Author Topic: 41K rough brake rotor question  (Read 1176 times)

Offline wtaylorc14

41K rough brake rotor question
« on: March 04, 2019, 12:47:37 PM »
Howdy-
Sorry, if this is addressed on here, but looking around wasn't able to locate a previous thread.  My 2008 ABS model has right around 41K on it.   The rotors are fairly rough in my opinion.  My sisters Kawasaki, they are like glass.  My bro in law's Harley- the same.  This bike, they are fairly rough.  What is TOO rough?  When to replace? 

Pads are in pretty good shape.  Looks like they were replaced not to long ago.  I'm not one that is a hard rider... pretty calm by most standards.

If must replace, do the ABS and non ABS bikes use the same rotors?  I ask, because was looking online and several sites listed rotors that would fit the non ABS Concours but not the ABS.  If it is time to replace, what's an economical route?

Thanks
Will
2008 ABS C14

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
Re: 41K rough brake rotor question
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2019, 01:01:48 PM »
How do the brakes feel under both hard and gentle braking, that what matters.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline wtaylorc14

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2019, 01:17:44 PM »
How do the brakes feel under both hard and gentle braking, that what matters.
Well, to me, they feel fine.  Now, to you or someone else, not sure.  Feel a slight pulse early on, but I am assuming thats the ABS.  I don't get a noticeable shimmy, in my opinion.  I don't think they are warped.  It's mostly just the surface of the rotors and wondering how rough is tolerable before replacement? 
2008 ABS C14

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2019, 01:44:20 PM »
as long a they are not "dragging", slight roughness isn't a real issue, and any "light pulse" feel may be due to some brake pad adherances to the discs, and can be removed by using a coarse Scotchbrite pad, aerosol BrakeKleen, and some elbow grease.
I also suggest removing the pads (noting which goes where), and using a tooth brush and BrakeKleen, to clean the part of the pistons that are exposed and dirty (do not push them into the caliper without cleaning them...)

Rotors, if not warped, don't need to be replaced until they drop below the "minimum wear thickness" noted in the FSM

Brake Discs
Thickness:                 normal/standard                         wear limit/replace
Front              4.8 ∼ 5.2 mm (0.19 ∼ 0.20 in.)           4.5 mm (0.18 in.)
Rear               5.3 ∼ 5.7 mm (0.21 ∼ 0.22 in.)            5.5 mm (0.22 in.)
Runout        TIR  0.15 mm (0.006 in.) or less             TIR 0.3 mm (0.01 in.)

There is no difference in ABS or Non ABS rotors, the sensor "tone ring" on the right side, is a separate part...(that part did change later, when linked brakes appeared, but isn't an issue if you are just doing rotors)  I don't think there was any change in the rotors other than paint colors, since the bike came out... also same rotor is used on the ZX1400 models.

if you look at prices for OEM rotors... prepare for sticker shock...
Aftermarket one have been found all over, and mostly they all seem to satisfy those that have bought them, EBC is top line, and still less than OEM $$$,
and many people have bought the cheapest online ones from China, and said they were fine... I guess I'll cross that bridge when I need some, but my OEM's on my '08, even tho not "glass smooth looking" , i.e., some minimal grooving, to be expected on Stainless rotors, are well within safe operating tolerance, and working fine... I do clean them occasionally, using the method I noted (especially if and when I wash the bike with soap... which is seldom...) as funny as it sounds, soapy stuff always made me have to clean them, just that minimal residue seems to make them pulse when not removed... and water rinse didn't really remove it all..

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2019, 02:50:21 PM »
I don't think you should ever feel ABS ... unless when your ABS is actually working  :o

i.e. it's either doing nothing but monitoring your wheels ... or it's taken over and is actively pulsating your brake(s) which you will definitely be aware of.

Hopefully somebody will confirm.

Offline wtaylorc14

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2019, 03:01:16 PM »
as long a they are not "dragging", slight roughness isn't a real issue, and any "light pulse" feel may be due to some brake pad adherances to the discs, and can be removed by using a coarse Scotchbrite pad, aerosol BrakeKleen, and some elbow grease.
I also suggest removing the pads (noting which goes where), and using a tooth brush and BrakeKleen, to clean the part of the pistons that are exposed and dirty (do not push them into the caliper without cleaning them...)

Rotors, if not warped, don't need to be replaced until they drop below the "minimum wear thickness" noted in the FSM

Brake Discs
Thickness:                 normal/standard                         wear limit/replace
Front              4.8 ∼ 5.2 mm (0.19 ∼ 0.20 in.)           4.5 mm (0.18 in.)
Rear               5.3 ∼ 5.7 mm (0.21 ∼ 0.22 in.)            5.5 mm (0.22 in.)
Runout        TIR  0.15 mm (0.006 in.) or less             TIR 0.3 mm (0.01 in.)

There is no difference in ABS or Non ABS rotors, the sensor "tone ring" on the right side, is a separate part...(that part did change later, when linked brakes appeared, but isn't an issue if you are just doing rotors)  I don't think there was any change in the rotors other than paint colors, since the bike came out... also same rotor is used on the ZX1400 models.

if you look at prices for OEM rotors... prepare for sticker shock...
Aftermarket one have been found all over, and mostly they all seem to satisfy those that have bought them, EBC is top line, and still less than OEM $$$,
and many people have bought the cheapest online ones from China, and said they were fine... I guess I'll cross that bridge when I need some, but my OEM's on my '08, even tho not "glass smooth looking" , i.e., some minimal grooving, to be expected on Stainless rotors, are well within safe operating tolerance, and working fine... I do clean them occasionally, using the method I noted (especially if and when I wash the bike with soap... which is seldom...) as funny as it sounds, soapy stuff always made me have to clean them, just that minimal residue seems to make them pulse when not removed... and water rinse didn't really remove it all..

Thanks for the information.  I will see about checking their thickness.  Not sure what you consider "Dragging"  I don't get a grinding sound, but the brakes have made a soft brushing sound when applied since I purchased.  It literally is a brushing sound, like "shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"  They seem to work well, have lots of pad left, but the rotors are not smooth on the iside or outside of each front.

Yeah, OEM rotors are up there... the BikeMaster ones, which have good reviews, are about $150 each and probably the way I would go.  Where are these Chinese options of which you speak found?
2008 ABS C14

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2019, 03:07:07 PM »
I don't think you should ever feel ABS ... unless when your ABS is actually working  :o  Hopefully somebody will confirm.

Confirmed.  And it is more like a very rapid buzz, unlike some of the other systems I have used (which are slow or pulse).  Plus, at least in my case, it is extraordinarily rare I ever have it kick in.

Oh, and my [original] front rotors [~39K mi] are way far from being "smooth", they have lots of longitudinal grooves.  Some of them quite deep.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline wtaylorc14

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2019, 03:25:54 PM »
Confirmed.  And it is more like a very rapid buzz, unlike some of the other systems I have used (which are slow or pulse).  Plus, at least in my case, it is extraordinarily rare I ever have it kick in.

Oh, and my [original] front rotors [~39K mi] are way far from being "smooth", they have lots of longitudinal grooves.  Some of them quite deep.

Honestly, it's not something I notice any longer.. it was when I first got the bike.. but I believe its what Blues was saying.. just pads grabbing.. I do have that "shhhhhhhhh" sound when front brake is applied.  Could be just needs some cleaning.  Glad to hear the longitudinal groves are "Normal"  Mine are not too bad I don't think.
2008 ABS C14

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2019, 03:26:48 PM »
the brushing sound is not abnormal, and those of us using EBC pads(which may be on your bike now, a they are the most common ones acceptable to use) do this sound... no big deal.
As others have commented, when the ABS kicks in, you WILL notice it... just don't freak out and release the brakes if in a panic stop... they do work, trust them,  and they DO give a distinct "feedback buzzz"... that is fine.

a for the Chinese rotors, they are all over e-bay..
I don't really care for BikeMaster brakes, and especially Vesra brake pads, back a while ago there were some issues with Pad's delaminating from the backing plates, so I just scratched both those from my "recommended list"
check around, and also ask here which rotors people bought.. you'll get multiple opinions, just like asking what tire or oil to buy... sort thru them..
Like I noted, you probably don't "need" new rotors, some roughness and grooving is normal... and if you bought new rotors, you would wisely use NEW pads on install .... so if/when your pads wear out, then do the whole ball-o-wax...

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline wtaylorc14

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2019, 08:16:07 PM »
the brushing sound is not abnormal, and those of us using EBC pads(which may be on your bike now, a they are the most common ones acceptable to use) do this sound... no big deal.
As others have commented, when the ABS kicks in, you WILL notice it... just don't freak out and release the brakes if in a panic stop... they do work, trust them,  and they DO give a distinct "feedback buzzz"... that is fine.

a for the Chinese rotors, they are all over e-bay..
I don't really care for BikeMaster brakes, and especially Vesra brake pads, back a while ago there were some issues with Pad's delaminating from the backing plates, so I just scratched both those from my "recommended list"
check around, and also ask here which rotors people bought.. you'll get multiple opinions, just like asking what tire or oil to buy... sort thru them..

Good to know.  I was hoping this was "normal" and I could address it next time I change pads.  Saw some of those rotors on ebay... yeah, sets for $150. Curious to know how they hold up. Thanks again
Like I noted, you probably don't "need" new rotors, some roughness and grooving is normal... and if you bought new rotors, you would wisely use NEW pads on install .... so if/when your pads wear out, then do the whole ball-o-wax...
2008 ABS C14