Author Topic: Corona Virus  (Read 11203 times)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Corona Virus
« on: April 08, 2020, 02:22:29 PM »
As the other thread got closed I'm starting a new one.  It's going to be more of a discussion on how we're coping or not.  And it will be non-political and civil.

I certainly got overwhelmed with it a week ago.  Backed out of here and closed FB down.  On top of that the company decided to roll out a new and improved time and attendance application which was a bazillion more times complicated than what we were currently using.  And to top it off, it was a very dismal day here.  I had a melt down.  Not the crazy kind but more of a depression kind. 

So, I told my immediate supervisor that I wasn't going to use the new app, but I will use what we already have that works quite nicely for what I do.  I then scheduled a ride with my wife and a friend and went into western VA for the day this past Friday.  Had two friends over Sunday for a meal outdoors.  And I'm going to get refilled on my my favorite German beer this evening.  I don't think I'm going to re-activate FB anytime soon, though.

Food Lion still has food but no paper products.  Not too worried about that as my wife has other grocery stores she can tap much better than Food Lion.

Watching quite a bit of YouTube and Amazon video.  We don't get Netflix.

Hope all of you are coping with this..
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: Corona Virus
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2020, 02:58:48 PM »
Not too frantic here. The wife and I are both working in health care but not seeing a lot of covid action as we are pretty rural. Looking forward to getting things opened up again as soon as feasibly possible. Paper goods, while not overly abundant, are available as needed. A daily afternoon ride around the lakes goes a long way.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2020, 04:01:17 PM »
Actually had a pleasant trip to Walmart for shopping on Sunday at 10am.  First time I have been to a store in 2 or 3 weeks.  I wore a mask and gloves, seems like about half the other people were, also.  No lines, plenty of space.  They even had eggs.  I got everything on my list and there was no line at the self-checkout.  I was shocked.  Maybe I just picked the right time.

Supposedly, the day after (which was Monday), they started limiting how many people can go into the store and there was a line wrapping around the store (according to a co-worker).  So for once, I feel a bit lucky.  I don't handle long/slow lines very well.

One of my employees is still in the ICU from COVID-19; 7 days, now.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2020, 06:14:45 PM »
Glad all of you are doing ok!  My wife is in health care and my daughter as well but the daughter is working out of my home.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2020, 08:12:44 PM by VirginiaJim »
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline O.C.

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2020, 12:27:28 AM »
It's very scary here Jim, although in Northern Ireland we haven't experienced the effects as badly as on the U.K mainland where death figures are horrendous

U.K statistics

Confirmed 65,077
Recovered ?
Deaths 7,978

It may be that the 'peak' is imminent,

Many of us know folks who have been stricken down with this virus or at least directly affected by it....it knows no boundaries and has no respect

Without being too dramatic, I don't think life as we know it will ever be the same again 

CARPE DIEM

KAWASAKI VERSYS 650

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2020, 12:45:29 AM »
U.K statistics Deaths 7,978

Here are the numbers for the annual seasonal [regular] flu-related deaths for just England (not Britain/UK):

2014/15: 28,330
2015/16: 11,875
2016/17: 18,009
2017/18: 24,408

Here are the numbers for the annual seasonal [regular] flu-related deaths in the USA:

2014/15: 51,000
2015/16: 23,000
2016/17: 38,000
2017/18: 61,000
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2020, 05:01:31 AM »
If the covid season runs about 4 months like the flu season what's you extrapolated death toll?

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2020, 05:43:01 AM »
If the covid season runs about 4 months like the flu season what's you extrapolated death toll?

I couldn't begin to guess.  Simply not enough data.  It isn't a matter of just saying "perhaps we are halfway through" and multiply it times 2.  We still don't even know how long recovered immunity lasts.  Or even an estimate of how many have been exposed, never tested, and recovered.  And, of course, this isn't the typical flu.  One thing for sure, if it spread too quickly and our healthcare system were overwhelmed, it would be devastating (since a large portion of the deaths can be avoided with healthcare support).  So we need to keep the severe case numbers below our capacity to deal with it.

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2020, 07:19:35 AM »
Setting here in Houston. Bored and playing on the Computer.
Last few weeks have been too much TV, and staring at the Computer.
But I have slight COPD, which makes me higher risk, so here I set..

I would enjoy a ride. (Even though riding around Houston is not much fun)
But, I made the mistake of letting my plates expire on the bike.
Have to go to the Courthouse or other to get new, and that isn't going to happen.
Avoiding going to public places as much as I can.

As far as comparing the death rates of the Virus vs the flue. Social distancing and Stay at Home are slowing this Virus.
I feel, if we hadn't done these, the death rates would be much closer to what we see with the Flu.
This Virus seems to be wildly contagious.

I realize that these notes seem to be Doom and Gloom, and,,, the Media/etc may be blowing this out of proportion.
But we all have to do what we can to follow the guidelines.
Ya'll be safe!

Ride safe, Ted

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2020, 07:46:37 AM »
It's very scary here Jim, although in Northern Ireland we haven't experienced the effects as badly as on the U.K mainland where death figures are horrendous

U.K statistics

Confirmed 65,077
Recovered ?
Deaths 7,978

It may be that the 'peak' is imminent,

Many of us know folks who have been stricken down with this virus or at least directly affected by it....it knows no boundaries and has no respect

Without being too dramatic, I don't think life as we know it will ever be the same again 

Someone I didn't know, that touched my life, died in Scotland this past week.  SAS....God Bless them and all the militarys across the world helping us out.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2020, 08:08:01 AM »

It's not good.  While NY may be seeing some rays of hope...the rest of the country is just ramping up I fear.

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2020, 09:10:33 AM »
We live in a rural area 110 miles northeast of New Orleans where its very bad. Here in my parish only 38 cases and no deaths. I miss my gym and lunch rides the most. The weather has been nice and I have been riding every day but not stopping anywhere except for gas. I have been running 6 miles 3 times a week to keep in shape. Our family tradition for Good FRiday has been to throw a crawfish boil for my wife's brothers and their families but today it will be just the wife and I and one step-son.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2020, 03:25:09 PM »
Our family tradition for Good FRiday has been to throw a crawfish boil for my wife's brothers and their families but today it will be just the wife and I and one step-son.

I usually visit with friends 2 to 3 times a week and eat out.  Has been three weeks with none and it is starting to become annoying/depressing.  No weekly range time also is somewhat annoying, but I don't mind a break from that, at least not yet.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2020, 04:03:47 PM »
I would enjoy a ride. (Even though riding around Houston is not much fun)
But, I made the mistake of letting my plates expire on the bike.
Have to go to the Courthouse or other to get new, and that isn't going to happen.

Luckily, here in Ohio, the Gov laid out the plan, and said "plate/registrations" are a non issue.. as they closed all the EPA testing centers for 4 wheel, and walk in BMV is closed.. so we can run "expired stickers" until they open again...
2 days before they shut us all down, I got EPA tests and stickers on all the trucks.. and renewed my D/L.. fate... but lucky..
It's good to have a govt. that has some sensibility, and pushes things around, to make do.  meanwhile, I snicker, as even tho they can't really read the expiration date, on my plate sticker, even if they did, they would have to say "just go home..."...

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2020, 09:30:16 PM »
Luckily, here in Ohio, the Gov laid out the plan, and said "plate/registrations" are a non issue.. as they closed all the EPA testing centers for 4 wheel, and walk in BMV is closed.. so we can run "expired stickers" until they open again...

Same here in CO, DOT basically shut down. No title transfers, emissions, D/L renews for something like 60 days. Do the best you can, carry paperwork, and don't plan to get off scott free if your plates are two years expired ;)

Same for FAA (y'all know I'm a pilot). I have to get checked every two years, Commercial pilots every year, and ATP (747 type pilots) every six months. FAA basically said "yer fine for now, but don't do nuttin stoopid until we get this sorted out".

If ya wanna go for a ride, nothing really stopping you. Something recently popped into my feeble brane though, some/all/none of you might want to ponder.

Most all of us have been in lockdown for 2-6 weeks to prevent/reduce the spread of Covid-19. It's brutal, but I think it's the right thing to do. This story is somewhat relevant: https://durangoherald.com/articles/319788

If most of us are practicing isolation, or limiting our contact with the outside world, it shouldn't take a rocket surgeon to show that CV cases would drop at some arbitrary time, perhaps precipitously. I mean if we're not out and about, we can't catch it or transmit it. The chart of reported cases has no dips, why? Does the virus stay viable for days/weeks on a surface? Does it stay viable in the air? For how long? If it does, is six feet adequate? Can I be a carrier yet not show any symptoms (Typhoid Mary)? Am I immune to it once I catch it, and if I'm in that boat, can I re-infect others? Are we being led around by those in authority? The media? (best not reply to the last two question, else Jim gets out his sword ;) )

Rick
Rick Hall     1994 ZG 1000 "Sam"      xCOG #1914 (CO)
  GfNi H.P.   DOD #2040   1kQSPT 14.16   IBA #3274
    The Kawasaki Concours page at: www.zggtr.org

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2020, 03:15:56 PM »
And it's now a flaming sword...I'm just giddy with power at the moment..LOL.  We can thank Marty for that!

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2020, 03:18:14 PM »
We've been out on limited rides here in VA.  Usually just the wife and myself and we had one ride with another person.  Nowhere to stop and eat really so we either eat before or take something with us.  No one has bothered us (LEO's) either.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2020, 04:09:36 PM »
We've been out on limited rides here in VA.  Usually just the wife and myself and we had one ride with another person.  Nowhere to stop and eat really so we either eat before or take something with us.  No one has bothered us (LEO's) either.

Did this third person ride behind your wife or between you and her?  :o

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2020, 08:54:49 PM »
I led, he led...  The wife rode with me.   Don't forget the sword, Mr. Pink......lol.

On another note we took the truck down to Newport News to the Indian dealer down there and then came back 60 through Williamsburg, VA.  Essentially a ghost town.  I've never seen it like that and I don't know how they'll survive.  Busch Gardens....dead.  Colonial Williamsburg....dead.  The 60 strip....dead.  The Pottery more dead than usual.  If this don't kill them nothing will.

How about in your areas?  Those tourist towns that depend on out of towners to live?  Anyone been to Las Vegas recently?

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2020, 11:57:53 PM »
On another note we took the truck down to Newport News to the Indian dealer down there and then came back 60 through Williamsburg, VA.  Essentially a ghost town.  I've never seen it like that and I don't know how they'll survive.  Busch Gardens....dead.  Colonial Williamsburg....dead.  The 60 strip....dead.  The Pottery more dead than usual.  If this don't kill them nothing will.

No doubt some are suffering, or will be. We can do something though, and it could be considered trivial, but may help. I went to the local Safeway on my B-day, posted the following on my FakeBook page. Take it for what it's worth, perhaps it'll hit a cord for some of you that know a server or service person. Flip them a twenty 'just because'.

(quote)
Birthday, I can be a jerk if I want. Went shopping, Safeway, store was reasonably stocked. Head of lettuce, tonic water, and some other chit. New 'roving' employee spraying and wiping handles, sneeze guards at checkout lanes, markers on floor for safe distancing at checkout.

I was #2 for checkout, customer on the runway was just finishing up. #1 for checkout sneezed into his left hand, Dora (cashier) noticed and shoved the sanitizer bottle to him. I'm on final, my goods on conveyor, wheels now down.

Dora and I chat as I slip my chip card into the terminal and punch in $60 cash back. Dora scans and bags, I grab the bags and put in my cart. Receipt prints out, Dora places an assortment of folding money in her palm, rips the receipt off the printer, folds it, places it on the stack of bills, and tops it off with two Monopoly cards.

Here's where "jerk" comes in. Dora extends her hand with the paperwork, I reach around the sneeze guard and gently place my thumb and first finger between the receipt and tickets, leaving only the bills in her palm. Her smile changes to "deer in the headlight". I say "that's for you, perhaps you'd like to share it with your friends on the front line". Still "deer in the headlight", but her eyes are now tearing up.

Social distancing and all, I KNEW we couldn't exchange a handshake/fist bump, much less a hug. Dora did too. I beat a hasty exit to avoid stepping in a pile of tears, I said I'd see them in a couple of weeks, and thanks.

The one time I loved being a jerk, I'd like to think some of my friends can be jerks too, if they want.
(end quote)

Rick
Rick Hall     1994 ZG 1000 "Sam"      xCOG #1914 (CO)
  GfNi H.P.   DOD #2040   1kQSPT 14.16   IBA #3274
    The Kawasaki Concours page at: www.zggtr.org