Author Topic: Marty wants an honest answer......  (Read 6625 times)

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
Re: Marty wants an honest answer......
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2018, 09:54:34 AM »
Only one reason Marty, money.
Perhaps the artificial flavors are less expensive?

Not hardly, where do you think the terms "dirt cheap" and "free $#!+" come from.

Perhaps either Clinton or Trump owns the company that manufactures said artificial flavors?

Didn't think of that did ya?    ;)
Well, you got me there, no I didn't think of that.   ;D

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2018, 11:27:08 AM »
Not hardly, where do you think the terms "dirt cheap" and "free $#!+" come from.
Well, you got me there, no I didn't think of that.   ;D

Most of us just want to work, earn an honest living, raise a family and have some protection from the latest Genghis threat.
This is what we have:
A president who acts like a King and is above any counsel.
A leader who denigrates war heroes, and mocks disabled people even though they are sometimes a jerk.
A known money grubber who comes from a long line of grubbers.
A person who thinks they are above the law, and laws are for little people.
Has no respect for women or even his own daughter when talking to Howard Stern (of all people).
Is a lousy wrestler.
Won't show his tax records because his 'base' would crap their skivvies if they knew he didn't pay any taxes.
I'm sure 'ol Fred paid the Wharton School a huge legacy tuition to get the Donald in- this guy is so stupid, even his hand picked cabinet calls him an idiot.
I refuse to vote for either corrupt party if their 'candidates' are as bad as the last cycle, and probably everyone on this forum has a similar view. The lesser of 2 evils only works when you have no good options- very sad indeed.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2018, 11:37:32 AM »
Well there we go- I made some bad assumptions based on a little information that really did not give me cause for those assumptions. My apologies but no matter what, I do not have any opinions about what others' opinions on various subjects may be anyway so it was not meant in any negative way.

One thing I have found is pretty common though is that certain groups of people tend to lean a certain way, generally. This forum, for example, I believe tends to have more conservative members than the general population because pro- motorcycle people tend not to be liberal, again generally. From there, a whole string of other generalities and tendencies that I believe apply to a group such as this one. Again, not any kind of rule or anything approaching 100%, just a different percentage than the entire population.

Brian

You are correct Brian, mostly. You're not the only person on this forum to assume that I would be pro union, I am not. I've never been a member of any union nor had I any desire to be so. Some of the folks working at the university (NIU) were members of a union (AFSCME). From my point of view that union never did anything for them, other than to protect the lazy workers that is. Again, that's my point of view only.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2018, 12:28:00 PM »
I refuse to vote for either corrupt party if their 'candidates' are as bad as the last cycle, and probably everyone on this forum has a similar view. The lesser of 2 evils only works when you have no good options- very sad indeed.

Unfortunately, refusing to vote doesn't help matters either.  It might send a message, but one that apparently nobody cares about.  Both major "parties" are terribly corrupt.  Although, I will still vote for the lesser of two evils, which is mostly the party that believes in less spending, less debt, less taxes, and less government.  Everything is relative since neither will make major progress in that direction, although one tends to more than the other.

What we need are additional parties and independents.  That will FORCE the major parties to be responsive, get new blood in the power mix, prevent spoilers, give voters more choice, and help stop "single issue" campaigns.  But our system of "first past the post" ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First-past-the-post_voting ) makes it all but impossible due to a huge "spoiler effect" ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spoiler_effect ).  The only solution is to change the WAY we vote (for everything- primaries, legislative branch, executive branch, State and Federal), by moving to some form of ranked voting system ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ranked_voting ).  Unfortunately:

1) Such change is difficult.
2) Such change costs money.
3) Changing to a ranked system absolutely does not benefit either major party, so they will do anything they can to trash or prevent the idea from spreading.

On the plus side, it doesn't have to be an all or nothing situation since States control how voting is performed for/by their State, they have the individual power to do something without having to drag the rest of the country along.  Right now, Maine is the ONLY State to do so, (although some localities throughout the nation do use it) and it is a major event:

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2018/04/ranked-choice-voting-maine/557669/

But still, it is only for State elections, not for their Federal ones.  But it is a start.  One that needs to spread.

http://www.fairvote.org/
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2018, 03:39:17 PM »
This forum, for example, I believe tends to have more conservative members than the general population because pro- motorcycle people tend not to be liberal, again generally.

It doesn't appear that I'm going to get any more honest answers to my question....so I might as well jump in.

I think you are correct (yes, as you said generally), but I think it has more to do with age. These days pro-motorcycle people tend to be older (same with this forum), and older people tend to be more conservative. Back in the sixties when it seems the U.S. motorcycle population exploded, motorcyclists were not considered very conservative at all.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2018, 03:56:20 PM »
I think you can take a poll Marty- that should get you more answers. ??

Brian

It doesn't appear that I'm going to get any more honest answers to my question....so I might as well jump in.

I think you are correct (yes, as you said generally), but I think it has more to do with age. These days pro-motorcycle people tend to be older (same with this forum), and older people tend to be more conservative. Back in the sixties when it seems the U.S. motorcycle population exploded, motorcyclists were not considered very conservative at all.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2018, 04:04:35 PM »
I think you can take a poll Marty- that should get you more answers. ??
Yes, I should have started that way, probably too late now.
 I think I know the answer for most based on the experiences I've had (I'm not talking about here). I was just looking for verification or repudiation. I screwed it up.  :( ::)
Oh well, at least I got the poll about V'Jim's new avatar right.  8)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2018, 05:05:38 PM »
Yet, I'm still using the new one...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2018, 07:55:05 PM »
Yet, I'm still using the new one...

Yeah well, it's not like polls ever changed anything. They just provide information, at least you know how the poll respondents thought about it.
I didn't think it would make you care.  :)

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2018, 08:57:47 PM »
Unfortunately, refusing to vote doesn't help matters either.  It might send a message, but one that apparently nobody cares about.  Both major "parties" are terribly corrupt.  Although, I will still vote for the lesser of two evils, which is mostly the party that believes in less spending, less debt, less taxes, and less government.  Everything is relative since neither will make major progress in that direction, although one tends to more than the other.

What we need are additional parties and independents.  That will FORCE the major parties to be responsive, get new blood in the power mix, prevent spoilers, give voters more choice, and help stop "single issue" campaigns.  But our system of "first past the post" ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First-past-the-post_voting ) makes it all but impossible due to a huge "spoiler effect" ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spoiler_effect ).  The only solution is to change the WAY we vote (for everything- primaries, legislative branch, executive branch, State and Federal), by moving to some form of ranked voting system ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ranked_voting ).  Unfortunately:

1) Such change is difficult.
2) Such change costs money.
3) Changing to a ranked system absolutely does not benefit either major party, so they will do anything they can to trash or prevent the idea from spreading.

On the plus side, it doesn't have to be an all or nothing situation since States control how voting is performed for/by their State, they have the individual power to do something without having to drag the rest of the country along.  Right now, Maine is the ONLY State to do so, (although some localities throughout the nation do use it) and it is a major event:

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2018/04/ranked-choice-voting-maine/557669/

But still, it is only for State elections, not for their Federal ones.  But it is a start.  One that needs to spread.

http://www.fairvote.org/

Max, I agree that not voting is not a solution, but only to 'thine own self be true'. I have been a registered Republican for 44 years, but now I usually vote the person, not the party because of so much obfuscation in both parties. I am ashamed to hold up the POTUS to my grandkids because of prostitution, continual controversies and 'name calling' his adversaries like a bratty 8 year old bully. A least he got a huge tax break for all his 'base'. Wait, what? When money grubbing, prostitution and reality celebrity counts more than character, we are paddling up feces creek.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2018, 06:07:07 AM »
Yeah well, it's not like polls ever changed anything. They just provide information, at least you know how the poll respondents thought about it.
I didn't think it would make you care.  :)

Assuming I can find the old one, I may just switch back or try something even newer.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2018, 06:09:48 AM »

Assuming I can find the old one, I may just switch back or try something even newer.
Mid-life crisis, Jim?
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2018, 06:45:09 AM »
Mid-life crisis, Jim?
You didn't ask that when he bought the Indian?

He's becoming a kinder more caring Jim, so he sought an avatar to soften his image. He thought posing with a pet dragon would do it, but upon closer inspection it turns out to be a slain dragon, and a not very mature one at that.  So he's still looking. He just didn't realize how good the other one was I guess. Sometimes we don't appreciate that which is right in front of us. I tell my wife that all the time.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2018, 08:17:28 AM »
+1 unless someone really pisses me off.

Offline Rubber_Snake

• Arena
  • 2009 GTR1400 ABS, Black
« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2018, 09:14:47 AM »

He thought posing with a pet dragon would do it, but upon closer inspection it turns out to be a slain dragon, and a not very mature one at that.  So he's still looking.
It looks more like the medieval version of posing with your clubbed baby harp seal.
2009 GTR 1400 ABS, 48k miles, AMSOIL synthetic 10W-40 (since new), AMSOIL synthetic 75W-90 final drive (since new). Helibar Horizons, Oxford heated grips, V-Stream windscreen, Mountain Runner Flash, Brian’s low fuel eliminator farkle, ST2 smart brake module and smart turn system, Two Brothers Black Series M5 w/P1X decibel killer.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2018, 09:27:10 AM »
It looks more like the medieval version of posing with your clubbed baby harp seal.

:rotflmao:

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2018, 09:34:40 AM »
Voting for the lesser of two evils gets you exactly what you voted for. Evil. It solves nothing and exacerbates the problem.
And you all (mostly) have fallen for the two party sytem, in the belief you must vote for one of two parties. You shouldnt be goting for a plitical party.
And a vote for someone else is not a wasted vote. The problem is so many are so brainwashed into this belief they will never vote for anything other than d or r. And as long as people do this the quality of candidates will never change. Your voting for them no matter how many promises they break-and the gop is best at that-tells them to continue screwing us.
You get what you vote for.
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2018, 03:53:07 PM »
Voting for the lesser of two evils gets you exactly what you voted for. Evil. It solves nothing and exacerbates the problem.  And you all (mostly) have fallen for the two party system, in the belief you must vote for one of two parties.

I agree with what you are saying in principle, but not in practice.  You are not going to convince millions of people to do the same- to take a risk voting for a "third party" or independent.... especially in major/large elections.  "Everyone" knows/believes it is "throwing a vote away" (which means it really is), so they vote against someone instead of for someone.  Fixing it by changing the system to a ranked voting system is difficult.  But trying to "fix" it by changing people- well, I expect that is a zillion times harder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7tWHJfhiyo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6pC5IJirrY
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2018, 12:45:32 AM »
We used to have a comedy series over here called "Yes Minister" (followed by "Yes Prime Minister" ) the basis of which is that it doesn't matter "who" is in "power" because it's the "career buearacrats" that are really in charge :)
--
space reserved for humourous sig file

Offline Conrad

« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2018, 04:21:36 AM »
Voting for the lesser of two evils gets you exactly what you voted for. Evil. It solves nothing and exacerbates the problem.
And you all (mostly) have fallen for the two party sytem, in the belief you must vote for one of two parties. You shouldnt be goting for a plitical party.
And a vote for someone else is not a wasted vote. The problem is so many are so brainwashed into this belief they will never vote for anything other than d or r. And as long as people do this the quality of candidates will never change. Your voting for them no matter how many promises they break-and the gop is best at that-tells them to continue screwing us.
You get what you vote for.

You're posting outside of the Arena?     :o

"Voting for the lesser of two evils gets you exactly what you voted for. Evil. It solves nothing and exacerbates the problem."

You do realize that the lesser of the two evils being referenced is Trump right?
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn