Author Topic: Bar End Mirrors & Lane Splitting.  (Read 24745 times)

Offline Engraverwilliam

Bar End Mirrors & Lane Splitting.
« on: March 11, 2015, 09:19:24 AM »
Admittedly, I just got Sparrow (My c10) I've been splitting LA traffic for over a year on my other bike. Sparrow however is really wide with her mirrors. I've been looking at a very nice set of bar end mirrors that place the mirror on the ends and kind of above the hands.  Sometimes I split the 10 with the mirrors folded in because I've had so many close calls with mirror slapping.  I do not like folding them in though because then I cannot see if other bikes are behind me.

EDIT: After further consideration, I've decided to hold off on this idea.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 11:03:14 AM by Engraverwilliam »
William Evans
2001 Kawasaki zg1000 Concours - Age 45 , Los Angeles, CA

Offline Two Skies

• Arena
  • Road? What road?!?
Re: Bar End Mirrors & Lane Splitting.
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2015, 12:22:38 PM »
Ya know... with some creative mirror alignment, you could go with 4 mirrors instead of 2 (2 on the fairing, 2 on the bars).  The main issues with this that I can see would be making sure that the handlebar mirrors still clearing the fairing when you turn the bars, and of course aligning the mirrors to they aren't blocking each other's view.

Then you could just fold the Connie mirrors in when lane splitting, and still have the handlebar mirrors to see behind you with. 

The other issue with this would be that you'd slowly lose firmness due to friction from constant folding on the Connie mirrors (due to wear) so they might not want to stay positioned right (drag would slowly fold them inwards).  If you had a bunch of spare change and really good mechanical crafting skills, I suppose you could make 'electric folding mirrors' that fold back at the flip of a switch...
2006 w/50,000+ miles and a few bruises.

MCL Fork Brace & Handlebar Risers.  Bergmen Quick Release Tank Kit, Pilot GT Front/Avon Venom Rear tire.  Trunk w/spoiler.  NGK DR8EIX plugs.  Piece of foam in airbox.  Beads on seat.  Bafflectomized.  Murphs Kneesavers & Fuse Block.  Cee Bailey Winscreen w/vent.  Heated grips.  'Custom' mirrors.

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2015, 11:09:12 AM »
Fold them in and mount a rear view camera system on your bike.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline qman

• Autobahn Motors
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2015, 11:45:54 AM »
I know this won't go over well, but, lane splitting is courting disaster.

Offline Sgt Mac

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2015, 12:18:08 PM »
I know this won't go over well, but, lane splitting is courting disaster.

I know many non-motorcyclists who feel the same way about riding in general.

Offline Sgt Mac

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2015, 12:22:14 PM »
Just my opinion, but if you have to fold the mirrors in, you aren't allowing enough room. I filter but always allow a little extra just to make sure, its a bit easier here because its an expected behavior and the vast majority of motorists will concede lane space to do so.

Offline Engraverwilliam

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2015, 02:49:06 PM »
Yeah, I generally do have enough room to split. a lot of folks even move over too. It's just that our mirrors are at the same height as so many cars out there. In a year I never tapped anyone. in the 3 weeks I've had Sparrow, I've tapped two people so far. Always low speed thank goodness, and I always apologized. They are cheep enough, [the aux mirrors] might be worth a try. 
William Evans
2001 Kawasaki zg1000 Concours - Age 45 , Los Angeles, CA

Offline jworth

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2015, 04:32:48 PM »
If you have the bags attached, I believe they actually represent the widest part of the bike, granted they are lower and generally under the mirrors of cars, but it's worth considering.

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2015, 05:09:36 PM »
I hate to preach, but while we're on the subject of mirrors, Everyone needs a pair of spot mirrors.
get the wedge ones shaped like a door stop. Position the spot where you see nothing but elbow anyway. I can't ride or drive without them after getting used to them. They're awesome and absolutely required. ;)

I put my '08 ZX14 back to stock before trading it in. The ride to the Dealer without my spot mirrors was the worst ride ever. Once you get used to them, you can't ride without them. Yes, I'm talking to you. Get some.
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline LessPaul

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2015, 06:56:36 AM »
Got an example, jimmy? Did a quick search and didn't see anything wedge shaped.

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2015, 07:47:35 AM »
You bet, Paul. Let me get home tonight and I'll get a pic for you.

Offline Sgt Mac

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2015, 12:59:28 PM »
I hate to preach, but while we're on the subject of mirrors, Everyone needs a pair of spot mirrors.
get the wedge ones shaped like a door stop. Position the spot where you see nothing but elbow anyway. I can't ride or drive without them after getting used to them. They're awesome and absolutely required. ;)

I put my '08 ZX14 back to stock before trading it in. The ride to the Dealer without my spot mirrors was the worst ride ever. Once you get used to them, you can't ride without them. Yes, I'm talking to you. Get some.

I definitely use blind spot mirrors, round ones. Help to spot scooters creeping up in heavier traffic that I have to work through while they can glide on past.

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2015, 03:40:01 PM »
Looks like a hassle to post pics from my phone. They  carry them at any Wal-Mart or auto parts store. Round ones and rectangular ones.
The rectangular ones are wedge shaped. The round ones work, but the others give you a wider view. 8)

You can kind of see them in these shots...

« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 04:39:27 PM by jimmymac »

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2015, 05:34:11 AM »
Here's one of mine.  I make a little wedge out of plastic (window tint squeegee) to angle it outward a little more than just stuck to the flat glass.  Glue it on with "Shoe-goo" - sticks to glass great.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline Diff22000

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2015, 10:36:19 AM »
I use a piece of equipment called Riderscan.  Basically it is a mirror that cuts out blind spots and it has saved me a couple of times.   It does not negate the need for shoulder checks,  but it makes riding a lot easier.