Author Topic: Need front brakes!  (Read 2949 times)

Offline Bosgarage57

Need front brakes!
« on: May 20, 2011, 01:01:12 PM »
alright guys. I'm in need of some front brakes. I don't know if I want the galfer or the ebc from murphs. Any suggestions?

Offline GF-in-CA

Re: Need front brakes!
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2011, 01:10:35 PM »
Of the pads that Murph sells, I highly recommend the EBC HH (sintered) pads for the front.  They have the highest friction coefficient, and will make the stock C10 brakes as good as they can be.  They are said to wear the rotors more than the organic compound, but I think it is a minor difference compared to the added stopping power.  I would recommend either the Galfers or EBC organic/ kevlars for the rear, but others have had a good experience with the HH's on the rear also.

HTH,
Gary F.
1998 C10
California North State

Offline Roadhound

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2011, 02:37:53 PM »
I'll second the info Gary gave you. I wouldn't think of using anything but HH pads on the front of a C10. I do like the organic pads on the rear as they do help to keep the rear from being too touchy.  In my experience the HH pads really don't wear the rotors any more than the Organic pads do. I have always had excellent results with the EBC pads, recommend them highly.
Don Ricks
Atlanta, Ga.

"Ride or Ride not, there is no drive."

Offline gtr1000

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2011, 02:53:17 PM »
+1 for HH on the front but I also use em on the rear. Just my personal preference  :)
Paul OTP (near Windsor, GB).

06 C-10, 2009 to .....
A5 C-10, 2000 to 2009.

Offline Two Skies

• Arena
  • Road? What road?!?
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2011, 04:09:59 PM »
I picked up the Carbon Lorraine sintered pads from Murph.  I still have stock, rebuilt calipers, and am VERY happy with how the Carbon Lorraine's are performing.  Firm but not grabby in normal conditions, and a very smooth grab in tenser situations.  At least that's been my experience, being a smaller guy with a full trunk of tools, etc.  Very decent performance in rain as well, although I haven't had a scary pucker moment that didn't involve snow/ice with them yet...

I put new 'stock' pads on the rear, because I didn't want a grabby rear wheel, so no change there.  I'll have to look up what exactly I put on...
2006 w/50,000+ miles and a few bruises.

MCL Fork Brace & Handlebar Risers.  Bergmen Quick Release Tank Kit, Pilot GT Front/Avon Venom Rear tire.  Trunk w/spoiler.  NGK DR8EIX plugs.  Piece of foam in airbox.  Beads on seat.  Bafflectomized.  Murphs Kneesavers & Fuse Block.  Cee Bailey Winscreen w/vent.  Heated grips.  'Custom' mirrors.

Offline throb

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2011, 06:48:43 PM »
Same here;  EBC HH pads up front and Galfer GG's in back.  Very good combo IMHO.
'05 Concours, SISF's 2 min jet mod and exhaust cam sprocket, snarf's block off plates, risers, SS lines, fork brace, T-Cro's stick coils & shift linkage, ZZR1200 rear shock, MS rear wheel.

Offline Leo

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2011, 08:49:02 PM »
I have EBC pads on the bike right now.  Since this is my 3rd Concours, I have tried other brands also, including the Gaffers.  Any of the premium grade performance brake pads all seem to do a good job.  My favorite combo on the C-10 is the EBC HH pads on front and the lower performance EBC Kevlar pads on the back where my size 12 boots press too hard on the brake pedal. 
Yep, still riding the old one

In Indiana, missing Texas

Offline DarrellB

• Arena
  • If your going to ride. Ride. Forget the trailer
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2011, 09:10:14 PM »
Great info. I will be needing rear pads soon. They were about half worn when I bought it 3 months ago.
02 Connie with 06 Skin

Offline Bosgarage57

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2011, 12:09:24 PM »
Thanks everyone! I'll order some on Monday.  It seems that my front is sticking making it VERY hard for me to back up when the bikes cold.  After I use the brakes some on the road it loosens up.  thanks again everyone.

Offline Leo

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2011, 05:04:29 PM »
If your bike's front brakes are sticking, it is likely that you have some crudded up (or rusted up) caliper pistons or the caliper is not sliding in the mount properly.  Pads alone do not make it hard to back a bike out.  When you go to change the pads, DO NOT squeeze the pistons back in until you make sure they are clean.  Make special note of the caliper slides.  I use lubriplate white Lithium grease and some folks use antiseize.   You might want to order caliper seals to be ready when you take it apart, as well as have some 0000 grade steel wool handy.   Good Luck

PS:  Over the last 35 years, I have come to believe that there is benefit to changing the brake fluid annually.   I have far less rust and corrosion in the calipers than when I thought it was not needed.
Yep, still riding the old one

In Indiana, missing Texas