Author Topic: Request For Suggestion: Hand Numbness  (Read 10353 times)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Re: Request For Suggestion: Hand Numbness
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2011, 09:22:48 PM »
I don't mean any insult, and I hope you take this the right way but I have a mental image I just cannot shake of what you describe and it is hilarious. Bubble wrap duct taped to the grip.... TOO GOOD!  ;D  You know I bet if you parked the bike set up like that and put a tin cup on the top of the tank people would throw change into it out of sympathy.  ;D ;D ;D

And yes, I can see where the bubble wrap breaking down would be the downfall of that idea.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Brian

<snip>

What I found worked really well was duct taping bubble wrap around my grips for a long trip....

<snip>

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Two Skies

• Arena
  • Road? What road?!?
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2011, 10:01:50 PM »
They were smaller (1/2" or so) bubbles in a sheet I got from Murph with a shipment, so he might sell ya a sheet...
 ;D

You couldn't see the bubbles though.  The Gaff tape (basically black duct tape) was wrapped in such a way that you couldn't see the bubble wrap, and I wrapped the bubble wrap in the direction of the throttle twisting, so it wouldn't unravel as I applied throttle.  Actually worked quite well for a few weeks, until I removed it to install the gel grips.

These days, though, my Connie is rather bruised from a few falls, so the cup idea may be in order...
 :-[
2006 w/50,000+ miles and a few bruises.

MCL Fork Brace & Handlebar Risers.  Bergmen Quick Release Tank Kit, Pilot GT Front/Avon Venom Rear tire.  Trunk w/spoiler.  NGK DR8EIX plugs.  Piece of foam in airbox.  Beads on seat.  Bafflectomized.  Murphs Kneesavers & Fuse Block.  Cee Bailey Winscreen w/vent.  Heated grips.  'Custom' mirrors.

Offline one54dodgetruck

« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2011, 10:30:07 PM »
What I found worked really well was duct taping bubble wrap around my grips for a long trip, but the bubbles break down. 
hehehe long boring straight streches.... pop pop pop pop

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2011, 10:37:31 PM »
hehehe long boring straight streches.... pop pop pop pop

:rotflmao:
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2011, 06:41:45 AM »
Olympia gel gloves are excellent.......throttle locker is excellent.......Pro Grip 714's "Murphs Grips" are excellent.....grip puppies are excellent "absorb water though"......might try a bit heavier bar ends too.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline CrashKLRtoConnie

« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2011, 04:33:10 PM »
Thank you, everyone, that posted your thoughts  ;D

Just got rained on heavy, for the first time on the connie. I guess been lucky so far, just forgot to check the internet ...
2008 C14 GTR1400 AKA "Connie"

Offline Murph

« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2011, 08:36:28 PM »
Crash

try our buzzless bar wieghts, if they don't help I'll take the them back. We've had a hard time keeping them in stock this year! 8)

Murph
COG 3769
Industry Member

Offline CrashKLRtoConnie

« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2011, 07:36:31 AM »
Thanks again. I am working on the wife to let me send more on the bike, but for the next month things are tight. .... Yosemite Camping and Vegas Trip (Car Camping With Friends) and need a tent ... etc

Offline Timalan

• www.thismotorcyclelife.net
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2011, 07:43:19 AM »
ride the bike more, and stop squeezing the grip.
it's a common issue when you are riding this bike, and just relaxing and placing your hands ON the bars, without a death grip will cure it.
it comes with time and trust in the bike, relief that is...

this is what I had to learn. Relax and let loose of the bars. Bike rides better anyway. I had to release the spring one wind on the FJR to accomplish this though. It took a death grip to keep the throttle on.
Squeeze when using the clutch and the brake. Relax the rest of the time.

Offline Uglydog56

• I'd rather be lucky than good.
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2011, 09:37:28 AM »
I realized I also had anger issues toward handlebars and steering wheels.  Learning to grip the handlebars gently (like squeezing a grape) made a huge change.  I do wear gloves with padded palms.  Attempt to carry your weight in your core and legs.
Rick A. Cone
COG #9186
98 Connie, 76 CB400F

Offline Conrad

« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2011, 10:35:32 AM »
On another front....

My doctor suggested taking vitamin B6 for my hand numbness. There's been some research that indicates that B6 may help some people. Google it and do some reading and judge for yourself. I've been taking 100mg a day for a couple of years now. It can't hurt.

Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline CrashKLRtoConnie

« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2011, 08:36:36 AM »
Wife got me some B-Complex & B12 supplements.

I looked at the label and found out B Complex does not contain B6 ......

Offline biknmike

« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2011, 08:48:59 AM »
This idea was brought up in another forum and I tried it with great success, and it does not cost anything.  Remove the end weights (6mm allen) and install a washer about .060" thick between the end weight and the bar end.  Then retorque to 8 lb/ft.  Changing the torque by as little as .5 lb/ft can change the RPM range that the vibrations are felt at.  I played with different torques until I found 8 was best for me.  Sounds strange, but it does not cost anything to try and it really helped me.

I also have 2" risers and a set of grip puppies.

Good luck
'10 C14 ABS, E55 with Admore light kit and Phil's Rack

Offline throb

« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2011, 07:54:51 PM »
Seriously?  I was thinking about buying heavier weights, but thought I will just strap the extra weight to the existing ones to see if it matters.  Now I will try this too.  Not that the buzz is bad by any stretch, but it's there.
'05 Concours, SISF's 2 min jet mod and exhaust cam sprocket, snarf's block off plates, risers, SS lines, fork brace, T-Cro's stick coils & shift linkage, ZZR1200 rear shock, MS rear wheel.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2011, 04:53:13 AM »
Wife got me some B-Complex & B12 supplements.

I looked at the label and found out B Complex does not contain B6 ......

No B6 in there at all?

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline CrashKLRtoConnie

« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2011, 10:49:26 AM »
B-1, B-2, Niacin, Protease = B-Complex from CVS. Wife got me some B-6. So trying it out.
Thanks
Brent

Offline Conrad

« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2011, 11:09:12 AM »
B-1, B-2, Niacin, Protease = B-Complex from CVS. Wife got me some B-6. So trying it out.
Thanks
Brent

Did you do some reading on this? They were recommending 100 - 200 mg per day. I took the low side of the dosage.