The C10, aka Kawasaki Concours - The Original > The Bike - C10

hydrolock rebuild advice

(1/2) > >>

sport rider:
I picked up a wounded C10 this week.  76k miles and hydrolocked.  other things about the bike are in good shape.

I have a used motor with 140k which is a known good motor.  Should I tear the two apart and use the hydrolocked bike as the basis for a rebuild, or just swap out the motor?  Either way the carbs have to be sent off to Steve and a new peckcock.

connie_rider:
Do you know for certain the rod is bent?
If no, I would check that first.

Ride safe, Ted

MAN OF BLUES:
problem is; without tearing both apart, down to the crank, you won't know what crank/rod bearings are in each, then you have to accommodate for them, if different.. then, which pistons, and rings? pretty much to do it right,along with the replacement rods; it's a bit more than a "slice and swap".

Rick Hall:
We don't do logic problems here ;) It depends. Want to ride it, sell it, or fix it?

Quick fix is to spoon a known good engine into the subject bike which could be done in a day. Then examine the subject engine from the subject bike and make repairs as your wallet allows. Once repaired, spoon it back in or save it for a spare.

Somewhat related, consider title issues if you spoon a used engine into a derelict bike, and then resell it.

Rick

MAN OF BLUES:

--- Quote from: Rick Hall on May 17, 2020, 12:25:33 AM ---We don't do logic problems here ;) It depends. Want to ride it, sell it, or fix it?

Quick fix is to spoon a known good engine into the subject bike which could be done in a day. Then examine the subject engine from the subject bike and make repairs as your wallet allows. Once repaired, spoon it back in or save it for a spare.

Somewhat related, consider title issues if you spoon a used engine into a derelict bike, and then resell it.

Rick

--- End quote ---

really should be no issue on Title, for resale. The engine number does not have to match the frame marking, and the frame marking is what drives the title papers. Kaw engines did not all have matching numbers with the frame from factory. If explained to a potential buyer, and it runs nice, it's moot.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version