The C-14, aka Kawasaki Concours-14, the new one :) > Accessories and modifications - C14/GTR 1400

C14 Seats: Touring vs Stock dilemma

(1/5) > >>

jimboni:
Pretty happy with the Sargent that came on my 12, but I wanted to try the new Kaw touring seat part no 99994-0500. So I ordered one.

I received the new seat but the part no is 53066-0465 (-0464 is also etched on the seat pan). Parts fiches show this as the stock seat from the last couple of model years and the 99994 seat as the accessory touring seat. Two different part numbers and listed in two different sections of the fiche. So I sent that one back and ordered a 99994 seat from another vendor. I received the exact same part no ... a 53066 seat!  Funny though, both seats came in boxes labeled as 99994 touring seats with inner packaging labeled as 53066 seats.

Am I a conspiracy theorist for thinking one of the distributors is trying to unload difficult to sell stock seats, or are these the very same seat but with a different part number?

just gone:

--- Quote from: jimboni on July 04, 2020, 04:12:28 PM ---Pretty happy with the Sargent that came on my 12, but I wanted to try the new Kaw touring seat part no 99994-0500. So I ordered one.

I received the new seat but the part no is 53066-0465 (-0464 is also etched on the seat pan). Parts fiches show this as the stock seat from the last couple of model years and the 99994 seat as the accessory touring seat. Two different part numbers and listed in two different sections of the fiche. So I sent that one back and ordered a 99994 seat from another vendor. I received the exact same part no ... a 53066 seat!  Funny though, both seats came in boxes labeled as 99994 touring seats with inner packaging labeled as 53066 seats.

Am I a conspiracy theorist for thinking one of the distributors is trying to unload difficult to sell stock seats, or are these the very same seat but with a different part number?

--- End quote ---

I think the seats are visibly different on the outside. The touring seat has visible stitching around the  passenger area as well as the front. The the newer stock seat only has visible stitching around the front area. Are there internal differences between the seat pan and the cover that make the touring seat more comfortable? ...or is it the placebo effect making it feel more comfy?
I'm waiting for someone with deep pockets and a band saw to tell us.

FTB530:
I have a touring seat, post a picture of the one you received and let’s compare.

jimboni:
Thanks for the descriptive help. I can't seem to get my pics to attach. Comparing the seat to stock photos and the accessory catalog photos, the 53066 "looks" like the 99994 touring seat. Stitching and cover matches. But I do not have a stock seat to compare thickness. The p/n 99994 is nowhere on the seat pan, only the 53066 number.

Regardless, it does not make sense for the same seat to have two different part numbers and Iisted in two different sections of the parts diagrams. Overthinking? Probably. If it weren't such an expensive seat I'd mount it up and try it but then I own it.

Am I wrong to expect factory parts to have only one specific part number?

FTB530:

--- Quote from: jimboni on July 06, 2020, 09:29:36 AM ---Thanks for the descriptive help. I can't seem to get my pics to attach. Comparing the seat to stock photos and the accessory catalog photos, the 53066 "looks" like the 99994 touring seat. Stitching and cover matches. But I do not have a stock seat to compare thickness. The p/n 99994 is nowhere on the seat pan, only the 53066 number.

Regardless, it does not make sense for the same seat to have two different part numbers and Iisted in two different sections of the parts diagrams. Overthinking? Probably. If it weren't such an expensive seat I'd mount it up and try it but then I own it.

Am I wrong to expect factory parts to have only one specific part number?

Seems to me the seat should only have one part number! A guy was trying to sell a seat on eBay as a Kawasaki touring seat  and it wasn’t one, I,let him know but he left the add up the same.

--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version