removing the solenoid that someone would have thought of that by now? No, it's not that simple and no, you can't just remove it.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #277 on: October 30, 2018, 12:15:41 PM »

Different folks consider some work difficult and to others it's just not a big deal as they've been doing it for years and have all the tools and most of the knowledge at hand. The link below shows how Fred Harmon did it years ago, so you can be the judge. I think he just cleaned it and lubed it instead of removing it. Personally I wouldn't do all that until it was an established problem on my bike and it's not something that I'd want to do on a long trip. I think that's the beauty of Brian's product, you simply plug it in the system and it sits silently at the ready to save the remainder of your trip and then get you home where you can either fix it in your garage or take it (ride it in) to the shop. YOMV.

http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/kipass

Offline robertv

• 2008 C14 Silver
« Reply #278 on: July 23, 2019, 11:59:16 AM »
Just gotta say, this bypass switch came in handy on my 4 day trip! I've had it installed a few years ago after a stuck switch after a single incident. Fast forward to now...then on my recent trip this past weekend it got stuck all the time after the 1st day. :(  Luckily I was able to reach down and pull the fuse EACH and EVERY TIME to get it started.

Buddies were looking at me the first time thinking I was hot starting it till I told them the issue. Wasted no time and able to start easily. Thanks again for the extreme life saver Brian!!

But now that I'm back, I need to diagnose why I can't push the switch to activate it. Any ideas on where to start? Think I'll remove the ignition assembly from what I recall on Fred's photos earlier and go from there...

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #279 on: July 23, 2019, 03:23:49 PM »
But now that I'm back, I need to diagnose why I can't push the switch to activate it. Any ideas on where to start? Think I'll remove the ignition assembly from what I recall on Fred's photos earlier and go from there...

It is usually that weak return spring, resulting in a switch stuck in the down (closed) position, if I remember correctly.  Gen 1 suffers from it worse than gen2.  Kawasaki replaced the spring with a stronger one (without addressing the design flaw) so later models either don't ever have the problem, or have it much less frequently.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc