Author Topic: Austin TX shop/mechanic recommendations?  (Read 2524 times)

Offline KretonsLC

Austin TX shop/mechanic recommendations?
« on: March 05, 2019, 10:21:14 AM »
Posted this on COG forum and wanted to check here too.  I need to have the first valve clearance check done in the next few months, and am hoping a fellow Austin area Connie owner can provide guidance on a good place to have this done.

I've already thoroughly researched what's involved and have determined it's not something I want to attempt myself at this time.  So I just ask that any responses be limited to experience with an Austin shop performing a valve check on a Connie or maybe knowing someone who did who was satisfied with the job.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
Re: Austin TX shop/mechanic recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2019, 01:52:59 PM »
I had a good experience with Woods Fun Center at Braker Lane at I-35.. I don't remember the total cost but thought it was reasonable at the time. They provided a before and after clearance map and I think they had to bike for 2 days.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2019, 03:24:01 PM »
I need to have the first valve clearance check done[...]I've already thoroughly researched what's involved and have determined it's not something I want to attempt myself at this time.

Can't blame ya on that.  I still have never had mine done.  Waiting on my mechanic friend, who got married, then moved, then lots of house work.... then got cancer.  Then went through treatment and is now, finally, better.  Just hasn't been a good time in years now.  Maybe this year it will happen.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline KretonsLC

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2019, 07:49:00 AM »
I had a good experience with Woods Fun Center at Braker Lane at I-35.. I don't remember the total cost but thought it was reasonable at the time. They provided a before and after clearance map and I think they had to bike for 2 days.

Thanks Rhino.  Yesterday I got what sounded like a real reasonable quote of $400 from Texas Powersports on Hwy. 290 towards Dripping Springs, so may go with them since they're fairly close and drop off/pick up wouldn't be too much of a hassle.  But will probably still check with Woods since I would like a before/after clearance map too.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2019, 10:30:22 AM »
Thanks Rhino.  Yesterday I got what sounded like a real reasonable quote of $400 from Texas Powersports on Hwy. 290 towards Dripping Springs, so may go with them since they're fairly close and drop off/pick up wouldn't be too much of a hassle.  But will probably still check with Woods since I would like a before/after clearance map too.

I live near Dripping Springs and have been in there but surprised they are open now. They are typically closed in the winter. Would be very interested to hear how they do.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2019, 04:29:09 PM »

I'm adding a shim chart to this response...
make sure you download the file, and print 3 copies of it, and hand them to the person performing the work... they are priceless when the time comes for doing the "second inspection" later in time, as you will now have the recorded values of the "actual" shims in place, and can simplify the whole process of "what" is in there, and "which" shims need to be bought, without even removing the cams...

seriously, make sure you get this info,and save it... and it will $ave valuable hour$$ of "labor" next go around...

I cannot stress just how important making the tech fill this sheet out completely and correctly for you, it is...

It is twofold, first.. it insures that the valves were actually inspected...
we have seen a huge amount of "verbal" responses from techs, that they "checked them, and all were fine/within limits"... this circumvents this scenario...

secondly, it documents it all, and can be used later, and even passed on to whomever you may sell it to, giving them a warm and fuzzy confidence it was maintained...

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2019, 06:54:08 PM »
+1
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline KretonsLC

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2019, 11:42:14 AM »
I'm adding a shim chart to this response...
make sure you download the file, and print 3 copies of it, and hand them to the person performing the work... they are priceless when the time comes for doing the "second inspection" later in time, as you will now have the recorded values of the "actual" shims in place, and can simplify the whole process of "what" is in there, and "which" shims need to be bought, without even removing the cams...

seriously, make sure you get this info,and save it... and it will $ave valuable hour$$ of "labor" next go around...

I cannot stress just how important making the tech fill this sheet out completely and correctly for you, it is...

It is twofold, first.. it insures that the valves were actually inspected...
we have seen a huge amount of "verbal" responses from techs, that they "checked them, and all were fine/within limits"... this circumvents this scenario...

secondly, it documents it all, and can be used later, and even passed on to whomever you may sell it to, giving them a warm and fuzzy confidence it was maintained...

MOB - Thanks for the chart and great advice - very much appreciated!

Offline olie

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2019, 06:17:43 PM »
I was happy with Woods with their work 2 months ago...
13 Blue Connie, 8/4/2013
16 Green Versys 1k
11 Red Vette

Offline KretonsLC

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2019, 07:12:23 AM »
I was happy with Woods with their work 2 months ago...

Thanks - mind if I ask what they charged?

Offline olie

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2019, 08:08:49 AM »
I had other things done including tires, water pump, gear indicator switch, etc... it was a package price and some items were under warranty.
13 Blue Connie, 8/4/2013
16 Green Versys 1k
11 Red Vette

Offline olie

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2019, 08:39:10 PM »
 how was your service at Texas Powersports?? ...for sure the quoted price was very cheap. I hope you are happy with the service.
13 Blue Connie, 8/4/2013
16 Green Versys 1k
11 Red Vette

Offline KretonsLC

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2019, 11:48:34 AM »
how was your service at Texas Powersports?? ...for sure the quoted price was very cheap. I hope you are happy with the service.

Should know soon.  I hope to have it back tomorrow.  I asked them to check the throttle bodies sync as well.

Offline KretonsLC

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2019, 06:18:33 PM »

Got it back last Friday.  Cost was $493.62 which included replacing the head gasket from which some oil was seeping.  Valves were all in spec and they provided me with the actual clearances using one of the charts I got on the COG forum.  I asked them to check to see if the TB's needed syncing and they said they were fine.

So they were a little less than what Woods quoted and a lot more convenient since I live in SW Austin.  That said though, the owner said it took a lot longer that what Kawasaki says it should take (4 hours), and lightheartedly said they'll be charging more on future Connie valve jobs.   Real nice guys - will definitely use them again for any major servicing I can't handle.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 06:49:43 PM by KretonsLC »

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2019, 07:35:33 PM »
Valves were all in spec and they provided me with the actual clearances [...]  I asked them to check to see if the TB's needed syncing and they said they were fine.

Year?  Mileage? # of times done?

Offline KretonsLC

« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2019, 10:02:46 AM »
Year?  Mileage? # of times done?

'12 - 26,671 - 1st time (I think).

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2019, 12:02:27 PM »
'12 - 26,671 - 1st time (I think).

;D