Author Topic: bought an xr1200  (Read 2469 times)

Offline eng943

bought an xr1200
« on: November 15, 2013, 05:42:28 PM »
Without offending any Harley lovers, the XR was the only Harley that has ever appealed to me. It actually turns, and stops ;D

So being a fan of flat track racing, I finally submitted and bought a used 09 XR in Harley orange for 6k. I have no interest in the Harley lifestyle, or becoming a member of that crowd per 'se, but I really like this little XR. It is the polar opposite to my K16GT, and it's not made anymore which makes it somewhat rare.

I showed up at the dealer on delivery day with my Aerostitch and high vis Arai, and they looked at me like I was nuts as I climbed aboard!

2017 C14 - AST Risers / Peg Lowering kit / mccruise /Garmin 595/Shoodaben MR / Area P / Kawi Touring Seat.
Second Bike 2017 BMW R12R

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: bought an xr1200
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2013, 05:53:43 PM »
Haha, a power ranger pirate. Congrats on the Sporty. The XR should be a fun bike.

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2013, 11:58:26 AM »
so... what are the vital stats of this heresy bike machine?
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline Toxz Qwaste

• Arena
  • stuff & things
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2013, 02:00:14 PM »
Congrats on the new ride. I'm not a "lifestyler" either but there are a few American machines that I would own. The XR is one of them. I'm also a *gasp* Buell fan. A buddy of mine had a Sporster 1200S with a high mounted supertrapp on it a few years back that I wish I could have owned. What a sound. Some of our "lifestyler" buddies couldn't make heads or tails out of that machine.
Good luck with it.

Offline eng943

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2013, 04:52:50 PM »
Congrats on the new ride. I'm not a "lifestyler" either but there are a few American machines that I would own. The XR is one of them. I'm also a *gasp* Buell fan. A buddy of mine had a Sporster 1200S with a high mounted supertrapp on it a few years back that I wish I could have owned. What a sound. Some of our "lifestyler" buddies couldn't make heads or tails out of that machine.
Good luck with it.

Isn't that funny? They don't get the XR either, hence it was dropped in spite of strong sales in Europe. Vance & Hines makes a nice set up for the XR, which I may spring for. Not too loud, but a bit more fitting of the XR's flat track inspiration.

I liked the Buell stuff as well, and when Buell went away and the XR was out, I thought Harley might try to make something for buyers that enjot sportier riding. Nope....

If I had some "mad money", it would be fun to throw on some Ohlins, light weight wheels with 17" front, have the motor built up a little.   
2017 C14 - AST Risers / Peg Lowering kit / mccruise /Garmin 595/Shoodaben MR / Area P / Kawi Touring Seat.
Second Bike 2017 BMW R12R