Author Topic: 70k on the rear Hub  (Read 4564 times)

Offline Pfloydgad

• When I was a child, I caught a fleeting glimpse
70k on the rear Hub
« on: May 17, 2011, 11:23:47 AM »
Well I finally got a few pics of the rr hub coupler I had to replace last week.
Wow is all I can say about its demise. I was totally surprised by its damage, but it was almost completly hidden when it was mounted on the wheel.
 It is such a tight fit,  the edges on the splines, that weren't gone hid the middle, grab area of the shafts connection to the hub.
My suggestion to all, if you have a rainy day, or your changing a rear tire, take the time to un-clip the set ring, pull your hub coupler and check it out. It's one of the easiest things to miss as far as a wear item on our beloved Connies.
Everyone be safe out there.
Greg
Why did we have to run for cover with the promise of a brave new world unfold beneath the clear blue sky ?

Offline Toxz Qwaste

• Arena
  • stuff & things
Re: 70k on the rear Hub
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 11:28:33 AM »
I tried to pull mine apart the last time I had the opportunity. It would not budge after I removed the retainer. Got any advice for a future attempt?

Offline Pfloydgad

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 11:30:49 AM »
Grab a bottle of window cleaner, or make up a soapy solution and doust the rubber cussions through the holes. Then use a large cresent wrench and grip through the holes and start working it. It will come off, but sometimes the rubber cushions stick tight and need some encouragement.
Greg
Why did we have to run for cover with the promise of a brave new world unfold beneath the clear blue sky ?

Offline Toxz Qwaste

• Arena
  • stuff & things
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 11:37:30 AM »
Thanks. I did try that method but didn't go too agressive because I didn't want to break anything. I thought I might missing something that wasn't covered in the manual. Next time I will exert my full will on it.

Offline Boomer343

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 12:08:57 PM »
I caught mine when it was about halfway through. Couple of hard on and off cycles and it would have looked like yours.

Once there is play in the splines it doesn't take long.

This really needs to come off the wheel for a proper inspection and cleaning before relubing.

Offline Bmcush

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2011, 04:12:12 PM »
I really appreciate you taking the time to post those pic's.  Definately a warning to all, lube those splines every tire change!!

Offline Pfloydgad

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2011, 06:15:25 AM »
In talking with our wonderful knowledg base members here, the coupler was changed by Mama Kaw somewhere after 93 or so. To my understanding, the coupler became more of a wear item, mostly to save the spline gear on the pig. The coupler is a lot cheaper then the pig and its gearing. A good call by Kaw, just research a new pig and you will see why.
Lubing will help, but it is still going to wear.
Ride safe all.
Greg

Offline Uded2me

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2011, 07:34:09 AM »
d e a d
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 09:05:10 PM by knight_mare »

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2011, 09:17:01 AM »
that's the way they all go...working fine, then nothing, and with the bike on te center stand there is enough contact to spin the wheel but not enough to drive the bike...seen it a dozen times in the last few years.
Get the rear wheel spinning good and clamp the brakes on hard, you will hear the sound of the splines grinding off the coupler really well if it's worn that far....

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline Bmcush

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2011, 02:41:22 PM »
I wonder what been Don Ricks experience with these parts, he's traveled some 500K on the Concours

Offline DaveO430

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2011, 08:14:55 PM »
I suppose the best lube for this is moly paste? Works on anything with drive splines.

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2011, 08:34:02 PM »
I suppose the best lube for this is moly paste? Works on anything with drive splines.

That is correct....
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline Coyote Chris

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2011, 10:36:11 PM »
For those of us using extended wearing tires, how often should we take the wheel off and grease this?  My E3s have 18,000 miles on them.
Chris COG 5807