Author Topic: Connie 14 rod bearing noise (or why does my C14 rattle in the morning?)  (Read 42856 times)

Offline Ron Dawg

• Arena
  • a/k/a ron203
I always wondered how often the APE tensioner needs adjustment or does it?
2014 C-14 Red

Offline smokin

I was wanting to know the part number of the adjustable timing chain tensioner ?
SONS OF ARTHRITIS RIDE HARD MEDICATE OFTEN.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
I think this one is what you want.... 

http://ape-store.com/shopsite/page6.html
KTZX14
$59.95
Kawasaki ZX14 ('06-'09)

Offline Rhino

• Arena
I always wondered how often the APE tensioner needs adjustment or does it?

It's been about 10,000 miles and I haven't re-adjusted mine yet.

Offline Ron Dawg

• Arena
  • a/k/a ron203
Okay. Another dumb question. Do you wait until it makes noise or what? I have no idea. Thanks.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 04:14:24 PM by Ron Dawg »
2014 C-14 Red

Offline smokin

I look at it this way, my GTR1400 has covered only 10,000kms,rattle has stopped but I am going to purchase a manual adjuster for future reference. There is a fair chance that later down the track the chain tensioner rattle will become a concern.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
Okay. Another dumb question. Do wait until it makes noise or what? I have no idea. Thanks.

I put about 55,000 miles on mine before I put the APE CCT on. It would alway rattle on startup but then it got to the point it would rattle at idle. Come to a stop light and the thing sounded like a diesel. That did it for me.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
It isn't supposed to do that after it starts.  Maybe something wrong with the Kwackers adjuster or you're using the wrong oil in it.  :popcorn:
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
It isn't supposed to do that after it starts.  Maybe something wrong with the Kwackers adjuster or you're using the wrong oil in it.  :popcorn:

I thought about oil and tried different oils. No change. My theory is this: the Kwacker OEM CCT has way too much slop in the ratchet mechanism. Brian had a great post on this with pictures awhile ago. Each notch is at least 1/16" or more and the spring is in a slot that is almost 1/8" wide. Meaning there is almost 1/4" slop between ratchet or no ratchet. If you happen to have a bike that the cam chain is just the right length that under oil pressure the CCT almost but doesn't quite latch, then when oil pressure goes down it backs off almost 1/4". Bad design IMO. The teeth could be closer together and the slot could be thinner with almost no change in cost.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
I was kidding about the oil.... ;)
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
I was kidding about the oil.... ;)

Actually I didn't think it was a bad suggestion. I'm one of those that use Rotella T6 5W40. And I thought maybe it was too thin. So I tried Mobil 1 4T 10W-40. Made no difference at all.

Offline smokin

Try Motul 10w 60 that will push the adjuster ratchet to the next position.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
Try Motul 10w 60 that will push the adjuster ratchet to the next position.

Maybe I should try STP  ;D

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Right........

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
 :) Stop The Pistons

Offline connie14boy

:) Stop The Pistons

Scientifically Treated ****

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
Stop Teasing Pollocks
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline connie14boy

Stop Teasing Pollocks

I have observed that political correctness has killed a lot of ethnic jokes the last 30 years..

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Wow...way to jump to conclusions...maybe he was talking about the fish.

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
Wow...way to jump to conclusions...maybe he was talking about the fish.

Nope, I'm Polish.  :rotflmao:
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....